What's new

Another watch recommendation thread.

My watch "rotation" is (intentionally) pretty small. It consists of:

1. a Sinn U1 that I love, and I wear it just about every day
2. a Luminox carbon fiber SEAL-issue watch that I wear mostly when I'm on ships or somewhere I don't want to risk my Sinn
3. a Shinola that I just like and wear occasionally

What I don't have is a dress watch. James Bond may be able to pull off wearing a Submariner with his tuxedo, but a bulky watch (and the U1 is most definitely bulky) to me just doesn't work with a suit. The Shinola is a little wide (47mm), and it's got a "casual" vibe to it (chrome case with a green face & tan strap). I'm looking for a simple, reserved, dress watch. Stainless with a black leather band. I'd like to keep it under $500, but that's a soft ceiling.

I'm looking at this, but I'm not really a watch guy and am unfamiliar with the maker. Recommendations?

$tissot-t-classic-le-locle-silver-dial-men_s-watch-t41_1_423_33.jpg

Movado Men's 0606502 Museum Stainless Steel Watch with Black Leather Band https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GR2BOK/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_UwIpyb8HR07CS

Heck if i know if this link works. 9 out of 10 times when I wear a suit I put on my Movado museum. Mines different than this but has a similar face. Haha. Prices of course can go much higher. I think they are just classy and rich looking but not a lot of bling, in your face, I'm insecure, look at me.

Worthwhile selections all, thank you. I think I'm probably leaning toward the Seiko at this point, although I'm not rushing anything.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Worthwhile selections all, thank you. I think I'm probably leaning toward the Seiko at this point, although I'm not rushing anything.

The dial on the Cocktail is stunning. If I am not mistaken, the movement is also hack-able and wind-able.

Any of the Seiko SARB are interesting. The Tissot Visodate Automatic is another classic in White or Black dial or they offer a somewaht similar looking version with a larger dial and thinner case quartz model. Christopher Ward is another Swiss manufacturer, their Malvern C5 in either a automatic or quartz movement also be of interest.

Having owned every watch in this thread I'd rate them Tissot, Seiko Cocktail, CW C5, and Orient.

I've found a few good watch deals on Massdrop if you're looking to save a little money. As always though, try and buy used. Watches and new cars share more than a few similarities.

Having owned every watch in this thread I'd rate them Tissot, Seiko Cocktail, CW C5, and Orient.

I've found a few good watch deals on Massdrop if you're looking to save a little money. As always though, try and buy used. Watches and new cars share more than a few similarities.

Cool, thanks. Why would you put the Tissot above the Seiko? I'm pretty much trying to decide between those two at this point, but I'm much more familiar with Seiko than Tissot. What qualities make it superior, in your opinion?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My watch "rotation" is (intentionally) pretty small. It consists of:

1. a Sinn U1 that I love, and I wear it just about every day
2. a Luminox carbon fiber SEAL-issue watch that I wear mostly when I'm on ships or somewhere I don't want to risk my Sinn
3. a Shinola that I just like and wear occasionally

So ... if you wear the wrong watch, does that mean you can't tell Sinn from Shinola?

http://www.seiyajapan.com/

Lots of great watches there.

... this one? http://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/products/seiko-dolce-quartz-sacm171?variant=33895507591

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I got this last September for my birthday and am very happy with it. A true classic dress watch. :thumbup1:

$tissto 1853.jpg

Tissot T033.410.16.013.01

Tissot v Seiko Cocktail

Generally speaking, the Tissots have sapphire crystals, the Seiko has mineral and therefore not as scratch resistant.
Swiss ETA movement typically a bit more accurate than the Seiko.
Swiss v. Japanese perception of higher quality re Swiss at this price point.

FWIW-I would have recommended the brands mentioned above. I might also suggest something vintage, perhaps an Omega at 500ish with a sharp pencil. I am sure Bulovas, Gruens, Longines etc can be had well under 500.00

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Swiss v. Japanese perception of higher quality re Swiss at this price point.
That point would drive me to the Seiko. I like to go against perceptions :biggrin: Seriously, the main reason I like the higher end Orients (Orient Star) is because not everybody and their mother is wearing them.

Top Bottom