What's new

Chicken salad sandwich

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like a chicken salad sandwich. Didn't grow up eating them. First one I ever ate was at Thundercloud Subs, loved them ever since.

Now I soup them up:

Roasted or rotisserie chicken. A mixture of both white and dark meat
A big scoop of Mayo with a little bit of Miracle whip
A small scoop of Dijon mustard
handful of dried cranberries
handful of toasted walnuts
1/2 cup of diced celery
1/2 cup of finely diced white onion
s&p to taste
chopped tarragon (this is a must)

Eat it with a nice ripe sliced tomato.

How do you make yours? Or who makes a good one in your town?

Walnuts are nice. So are grapes. So are raisins.
Curry powder, if you like it, makes for a nice variant.

I can get behind a bit of mustard -- but would not allow Miracle Whip anywhere near a sandwich.

I like mine a bit more plain: chicken (white and dark), onion, celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Maybe some mustard and maybe some sage.

I grew up making it like my mom. I use leftover chicken, mayo and then whatever is in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator. That could be green peppers, cucumber, hard boiled egg (cruel to chickens everywhere), always have at least one onion, parsley and whatever seasoning strikes me at the time. I like curry, red pepper, paprika, taragon, sage, rosemary lots of black pepper and viola!

Lots of great ideas here.

I usually add white and dark meat, mayo, salt, pepper, garlic powder, grapes, onions, and walnuts.

But next time I am definitely adding Curry powder. That sounds good!

My wife boils the chicken and breast meat only. Lots of mayo, sliced celery, sliced almonds. Pretty plain. I like to use grilled chicken for a little more flavor. Serve it black with pepper and enjoy.

Walnuts are nice. So are grapes. So are raisins.
Curry powder, if you like it, makes for a nice variant.

I can get behind a bit of mustard -- but would not allow Miracle Whip anywhere near a sandwich.
Very similar. Walnuts and turmeric or curry powder.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I like to start with grilled chicken too. Besides the chicken, in order of approximate volume (I haven't used the recipe in some time), halved grapes, mayo, a good crumble of bleu cheese, diced celery & somewhat less onion, a dash of red wine vinegar. some parseley ... Fresh black pepper goes without saying.

It's the cheese that makes it for me, though I've picked up a couple ideas from the earlier posters

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When it comes to chicken sandwiches, I like to just cut it up and put it on bread with mayo. Sam's has rotisserie chickens for $5. I bought a couple last week- at checkout I found out they were $4 off. Two bucks for two cooked chickens- I felt I hit the jackpot. I gave one of them to the wife for soup, then started making sandwiches.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Aaron, HEB sells a mean turkey salad. It has cranberries! Oh my but it's good!!!
With chicken salad I use whatever chicken I have, boiled eggs, pickles, salt, pepper, and mayo.
I am allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts so those don't get added and being an insulin dependent diabetic I don't do apples.
I know. I know.
My true friends ask why I just don't shoot myself!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron, HEB sells a mean turkey salad. It has cranberries! Oh my but it's good!!!
With chicken salad I use whatever chicken I have, boiled eggs, pickles, salt, pepper, and mayo.
I am allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts so those don't get added and being an insulin dependent diabetic I don't do apples.
I know. I know.
My true friends ask why I just don't shoot myself!!

I know, I buy that one all the time.

When it comes to chicken sandwiches, I like to just cut it up and put it on bread with mayo. Sam's has rotisserie chickens for $5. I bought a couple last week- at checkout I found out they were $4 off. Two bucks for two cooked chickens- I felt I hit the jackpot. I gave one of them to the wife for soup, then started making sandwiches.

I like it simple as well, slices of whatever may be left from the grilled/rotisseried/roasted bird, fruilano cheese, mayo, dijon mustard, salt and pepper, lettuce, multigrained bagel or bread.

A single 3.5lb uncooked chicken would run me ~$10.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Dadgum it, where's the hot sauce in all this?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Aaron, you might like a changeup of dried cherries and toasted pecans in place of the dried cranberries and walnut once in a while too. :001_smile

Top Bottom