What's new

B&B Homebrewers: Group(ish) Brew

Since there seems to be a lively homberew crowd here, I want to propose a kind of a group brew. Basically, we will all agree on a recipe, then brew it on or around the same day. We could even do a planned shave that day if we wanted…

If anyone is interested, chime in. We can take some time to nail down a style, then a recipe. My only limitation is no lagers. I don’t have lagering capabilities right now.

If we can create a good recipe, it can become the B&B Hause Ale which all Wetshaving Homebrewers can brew and enjoy.

Howzabout something snappy, simple, but aromatic for the summer?

(We can brew more robust stuff come fall!)

Hopped-Up American Wheat
6.5 lbs. wheat malt extract
.25 lb. Caramel 10 or 20
.75 oz. whatever bittering hop you can find that comes up around 10%AA (for me, that's Phoenix)
2 oz. your favorite aroma hop
US-05/WY1056/WLP-001 yeast

Wheat = snappy
Bittering level is moderate, but just enough to increase drinkability (75-minute boil increases extraction of bitterness, too)
Aroma hops at the very last seconds of the boil give it that extra punch and flavor without wasting them earlier on.

Ferment at 68F or lower for 2 weeks, keg/bottle, enjoy!

(For all-grain, replace extract with 3 lb.s wheat malt and 6 lbs. or so of pils malt, based on a 70% efficiency in your mashing system)

:biggrin:

I just did a Bavarian Hefe:
7# Wheat
4# Ida Pils
.5# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 15

But a hopped up American Wheat. I've never done an American before. I'm assuming that more Pils malt and less wheat malt will swing it more to the taste of Sierra Nevada's Wheat?

I just did a Bavarian Hefe:

But a hopped up American Wheat. I've never done an American before. I'm assuming that more Pils malt and less wheat malt will swing it more to the taste of Sierra Nevada's Wheat?

We could also roll with pale ale malt and wheat -- either way, it's essentially more like a blonde ale with some additional interest from the wheat, with a beefed-up flavor/aroma component.

Also, I happen to have 175 pounds (!!!!) of liquid wheat malt extract on my hands, and need something to do with it.

I had planned a stout (don't have the recipe on me), but am willing to modify.

When are we thinking?

Summer Stouts = AWESOME.

The hoppy wheat thing, though, likely holds more appeal across the board. I think.

I'm trying to knock out a boatload of beer this summer (child #2 due in early October) so I've got things on hand when life gets hectic. So a summer stout thingy might wind up in my rotation as well.

I guess it depends on whether we want to drink now, or later. A summer wheat or APA for refreshing ourselves in the hot weather, or a stout that will be REALLY good once the weather starts to turn.

I was looking through some recipe ideas, and a citrusy American wheat or APA sounds cool. Zest of 4 lemons and Oranges at last 15 min of boil.

This might not be for another few weeks. I have 2 brews lined up. Tomorrow (or sometime this week) is my second rendetion of an APA with ginger (Not So Ginger Ale). Then a hoppy brown ale.

I'm in. Great idea!
I just did two stouts:rolleyes: so I'd lean toward the wheat. Nothing all grain, either; I don't have room for that kind of gear.

I'm in. Great idea!
I just did two stouts:rolleyes: so I'd lean toward the wheat. Nothing all grain, either; I don't have room for that kind of gear.

We can make a recipe work for AG, extract and PM. I am set up for all grain and prefer to keep it that way. Even though I can pick up a M3 any time, I usually don't. :biggrin:

If we keep some ideas going, I'll start a poll on style (and recipe if we get that far).

Unfotunately, my Brewing gear has gone the way of the wind since my last move. I will be lurking on this post...Post haste.

By the way, for those of you having difficulty with lager yeasts, I was successful with lager temperatures using a large styrofoam cooler as a bath for the 'boy, a rotation of frozen 2 liter soda bottles from the freezer, and a car windshield shade screen secured around the neck of the carboy covering the bath to insulate it!

I would vote for a light summer brew for the hot days in the Georgia. A good lawnmower beer hits the spot at the pool.

I'm in, and am flexible on the style. I've been making brown cask ales and red or amber ales for my wife and friends for the past year, so I'd like to break out of the rut. A wheat or a stout will certainly do the trick.

I would be in. It will be 2 weeks or so till I can brew. Ive been looking to do a petes wicked strawberry blond clone But I want to do it all grain

I'd possibly be in... Not only would a summer beer be great, it is about the time of year to start making Christmas/New Year's beer which make great gifts....

I think the major consensus is a good summer beer right now. Andy's Wheat Blonde recipe looks good to me. I might add some orange and lemon zest in at 15 minutes.

Just for the record, his recipe was:
AG:
3lbs Wheat malt
6lbs Pilsner

PM:
6.5 lbs. wheat malt extract
.25 lb. Caramel 10 or 20

Hops/Yeast
.25Lbs Caramel 10 or 20L
Bittering hops with 10%AA at 75 min
Your favorite aroma hops at 5 or flameout.
US-05/WY1056/WLP-001 yeast

If this works out, we can plan to brew a Christmas beer or stout sometime later (Late July/Aug?).

What does everyone else think?

I like it, and think it will be a good way to end the summer. You're right about orange peel - already on my list here. Want to pick a day for the actual brewing?

I think the major consensus is a good summer beer right now. Andy's Wheat Blonde recipe looks good to me. I might add some orange and lemon zest in at 15 minutes.

Just for the record, his recipe was:

If this works out, we can plan to brew a Christmas beer or stout sometime later (Late July/Aug?).

What does everyone else think?

I like it; let's brew! :thumbup1::a17:

Top Bottom