What's new

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The Gem Blade

I mowed down a 3-day growth (3 more days, and it would be a beard) with a GEM Jr and Stirling's Tea Tree shave soap. Easy shave, and face felt soft, supple, and BBS.

GEM 1912-type razors and GEM PTFE blades are the greatest shaving combo EVER!

Captain's Choice 45th Parallel, Gem junior, two day beard, GEM stainless, hair just melted off my face! Wonderful shave!!!

You other fellas can have all the new fangled Johnny-come-lately razors, I've got the good stuff, and I'm takin' it with me when I go!!! :w00t:

Well I couldn't of agree with you anymore and that's why I've pretty well use my Gem OCMM everyday and to be happy as a pig in the mud. :lol:

Another great shave with my EverReady Streamline, almost as close as my Asylum Rx but a great shave anyway and a pleasure to use.

The only GEM razor I can get a nice smooth shave from every shave is the GEM Featherweight. Other Gem razors every once in awhile will give me some really bad irratition on my neck. I can't understand why. The only Gem razor I use now is the Featherweight.

View attachment 712168

My Featherweight delivers pretty good shaves as well. To me it feels as mild as a Tech, but you can hear it cutting through the stubble much more clearly, so it certainly sounds like it's more aggressive.

I have 3 of the newer SE razors that take the AC blades but I had never tried a vintage with a Gem blade until yesterday. I was blown away. I picked up a Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf at a flea market last week and tried it yesterday. It was one of the closest and smoothest 2 pass shave I have ever had. This is all I need another rabbit hole to jump into.
I'm resurrecting this thread a bit here, but I couldn't help myself after the first shave with a MMOC and new GEM PTFE blade. I have quite a few SE and DE razors and love them all, but the MMOC gave me a 2-pass BBS (WTG, ATG) shave without any irritation. I wouldn't describe the shave as the smoothest I've ever experienced, but that is surely due to my inexperience with the razor. Still, no sting with an alcohol laced witch hazel splash and no burn. Color me very impressed with these old SE razors. I could have spent $15 dollars for a razor and never needed another. [emoji3]

A lot of guys feel that the Artist Club type blades are much sharper and smoother than the GEM blades. Sometimes the GEM blades will irratate my neck really bad in some places. That never happens with an AC type blade. They are much sharper.

I'm one of those guys. I still enjoy using my Gems but the artist club blades are really nice and smooth and sharp.

Don't knock it until you try it.
I have 2 RazorRock Hawks, countless 1912s, a few 1914s, a Damaskeene, injectors, Micromatics, etc.
And the Lather Catchers - gotta love'em - they are mild but excellent (the GEM Jr ones).

[The 2 SEs I never cared for were the Streamline and 1924. So to each his own.]

This is not rocket science. The Hawk head has an excellent shape, better for *me* than most, and the FAC blades are better than the GEM PFTE blades. Better in that I find them to be: Sharper, Smoother and I since I more good shave of them than any other blade, cost-wise there is little or no difference.

My favorite razors all and all are probably: Hawk, Gillette SC New (With a superbly smooth Delta Echo replate), ER 1912, Gem Jr LC.

They are all great. For the last few weeks though, the Hawk is the one I use the most.

Too much fun here.

The Gem blade is getting jealous guys with all that newfangled gear out there using that feather artist club razor blade.
I heard the call from My Razor cabinet this morning ,So I just had to take one for a spin .
I chose to shave with a

Vintage Gem 1912 Style Damaskeene Single Edge Safety Razor

Great choice on My Part:thumbup:

I have not found a reason to jump on the band wagon OR The NEED to have that newfangled gear (I do sound Old here don't I )
I do know you guys love them and that is ok with Me just not for Me
I'm a Vintage Man in age and Love of Razors DE or SE just love them .
View attachment 710832View attachment 710833

Top Bottom