What's new

Today I used two of B&B's most hated

Yes gentlemen, today I did it. I shaved using not only a Derby blade ( shave #1, Parker 99R), but I also lathered with Williams Mug Soap! And I had an awesome shave!

I've actually been using Williams about 3 times a week for the last month and liking it. Today was the first time that I used a Derby in a couple of months. Just as smooth and comfortable as I recalled. If it were a tiny bit sharper this could be an everyday blade. But it's not. It is worth keeping some around, however.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try Derby and some Edge Gel. Or Williams with a Mach 3.:lol:

haha ! excellent !

I used something maybe worse ;) my wade and butcher straight wasat home so I used a "Bic" disposable orange shaver and the ugly French "monsavon" soap not sure I can do worse tomorrow lol :)

when mennen old spice stopped making pucks for their mugs in the early '70's williams was the only puck available, even though it was a bit smaller, but i used it.
now that i've gotten back to DE shaving, i put a williams in the turkish copper hammered bowl, put it in my regular rotation, and it works great. i do; however, have to use a little more water.

there's Always a plan B.

So what does all this mean to the average wet shaver? Is there a lesson here?

I have no idea who or what the average wet shaver is. If Joe Average checks in he can tell me if there is a lesson here.

I do find it amusing that two products that I really enjoy seem to be vilified by the majority of people here.

Yes gentlemen, today I did it. I shaved using not only a Derby blade ( shave #1, Parker 99R), but I also lathered with Williams Mug Soap! And I had an awesome shave!

I tried Derby's awhile ago, I think 10 blades. I found them to be OK, but have settled on brands that work better for me. I used Williams soap for years quite some time ago, and was very satisfied with it. It's still a decent soap, IMO. Enjoy!

So what does all this mean to the average wet shaver? Is there a lesson here?

IMO, yes, there is a lesson or at least the lesson I learned... The shave is about 80% the guy behind the razor, it is in the technique you find for yourself. I can use about any blade, in and razor, with any brush, and any soap or cream I keep and I get consistently great shaves.

So I'm brand new to this forum and straight razor shaving. I use Williams Mug soap and it works great for me. I don't know any better nor do I plan on trying the luxury soaps (they are overpriced and over rated). Just doesn't make sense....

With that being said, will I be among those whom are hated and looked down upon because of my choices of shaving soap?

Johnny

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
So I'm brand new to this forum and straight razor shaving. I use Williams Mug soap and it works great for me. I don't know any better nor do I plan on trying the luxury soaps (they are overpriced and over rated). Just doesn't make sense....

With that being said, will I be among those whom are hated and looked down upon because of my choices of shaving soap?

Johnny
I think you'll be just fine. Williams is a long debated shaving soap around these parts. Some love it, some not so much. I enjoy it personally.[emoji2]

I'm alright with Williams performance, but I despise the scent. To me a fresh puck of Williams smells remarkably similar to citronella. I'm planning on experimenting with a puck tonight to make it more to my liking.

I'm glad derbies work for you. I've found that they're OK for me in a Gillette old type, for two shaves. In every other razor I've used I just can't seem to cut through my stubble.

After trying out my sample pack of blades, Derby was my first large blade order (along with Lord Platinum's).
They work very well for me.

Johnny

No sir...it matters not what others think, only that each of us find what works and what allows us to relax and enjoy a fine shave.

Johnny
Not by me, I like Williams and will be replenishing my stock of it shortly.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Fantastic! I wanted to like to Williams, but I just couldn't muster the Shave Fu to get the lather good enough. I know its been done and some people swear by it, but not for me.

I never tried Williams but who cares what others think. I have Williams on my someday list. Do what is best for you. I have tried Derby's but did not work for me.

Last edited:

Johnny

You definitely won't be looked down upon, to each his own! But I'm not sure you can accurately say soaps that cost more than Williams are overpriced or overrated if you haven't tried them. Especially when you can get some great ones in the $5 to $10 range that'll probably last twice or three times as long as Williams.

I always believe in paying less attention to what people say about a product but judge for yourself. With that said, I am not a fan of Williams or Derby - but that is only for me. Every person should try them since they are so inexpensive - and form your own opinion.

Top Bottom