What's new

Artaunon help!

Are you sure that it's flat? Mine's super easy to use. I prefer to hone a razor to an 8k level and then just finish on the Artaunon. Water, oil or glycerine. It all works.

Lapping off grids does not ensure flatness. Pencil marks come off way before the stone is flat.

By any chance - did you email the seller? I'm sure Peter can help.

Thanks Gamma, I had no idea about the pencil marks. Always learning from everyone here. I will reach out to Peter and see what he has to say.

Yup, I fell into the grid trap early on with a new Jnat. I was being lazy. A few months later when I decided to use the edge of my Atoma to check for true, I had two dished areas, I was so shocked I had to grab a straight edge level ...just to make sure my Atoma edge wasn't lying to me, lol. Lots of lapping later its flat. Good habits now will pay off later. Sorry no idea about your stone, but I hope you get it sorted!

I picked up one to use while travelling over the summer. Really easy to use. I was doing a light slurry kicked up with a fine DMT leading to a water-only finish. Then a handful of licks on a Frictionite barber's hone. I didn't have much luck with the Thuringian add-on slurry.

As for lapping, I never really did this. It was stamped so nicely, and as I was generating a slurry, I assumed that a fresh enough surface was there. The stone was pretty small, leading to a point-by-point rather than linear approach when honing. Subsequently, insistence upon flatness seemed a bit of a moot point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom