What's new

Otto Roth inc. / Gillette dual stamped razor

Does anyone have info on the history of the Otto Roth Inc. / Gillette stamped razor with the Otto Roth logo stamp- defaced?
$IMG_0929.jpg
$IMG_0928.jpg

Was this an Otto Roth design that wasn't a Gillette in any way until Gillette took over Otto Roth?

In other words, is the New an Otto Roth razor, originally designed and manufactured by Otto Roth?

Was this an Otto Roth design that wasn't a Gillette in any way until Gillette took over Otto Roth?

In other words, is the New an Otto Roth razor, originally designed and manufactured by Otto Roth?

As far as I know Gillette bought out Otto Roth and then sold them under that name in the US. When they finally stopped selling them under that name they used up the last of the Otto branded base plates by crossing out the Otto name. I had a Otto Roth and liked it better than the regular New. The recess for the handle is larger to allow more handles to fit.

There is a post that explains it better, I'll see if I can find it.

Here It is....

Yes, Gillette acquired the German company Roth-Büchner in 1926, according to articles in the American Cutler and Iron Age magazines from that time, as well as McKibben in Cutting Edge. Several years after the acquisition Roth-Büchner opened a big new factory that is still Gillette Germany, today.

Gillette used some of Roth-Büchner's brand names in the American market as sort of a second tier to be able to offer cheaper products without diluting the Gillette name. I have read, for example, that Gillette blades that didn't pass their full QC checks but were still good enough to sell got sold under the Rubie label.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know these Otto Roth razors were made by Gillette in their Boston plant and were just sold under the Otto Roth name. So they're not really so much "clones" as "white labels." I've never actually seen any of their original packaging, though, so that's a really nice find.

​

But was the New design from the mind of an Otto Roth guy, or a Gillette guy? If Otto Roth had never existed, would the New be different?

Here's a picture of my Otto Roth base plate. This one doesn't have the Gillette logo or have the Otto Roth inc crossed off. The made in USA is puzzling since I thought they were made in Germany before Gillette purchased them.
$tmp_11153-20161207_074147-726191870.jpg

Here's a picture of my Otto Roth base plate. This one doesn't have the Gillette logo or have the Otto Roth inc crossed off. The made in USA is puzzling since I thought they were made in Germany before Gillette purchased them.
View attachment 707531

It was made in Boston..
I could be wrong, but as far as I know these Otto Roth razors were made by Gillette in their Boston plant and were just sold under the Otto Roth name. So they're not really so much "clones" as "white labels." I've never actually seen any of their original packaging, though, so that's a really nice find.

So what was made at the Otto Roth factory?
It is my understanding that Gillette after buying the Otto Roth name opened the Otto Roth plant in Boston. It produced razors under the Otto Roth name until it stopped the Otto Roth line and then the plant produced Gillette razors. It used the left over Otto Roth parts but crossed out the Otto Roth name.

This is all I have gathered from reading on B&B. So since it is on the internet it must be true!

Top Bottom