What's new

Big Mac Creator Dies at Age 98

From the WSJ:

As a McDonald’s Corp. franchisee in the Pittsburgh area, Jim Delligatti in the mid-1960s believed the burgers-and-fries menu needed something jazzier. He came up with the Big Mac, tested it in one of his restaurants and saw it swiftly become a national sensation, heralding an era of ever-increasing reliance on novelty in fast food.

Mr. Delligatti died Monday at his home in Fox Chapel, a suburb of Pittsburgh, his family said. He was 98 years old.

He came up with the idea for the Big Mac in 1965 and first served it at his Uniontown, Pa., McDonald’s outlet in 1967. The hamburger features two beef patties, a mildly tangy sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions slathered over a soft sesame-seed bun sliced into three layers. The original price was 45 cents, compared with an average of about $5 today. McDonald’s put the Big Mac on its national menu in 1968.

Mr. Delligatti acknowledged that the Big Mac was derived from double-deck hamburgers made popular by rival fast-food restaurants. “This wasn’t like discovering the lightbulb,” he told the Los Angeles Times in 1993. “The bulb was already there. All I did was screw it in the socket.” Even so, his initiative helped launch McDonald’s on a long-running diversification of a menu once limited to little more than basic hamburgers, fries, shakes and soft drinks.

$BN-QZ848_1130de_IM_20161130103919.jpg

Can't say when the last time I ate at McDonald's, or any fast food chain (other than Chick-fil-A when I go down South). But it is interesting to learn about someone who had a significant impact to an area of business.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know what I am getting to eat tonight- two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
Big Macs have their place. Most people like them they just might not want to admit to it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Big Macs have their place. Most people like them they just might not want to admit to it.

That would be me ha, ha, ha. However, I still don't eat them, as I would rather have a bigger burger.
I like them, but don't get them often. When I do, I buy two. Supposedly there is a secret menu item called the McKinley Mac, which is a Big Mac made with two quarter pounder patties, but the two McD's I have tried have no idea about them.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I like them, but don't get them often. When I do, I buy two. Supposedly there is a secret menu item called the McKinley Mac, which is a Big Mac made with two quarter pounder patties, but the two McD's I have tried have no idea about them.

Try ordering a Rib Mac it's a Big Mac with 2 McRib patties. They probably won't know what that is either I just thought of it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't at all care for McDonald's, and it's been at least ten years since my last Big Mac.

But it sure was good. [emoji6]

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cursed enabler!
You're welcome :biggrin:

wanted two, ordered one. I was so proud of myself, showed some restraint . Got home, and found the top and bottom buns were both bottoms, so no sesame seeds. I hate my local McDonalds. How in the heck do you have a Big Mac without sesame seeds?

Top Bottom