What's new

Brush confusion for the new guy

If they had been around when I was starting and had I been smart enough to inquire, I would have appreciated a reference to Stirling synthetic brushes. I do not own one (I have a Plisson from L'Occitane, a Whipped Dog and a CH2 in synthetics and I like them all), but the quality and price of Stirling brushes appear to be very good.

The silvertip is denser and softer, but the HM badger has more backbone and almost as soft tips.

Another example of the disparity between brushes. My WD high mountain is both denser and softer tips than a larger frank shave silvertip I have.

Also OP you can find the Omega brushes all over US based sites like Maggards or West Coast. Won't have to worry about customs or long shipping times.

Best starter brush, in my opinion, is 24mm synthetic, the newer fauxmere style. Razorock and Maggards are generally the most affordable, and are good brushes in general, not just good "starters".

Buy them all. You know you are going to anyways. LOL

My recommendation on starters....

Get a synthetic and badger brush from Stirling. You can pick up a soap and AS while you are there. Rod is a pleasure to work and his products are well regarded around here.

Grab a boar - Omega or Semogue - it'll run you $10-$20 for most models.

Done. Just give it a year or two and you'll see your brush collection grow 2x-4x.

Another vote for Whipped Dog HMB for excellent backbone and silky smooth tips. They are every bit as good as the more expensive badger brushes, imo.

Top Bottom