What's new

Pine/Coniferous soap with strong scent?

Italian barber italy 1955 is quite similar to pino sylvestre soap if not identical.Both of them are not on the strong side of soaps.They are in the middle of the road in the scent strenght levels.
I like piney scents too but they are hard to find .I am also on the search for a strong pine scent.I thought stirling might fit the bill but as i understand their piney scents are not so strong.
I also have tiki-into the forest which is a woodsy/piney type of scent.It is quite strong and a great performer but the woodsy elements are stronger than the piney ones.

P.s i have seen some piney scents from Van yulay but i dont know how they smell/perform!!!

Last edited:
B&M Taiga is the winner for me. And the matching AS is fantastic!
I went to their website and it bums me out that I can't seem to find a matching AS that contains alcohol. Their line scented AS is alcohol-free.

Now for me personally, an AS without alcohol is like drinking scotch whisky without alcohol....and that just ain't happen'n!
:em1500:

But, based on your recommendation, I just ordered their Taiga pine scented shave soap! I'm glad I found your post.

Last edited:
Two nice soaps I can think of.
pino Silvestre and pre de Provence no. 63

View attachment 706358
While I don't have their soap, I do have the Pino Silvestre EdT spray in the green pine cone glass bottle. It's a spray (vs an open top bottle) which I don't like, but the scent is very "pine" scented. I use Osage rub and splash it on the face after a shave, then spray the EdT on because Osage doesn't really have a scent that lasts more than 10 minutes. It only takes a little spray of the EdT and it's perfect stuff to use during Christmas time. The wife loves it.

Thanks everyone!

I've ordered a sample of the Taiga (and a few others). Hopefully one of them will satisfy my desires.

I'll report back on what I find.

Not a soap but a shave jelly: Portland General Store's Alpine Jelly. Pretty much smells like you rubbed a fir tree over your face.

I've really enjoyed Mystic Water's Poggio di Pini. Description:

This scent reminds me of hiking on the wooded hills behind my former home in Sardinia, Italy. Poggio means knoll or hill, Poggio dei Pini is literally "hill of pines". It smells of pine and cypress trees, and the dry resinous underbrush of wild plants called the "macchia mediterranea" that grow everywhere, a masculine but subtle outdoors fragrance. With lanolin and fragrance.

I went to their website and it bums me out that I can't seem to find a matching AS that contains alcohol. Their line scented AS is alcohol-free.

Now for me personally, an AS without alcohol is like drinking scotch whisky without alcohol....and that just ain't happen'n!
:em1500:

But, based on your recommendation, I just ordered their Taiga pine scented shave soap! I'm glad I found your post.

Just pair it with Stirling Coniferous aftershave, which is alcohol based. Could have also went with the First Snow B&M aftershave, which is a fir+leather blend.

I really enjoy Soapy Bathman's Lumberjack, and Italy 1955 from Italian Barber. Lumberjack might be hard to acquire now though as it's very limited in production.

I like Captain's Choice North a lot. My favorite evergreen scent is l'Occitane Cade. However, the wild juniper scent of Cade is not as strong as some of the previously mentioned others so you may not like it. It is however, very pleasant and natural and Cade does provide a very nice shave also. The Cade aftershave balm is truly a great performer, but does not really smell like the soap so I often use Captain's Choice North aftershave splash after shaving with Cade anyways.

B&M taiga is a nice strong Christmas tree scent to my nose.

My recently acquired Soap Commander crackling birch has a nice woodsy smell with a touch of spice.

Just pair it with Stirling Coniferous aftershave, which is alcohol based. Could have also went with the First Snow B&M aftershave, which is a fir+leather blend.
Thanks! I will definitely order some of that Sterling!!!! In the waiting period, I do have some of Fine's Green Vetiver, which has the forested scent plus alcohol. Very nice stuff.

Another vote for Mike's. It's the only one of his scents out of the five or so I tried that I didn't like as I'm not crazy about pine scents. However it would probably be exactly what you're looking for.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Stirling Ozark is now on deck, thanks to this thread.

Its Christmas season now!

While I store off-season soaps in airtight Snaplocks, Target has $2 ceramic ramekins that are the perfect size for Stirling pucks ...

AA

Here is what I ordered from Maggards and what I think of the scents so far:

B & M "Latha Taiga" - Really nice scent, wish it were a little stronger.
L & L "After the Rain" - Super scent, again wish it were stronger. This is my favorite
Captains Choice "North" - very light scent, mostly cedar
Henri et Victoria "Fall's Lumberjack" - did I get an unscented sample? Very light cocoa and mint - VERY light.
Chiseled Face "Cedar & Spice" - nice cedar scent, not very "piney"

I'll report back as I try the samples.

From "Les Industries Groom" in Montreal have 1 soap and it is called GROOM.

if you are looking for a coniferous scent that's the one. their matching AS is also pretty good

Marc

Here is what I ordered from Maggards and what I think of the scents so far:

B & M "Latha Taiga" - Really nice scent, wish it were a little stronger.
L & L "After the Rain" - Super scent, again wish it were stronger. This is my favorite
Captains Choice "North" - very light scent, mostly cedar
Henri et Victoria "Fall's Lumberjack" - did I get an unscented sample? Very light cocoa and mint - VERY light.
Chiseled Face "Cedar & Spice" - nice cedar scent, not very "piney"

I'll report back as I try the samples.

Captain's Choice "North" - lather is very lightly scented, I get cedar, black pepper and juniper berries in equal proportions. Nice, just not quite what I'm looking for. Pretty slick, not much cushion. Oddly, the soap itself is sticky rather than slick when I rub a tiny amount between my fingers. Odd that.

One that hasn't been mentioned (cream or croap rather than soap) is Castle Forbes Sandalwood/Cedar. Most people (myself included) seem to be of the opinion that there's practically no sandalwood scent and that it's overwhelmingly cedar, and a very strong cedar at that. Not pine, but certainly evergreen lumber mill. Plus, it's a top performer. It's my go-to winter cream.

My wife bought me a tub of Stirling Coniferous based upon my request. Boy does that thing smell. And all I smell is pine. Lots of pine. And it is strong. What I am really looking for I think is a mix of different tree scents with some earth smells and the smells of leaves, flowers, etc. The smell you might get when hiking in the Adirondack mountains. So I've put together a small list of some samples that I'm going to try to see if any of them has the scent that I am after. If you have tried any of these I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts might be and whether you have any additional recommendations that I have no included as I'm sure there are others out there. Thanks in advance.

Barrister & Mann Latha Taiga
Mystic Water Adirondack Jack
Van Yulay Into the Woods
Van Yulay Mountain Retreat

Top Bottom