What's new

Looking for tobacco advice.

I've smoked a pipe some in the past. Though I haven't used any of the tobaccos I see mentioned here. I'm not even sure what it was I bought back then. I smoke cigars from time to time now days. The forum here peaked my interest. I've picked out a cob pipe to start out with, but I'm unsure of what tobacco to go with. I'm not opposed to a strong tobacco. I tend to like a touch of sweetness as well. Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

My standard recommendation is to start with a corn cob and Carter Hall. CH is an easy tobacco to smoke and will help you build pipe smoking skill.

Unfortunately, though, CH probably won't deliver what you're looking for in the flavor department. For that, you may like english blends, or maybe an oriental forward english blend. Or maybe a Va/Per. Possibly a Va/Bur.

You know what, you're going to have to try them all. Start with Carter Hall since its easy to pack, light, and smoke. Then...you'll just have to experiment.

Your going to get a lot of suggestions here, but being that I dabbled in cigars before I tried the pipe, I found that the first couple of baccy's I tried that really grabbed hold were Carter Hall and Frog Morton Cellar. The CH is an easy to pack and smoke tobacco that is easy to keep lit. It was the first one that I made it to the bottom of the bowl with no relights.. FMC may remind you a bit of cigars as it has a woodsy sweetness to it, without any real artificial taste to it. This is still one of my favorites.
I don't have a large stash of tobacco and have not really tried that many, so I am sure you will get a lot more better suggestions, but these two would be good starters, I think.

You'll get a lot of suggestions, and I'm sure they'll be good ones. Since you've smoked cigars in the past I'd recommend one of my staples, G.L. Pease Robusto. I'd suggest a 2oz tin for starters. Other briar brothers will be along soon enough.

Also check out tobacco reviews dot com here.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I was going to suggest Carter Hall, but also Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut. The PS Cube Cut is easy to load (doesn't get any easier than any cube cut), and it's easy to smoke without being bland. Any of the PS burley blends also might work for you, as they all have a little bit of sweet to them without getting overly so. PS blends are relatively inexpensive and readily available from both online stores and those still surrounded by bricks and mortar. If you're coming off cigarettes, you might enjoy the Turkish or Dutch Cavendish.

If you like something more aromatic, you can check out Captain Black in the white pouch, which is a little sweeter and has some vanilla flavoring.

I like the sound of the captain black. I'll also have to try the Carter Hall. I think [MENTION=17381]Garlisk[/MENTION] hit it on the head. I will try a lot I'm sure. I'm just looking for a place to start. There's not much to choose from at my local tobacco outlet, but I think there's a cigar 40 minutes or so from me. I think I'll make a list from the suggestions I get and see what they have. Thanks to everyone so far.
My wife will be pleased that I have another "thing"(that's what she calls it with as much sarcasm as possible).

Carter hall and prince albert are good. Captain black was the first tobacco I tried. Wasn't bad when dried properly. Its very light. Lane 1q is light and very nice too. When I started I also grabbed a Virginia and english blend to try. Frog morton cellar was probably the first English blend that made me enjoy latakia. Lots of nice virginia blends like orlick golden sliced, dunhill flake, escudo, and many from peter stokkebye. Lots of good stuff out there. Hop in the water is warm :thumbup:

Its not terribly extensive. Sometimes 5-10 min can make all the difference. Sometimes more time is needed depending how moist it is. Most times aromatic tobaccos are more moist because or the toppings and casings used.

Its not terribly extensive. Sometimes 5-10 min can make all the difference. Sometimes more time is needed depending how moist it is. Most times aromatic tobaccos are more moist because or the toppings and casings used.

That's not too bad. I'm gonna try to pick some up over the weekend and try it out.

For what its worth, Captain Black White almost turned me off to pipe smoking entirely. Everywhere I went it seemed like an ubiquitous beginners blend. I found it extremely difficult to pack and keep lit, and it bit me every time I smoked it. This was all due to inexperience and lack of skill on my part, yes, but that is why I don't recommend it for a newbie.
If you want to try aromatics, I'd go with something less wet and finicky than Captain Black. Lane MV100 is a nice, light sweet aromatic that I find easy to smoke.

First off, buy yourself a second cob. Smoke non-aromatic blends in one and the aromatics in the other. An aromatic with a strong topping will leave a ghost in the pipe that will make its presence known on subsequent smokes. You won't notice this if the later smokes are other aromatics, but it will spoil the experience if you smoke a non-aromatic after something like Captain Black.

I would suggest taking a trip out to a better shop before getting too deep. I had a great shop when I lived in Oxford with the tobacco in jars behind the counter so you could smell different ones and (maybe most importantly!) get advice from the owner on what you're looking for.

I would suggest taking a trip out to a better shop before getting too deep. I had a great shop when I lived in Oxford with the tobacco in jars behind the counter so you could smell different ones and (maybe most importantly!) get advice from the owner on what you're looking for.

That's a good idea. I know of a cigar shop that may carry pipes and tobaccos, but I should be able to find something more specialized in Nashville.

So I bought a pipe last night. Just a cob pipe, but I like it. The only options I saw were bulk pipe tobaccos, such as I once rolled cigarettes with. I did find either Prince Albert or carter hall in a small pouch. I went with carter hall until I can get out a little farther to find some more options. Thanks everyone for the help.
The carter hall isn't bad, seems a touch harsh for me; but that may be the way I'm smoking it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pipe shops are getting harder to find here. Of course, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cigar shop.

That is a shame. I've recently gotten in to snuff (the dry, sniffing snuff) again, which isn't too easy to find in any real varieties. Even pipe shops here in my part of Austria are okay, but then just over the border in Switzerland, maybe 45 minutes drive, is a great shop for getting new tobacco for pipes

So I bought a pipe last night. Just a cob pipe, but I like it. The only options I saw were bulk pipe tobaccos, such as I once rolled cigarettes with. I did find either Prince Albert or carter hall in a small pouch. I went with carter hall until I can get out a little farther to find some more options. Thanks everyone for the help.
The carter hall isn't bad, seems a touch harsh for me; but that may be the way I'm smoking it.

Don't look down too much on the bulk blends in jars. They are often blends you'll see mentioned/recommended here, just in bulk form (and the more difficult part) rebranded. Example, since Lane's MV100 is sold in bulk, a shop will buy it by the pound, pop it into a jar, and label it with like "Our Best Vanilla" or some such. Once you get more of an idea of the flavor profiles and blend components you like, you could easily find yourself revisiting those shop's jars.

Don't look down too much on the bulk blends in jars. They are often blends you'll see mentioned/recommended here, just in bulk form (and the more difficult part) rebranded. Example, since Lane's MV100 is sold in bulk, a shop will buy it by the pound, pop it into a jar, and label it with like "Our Best Vanilla" or some such. Once you get more of an idea of the flavor profiles and blend components you like, you could easily find yourself revisiting those shop's jars.

These were tobaccos in bags. Such as bugler, gambler, ect....

Top Bottom