What's new

Under-rated items

Three or Four warm Beignet's and a hot cup of Joe from the Cafe Du Monde in Nawlin's. Miss it almost daily.

Not underrated by me! Although 3 or 4 seems rather heroic. Wonderful stuff.

Tying to the references to Vietnamese coffee, chicory is probably underrated/underappreciated, in general. My parents drank coffee with chicory most mornings and we sure did not live in NOLA, or Viet Nam! :)

Not underrated by me! Although 3 or 4 seems rather heroic. Wonderful stuff.

Tying to the references to Vietnamese coffee, chicory is probably underrated/underappreciated, in general. My parents drank coffee with chicory most mornings and we sure did not live in NOLA, or Viet Nam! :)

Like..../\/\/\/\Chicory and Beignet's.....hard to beat

The Vietnamese coffee and the filter is a real sleeper. The non-descript ~$3 filters and the coffee I get at the Asian store is super delicious. It is a nice change from my Lilly Espresso.

For tea, pretty much anything in the black variety from Pickwick and the PG Tips both loose and in bags is very nice.

This is the wife's favorite although I use the coffee in an Aeropresse.

My super cheap "Mr. Coffee" espresso maker. Less than 40 bucks and although I don't drink espresso, I have several friends and my wife and daughter who swear my lattes are as good as any they get in the gourmet coffee shops.

THAT is pretty interesting! A Baratza Vario grinder and a Mr Coffee! :tongue_sm

Very interesting.

Tell me more! Does it work well?

It works very well. Traditionally, the Vietnamese coffee, I use Trung Nguyen, is brewed in the traditional metal filter over Sweetened Condensed Milk. Instead of that, I use Italian Sweet Creme by Coffemate. I press the coffee into a coffee mug, add the creamer and then top off with more hot water from my hot water kettle. The coffee is, "silky", which is the term the wife uses. I make one or two cups for her each morning.

THAT is pretty interesting! A Baratza Vario grinder and a Mr Coffee! :tongue_sm

I noticed that too. 

I figured I would get that kind of response. LOL 99% of the coffee ground in the Vario goes in the Bonavita (on the left) and a Bunn upstairs in the bedroom. I can't make myself buy an expensive espresso machine, when I make it 1/2 dozen times a year. I stand by my claim that those I know who love espresso, also love it when I make it in my el-cheapo Mr. Coffee.

I can't make myself buy an expensive espresso machine, when I make it 1/2 dozen times a year. I stand by my claim that those I know who love espresso, also love it when I make it in my el-cheapo Mr. Coffee.

If you use it that infrequently, it should give you a good service life.

Espresso made with a pro or near pro machine is a different beast however and I find it tastes and feels much better than the home brew machines. If all you know is Starbucks, your espresso standards are pretty low IMHO as Starbuck espresso's I have had were not anywhere close to a good espresso.

I figured I would get that kind of response. LOL 99% of the coffee ground in the Vario goes in the Bonavita (on the left) and a Bunn upstairs in the bedroom. I can't make myself buy an expensive espresso machine, when I make it 1/2 dozen times a year. I stand by my claim that those I know who love espresso, also love it when I make it in my el-cheapo Mr. Coffee.
That's exactly why I started this thread.

If all you know is Starbucks, your espresso standards are pretty low IMHO as Starbuck espresso's I have had were not anywhere close to a good espresso.

I think most of ones I've had from there come away as sour and thin. Like the beans are older.
I like chemex. Is it underrated or overrated?
I think overall it might be underrated.

I think most of ones I've had from there come away as sour and thin. Like the beans are older.

Yes, you nailed my experience along with a very thin Crema. MY Pasquini Livia 90 with Lilly does an incredible job that blows all but the best barista's completely out of the coffee shop.

Sadly, those machines got super expensive and now seem to be out of normal production.

If you use it that infrequently, it should give you a good service life.

Espresso made with a pro or near pro machine is a different beast however and I find it tastes and feels much better than the home brew machines. If all you know is Starbucks, your espresso standards are pretty low IMHO as Starbuck espresso's I have had were not anywhere close to a good espresso.

I appreciate the advise, but my espresso standards are a non-sequitur. I don't drink espresso. Never have and never will. I keep the Mr. Coffee for the rare occasion that one of my guests can enjoy it and as long as I get no complaints, I will stick with plan A. I do, however, understand coffee snobbery. That's why I have a Vario grinder and Bonavita & Bunn drippers. I grind fresh beans for every pot. I don't like milk in my coffee and can't imagine putting any straight espresso in my mouth. For me, buying an expensive, high end espresso machine would be like buying an airplane. You know, in case my friend who's a pilot comes over to visit. At least with the plane, I would get a ride out of it.:001_smile

I appreciate the advise, but my espresso standards are a non-sequitur. I don't drink espresso. Never have and never will. I keep the Mr. Coffee for the rare occasion that one of my guests can enjoy it and as long as I get no complaints, I will stick with plan A. I do, however, understand coffee snobbery. That's why I have a Vario grinder and Bonavita & Bunn drippers. I grind fresh beans for every pot. I don't like milk in my coffee and can't imagine putting any straight espresso in my mouth. For me, buying an expensive, high end espresso machine would be like buying an airplane. You know, in case my friend who's a pilot comes over to visit. At least with the plane, I would get a ride out of it.:001_smile

For me it's not just snobbery, I drink espresso and I like what my machine produces better than what I can buy elsewhere. If I didn't drink espresso myself, I would not waste the counter space for my current machine or any other other.

When I started drinking British teas, I finally understood adding creme or milk to tea. Real cream or milk is also nice in some coffees too.

As long as you and your guests are happy, I don't see any issues. However, there is a difference that some people WILL notice. However, most psuedo-snob coffee drinkers are going to Starbucks for their "premium" coffee which IMHO opinion is destroying the coffee industry however, Starbucks shareholders are doing well.
:blush:

Coffee "with legs" is endangered in South America and in roads into Italy have started. The end of the world must be near ... or at least the end of great coffee at reasonable prices available from family run establishments is endangered. But I digress, eating at McDonald's in Rome is wrong too IMHO.
:frown:

As you can tell, I have some passion for great teas and coffees and I am concerned about the demise of small shops that make the local areas they inhabit unique and special. Do I really want to eat a BIG Mac or Whopper outside the Vatican? Or hit a Starbucks outside Roma Termini? [/rant mode off :wink:]

..... the end of great coffee at reasonable prices available from family run establishments is endangered...
As you can tell, I have some passion for great teas and coffees and I am concerned about the demise of small shops that make the local areas they inhabit unique and special. Do I really want to eat a BIG Mac or Whopper outside the Vatican? Or hit a Starbucks outside Roma Termini? [/rant mode off :wink:]

I hear you. About 25 years ago I stopped daily at a little mom & pop bakery near my job to get a cinnamon roll and coffee. It was the best coffee I ever had. I don't know how they made it and I wasn't smart/mature enough at the time to inquire. They are long out of business and I hope they retired happy and weren't forced out by a Starbucks, for which I have a similar contempt as yours. If every "gourmet" coffee shop in the world closed tomorrow, I wouldn't care. I appreciate your passion for espresso and I have similar passion for excellent black coffee, fine cigars, pipes & fine tobaccos, etc.. I feel bad for hijacking this thread, so we can return to underated coffee products. BTW, I can't wait to get me one of them Vatican Big Macs...:tongue_sm

This type of conversation is one of the reasons I love B&B, passion for quality, and finer things, more gentlemanly appreciation of life.

Top Bottom