What's new

Mild or Aggressive?

Where do the Gillette Super Speed and the Schick Silver Tip Krona fall on the mild - aggressive scale?

Medium mild, I'd say. What I will say about the Krona, while mild, is that it is extremely efficient. Paired with a sharp blade, I can get a CCS in a pass and a half.

Medium mild, I'd say. What I will say about the Krona, while mild, is that it is extremely efficient. Paired with a sharp blade, I can get a CCS in a pass and a half.

+1 . If Schick were start making Krona razors again and mail them out like Gillette did with Mach 3, there would be tons of new DE shavers born in very short period of time.

Really like my Krona and Super Speeds! I would agree with the general consensus that they are medium mild, and all give a really good shave.

Thank you gentlemen!

I own one of each but began to wonder (before trying them) if they would be too aggressive for this newb. Just finished my first shave with the SuperSpeed (Astra SP) and must say it is nice. Mich lighter than my Merkur 34C, but no complaints on the outcome.

I have heard that the Krona is milder on one side than the other. Is this true? If so, how aggressive is the non-mild side? I will likely give it a go tomorrow.

I have a black tip and silver tip. They shave identically on either side, but the silver tipped one is slightly more aggressive (still fairly mild though). Both lovely shavers and ideal for a beginner.

Last edited:
I just put a blade in my Krona (first time) and performed a highly scientific study of the blade exposure on each side of the head. :bored:
I see no difference.
So, tentatively, I will assume that each side is equally medium mild.

Well, I would guess that if you have a two edged blade, you'd want to use
both sides. So, rather than having to open the razor and turn the blade
around, you can simply use alternating sides of the razor.

Perhaps I am confused here on the question. I was concerned if the Krona
had unequal edge exposure on the two sides, thus making one side more
aggressive than the other. Maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time. :tongue_sm

Why two sides on a DE blade?

The blade will last twice as long.

And the shaver has to rinse the razor only one-half of the time, as opposed to a SE shaver. Example: Shave blade side A. Twist handle for side B. Shave blade side B. Rinse. And so forth.

Both of these features present subtle but tremendous advantages for the DE shaver, as opposed to the SE shaver. It also suggests 2 reasons why historically DE razors far exceeded SE razors in popularity.

OK, so does that date code make mine fall into the mild or aggressive category?
It has more blade gap and slightly more blade exposure than earlier generation Gillette TTO's. TTO's made from 1940-1947 have the the least blade gap. 1948-1950 have a little more blade gap. And 1951-? have a little more blade gap. Not sure of when the changes came after '51, I prefer the first 2 generation Gillette TTO's.

The differences between the generations are small but noticeable.

It has more blade gap and slightly more blade exposure than earlier generation Gillette TTO's. TTO's made from 1940-1947 have the the least blade gap. 1948-1950 have a little more blade gap. And 1951-? have a little more blade gap. Not sure of when the changes came after '51, I prefer the first 2 generation Gillette TTO's.

The differences between the generations are small but noticeable.

I used it this morning for the first time and even with a fresh Derby blade, my shave was perhaps the closest I have had since beginning this WS business a month ago. Just 2 Pass with a bit of touch up. Angle was different than my Merkur 34C and my Jagger (both pretty mild). But I did get one little nick. Fortunately I did not bleed out.

I have both and would say they are very much alike in their shave quality. Higher end of mild just shy of medium IMV.

Top Bottom