What's new

Old Type found in the wild

No serial number, weight is 55g, no patent info on head, does that make this a 1927 Pocket Edition or could it be something else?

Weight on Mr-Razor.com says 54 but scale could be slightly off.

$IMG_6406.jpg $IMG_6407.jpg

$2016-12-07_7-48-07.jpg

Second question I have is if the top of the handle is supposed to pull out, I'm guessing no but fairly common. Is there a fix other than a small amount of epoxy?

$IMG_6409.jpg

Nice find. No, the top is not supposed to come out. Epoxy is a fine solution as is JB Weld. Enjoy.

Even super glue will work if you use it.

They really are good shavers with a little practice.....

Cheers,
Kevin

Sadly I will not be the one enjoying it. I posted this for my brother who recently got into this little hobby of ours and picked this up yesterday.

I will however enjoy continuing to bombard him with daily emails and texts with links to new purchases he needs to make. Been pretty successful in getting him to spend some coin so far :devil2:

Sadly I will not be the one enjoying it. I posted this for my brother who recently got into this little hobby of ours and picked this up yesterday.

I will however enjoy continuing to bombard him with daily emails and texts with links to new purchases he needs to make. Been pretty successful in getting him to spend some coin so far :devil2:

Put him on B&B pronto!!!

Second question I have is if the top of the handle is supposed to pull out, I'm guessing no but fairly common. Is there a fix other than a small amount of epoxy?
I have a Ball-end Long Comb NEW with a similar problem, but it's the other end that falls out, and it's due to the cracked handle.

You got a nice find though. :thumbup1:

If you're going to epoxy, slip in a piece of a 5/16 bolt for added weight. (epoxy the bolt in)

Do NOT do this! The balance will be all wrong! Repair it back to original, please. You'll be glad you did. :thumbup1:

We don't have to modify everything we encounter in this life, appreciate things for what they are. :thumbup:

I have to concur with Toby, changing the weight and balance of this fine razor should be avoided. It is such a good razor in the hand as a result of its original design.

Interesting about the "no patent info" on head. I have several NDC OT's and none of them have patent info on the head, but I have about a 50/50 mix of razors of this type, some with patent info on the handle, some without.

Not sure why Gillette would have released a version of the handle tube with no patent info on it?

I will continue to feel no remorse either, especially since he only paid $2.50 for the Old Type.

I have to concur with Toby, changing the weight and balance of this fine razor should be avoided. It is such a good razor in the hand as a result of its original design.

Interesting about the "no patent info" on head. I have several NDC OT's and none of them have patent info on the head, but I have about a 50/50 mix of razors of this type, some with patent info on the handle, some without.

Not sure why Gillette would have released a version of the handle tube with no patent info on it?

I agree on not adding any additional weight. I don't know the history behind no patent info on the head but I'm sure someone around here probably does. I am amazed at the knowledge some folks have around here.

Top Bottom