What's new

Hello All - How I got Here (Or, There and Back Again.

I have recently gone back to DE shaving after 40 years of cheap disposables.

I started out using Gillette DE razors, like most people at the time, but I soon switched to disposables and canned foam because they were cheap, easy to get and fast - important considerations when I was 17. By comparison, DE razors were a big ritual that I simply didn't have time for.
I accepted the fact that the nicks and raw, red areas on my neck were a normal consequence of not having a beard. I dealt with that by only shaving every other day - straight down, top to bottom, and out the door.
This went on for 40 years.

All that changed when I had to start taking an anti-clotting drug.
Those annoying little nicks became a major pain in the butt because they would bleed for half the day, and the irritated areas would weep for hours. I tried every styptic on the market but spent A LOT of time taking blood stains out of the collars of white dress shirts.
I dealt with that by going over my whole face with an alum block, but it was only marginally effective and made my skin look like hell.
I also started shaving the night before, instead of in the morning. This helped, but by mid-day my bad shave looked like a cartoon hobo from L'il Abner, and it would still bleed sometimes anyway.

In frustration, I tried using better canned foam - Nivea or Neutrogena - and it actually helped.

I was onto something ! Better products worked . . . BETTER !

So I upped the ante, and ordered some DR Harris Marlbourough Soap in a wooden bowl and an Edwin Jagger Super Badger brush.
And it worked . . . EVEN BETTER !

I decided to try using better razors, even though I was sure that they were all the same, because I had used every brand of disposable over the years - the cheap blue ones, yellow & white, even the green ones - and they were all about the same.
I bought a Schick Quattro in complete confidence that it was a huge waste of money, but . . . it worked BETTER !

I kept pressing my bets and did a little research, and stumbled over the idea of shaving "with the grain."
It was a revelation.

Now that I had been forced to put some thought into shaving, instead of just scraping the hair off my face with a .25 cent plastic toy, I was getting MUCH better results.
Like, night-and-day better. I was perfectly content for about six months.

Then I recently said, "Maybe an old-fashioned DE razor might be worth a try - how hard can it be ?" and ordered a Muhle R-89 and a few packs of Astra SP blades. (And some more soaps. I really like the brush-and-soap aspect of this :lol:)

I have been using this setup for about a week and it is MUCH easier to use than most people online make it out to be :biggrin1:

I take my time and spend about 20 minutes shaving before bed every night. I have the time for it and it's relaxing. I've been getting really good shaves (by my standards :wink2:) that look good the whole next day, and I haven't nicked myself once or seen one drop of blood. My skin looks 100% better, especially my neck.

So that's where I'm at with it - Happy to be here ! :001_smile

(And some more soaps. I really like the brush-and-soap aspect of this :lol:)
Uh-oh. You've got it now - SAD (Soap Acquisition Disorder).
Don't be afraid to experiment with the inexpensive hard soaps (such as Williams Mug, or Wilkinson Sword in the blue bowl) commonly found in Walmart or local pharmacies, but do treat yourself to some artisanal soaps once in a while.
The only treatment (it's not a cure, per se) for SAD is to balance it with BAD and RAD (Brush Acquisition Disorder, Razor Acquisition Disorder)

So I upped the ante, and ordered some DR Harris Marlbourough Soap in a wooden bowl and an Edwin Jagger Super Badger brush.
Are you using that bowl to build lather, or do you have a separate lather bowl?

I take my time and spend about 20 minutes shaving before bed every night. I have the time for it and it's relaxing.
It's all part of the "spa experience" and ritual.
For me, building the lather in a bowl is one of the more entertaining procedures.

But . . . only 20 minutes?
I'm lucky if I'm in and out in 45 minutes, but I do a ten-minute shower for prep, and an extensive cleanup afterwards.
I'm retired, so I have lots of time for it, usually at night.

So that's where I'm at with it - Happy to be here ! :001_smile
Now you have to watch out that you don't evangelize too much to your cartridge/disposable/electric-using friends. $loveshower.gif

Uh-oh. You've got it now - SAD (Soap Acquisition Disorder).
Don't be afraid to experiment with the inexpensive hard soaps (such as Williams Mug, or Wilkinson Sword in the blue bowl) commonly found in Walmart or local pharmacies, but do treat yourself to some artisanal soaps once in a while.
The only treatment (it's not a cure, per se) for SAD is to balance it with BAD and RAD (Brush Acquisition Disorder, Razor Acquisition Disorder)
Yes, I've already got my eye on a stiffer Shavemac brush :wink:

Are you using that bowl to build lather, or do you have a separate lather bowl?
I load the brush on the soap while it's in the wooden bowl, and build the lather on my face. The brush feels good on my face :)

It's all part of the "spa experience" and ritual.
For me, building the lather in a bowl is one of the more entertaining procedures.

But . . . only 20 minutes?
I'm lucky if I'm in and out in 45 minutes, but I do a ten-minute shower for prep, and an extensive cleanup afterwards.
I'm retired, so I have lots of time for it, usually at night.
20 min. of actual shaving. By the time all is said and done, probably half an hour.
After decades of burning everything at both ends, it feels incredibly self-indulgent.

Now you have to watch out that you don't evangelize too much to your cartridge/disposable/electric-using friends. View attachment 707696
Nah, most of the guys I work with already think I walked out of a black-and-white movie . . .
. .

What an interesting journey! Welcome, and glad to hear you're having success. Let us know how things progress for you.

Sounds like my trip around the barn, although I used my Dad's injector razor for a decade or so before I switched to cartridges.

Back when they first came out, Astra's weren't all that bad other than limited life. My nearly blind college roommate taught me to shave by feel in the shower, and I discovered by myself I have to make at least one pass against the grain to get a decent shave -- with the grain pretty much doesn't remove anything on my cheeks and neck.

My nephew got interested in straight razors, so I started looking around (not that I needed any more hobbies, eh?) and I tripped on B&B somewhere along the line. Before long I got interested in DE razors, so a month and a half ago I got some, and some blades. And some soap, and some brushes, and some more razors, and more soap, and more brushes (actually, knots, I turn handles for them).

And for the last few days, I've gotten very very nice shaves. Several different blades, too, so it's not just some magical blade. Got 22 shaves from my first blade, believe it or not, and will probably get more now when and if I ever get back to Astra's -- testing blades is slow when you get 20+ shaves out of each one!

Takes me 15 minutes or so to do a two pass with cleanup shave, managed almost BBS this morning without much fuss. Pure heaven compared to hacking away in the shower with cartridges that felt dull right out of the package.

Peter

Top Bottom