What's new

A nice Decanter for storing liquor?

I would like to get a nice decanter to store a nice bottle of liquor in. Does anybody know of any good ones to consider.

Im currently looking at ravescroft which seem really cool. Plus they are not made out of lead crystal so its safe to store the liquor in them for a long time and not have to worry about lead leeching in.

http://www.ravenscroftcrystal.com/collections/sommelier_decanter/index.html

anyway i suspect this might be for another forum but any ideas greatly appreciated.

Wine decanters are normally used to aerate wine and to separate red wine from any sediment that has developed. For liquor a decanter is merely an attractive storage container. However, as Paul Pacult, who produces the Spirit Journal, has noted, prolonged contact with air will cause some diminution of quality in the liquor (though it obviously does not go bad the way wine will). Thus, I would suggest that you choose a decanter that is relatively narrow and exposes a small portion of the liquor to air at any one time. And drink it up relatively quickly (within a few months)!

Ken

As Ken points out, it wouldn't be a good idea for prolonged storage. Whatever you choose, just make sure it is consumed pretty quickly.

Soap operas use these all the time. It serves double purpose: it is an indication of the wealth of the family, and it eliminates the need to disguise the label of the product.

I have several lead free, and leaded decanters, even a cheapo glass one from Bed Bath and Beyond but I usually keep it in it's own bottle.

Top Bottom