What's new

Please help me decide which SE to try

I have been shaving with vintage DE razors for several years now. I want to try a vintage SE razor but dont know much about them. If you had to pick one to get started wtih, what is your pick? Thanks for the advise.

Not that I'm an exert on SE razors by any means but I just recently got a Mongoose stainless as my first SE razor and I must say I really enjoy the shave.

I have been shaving with vintage DE razors for several years now. I want to try a vintage SE razor but dont know much about them. If you had to pick one to get started wtih, what is your pick? Thanks for the advise.

Not that I'm an exert on SE razors by any means but I just recently got a Mongoose stainless as my first SE razor and I must say I really enjoy the shave.

Read the red! :tongue_sm

If you want something that's in the middle range - not too aggressive, not too mild - go for the GEM Micromatic clog-pruf. Solid bar, TTO design, easy to work with and when loaded with a GEM PTFE blade, a very smooth shaver. It's my primary daily driver.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Schick Injector razors are also vintage SEs. I recommend a Type G. The PAL Injectomatic would also be a great choice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Steve and Lane are both right, lol. But I'd lean towards the Schick Injector for ease of use, then the Gem.

Start with a 1912, preferably the more common flat cap. It's a great place to start, because it's right in the sweet spot of user friendly and efficient. If you want something a little more mild get the curved cap '12, G-Bar, MMBT, or Feather Weight. If you want more aggressive get a 1914, 1924, MMOC or MMCP.

I would suggest a 1912, if you like aggressive razors get the GEM Clug Pruf, if you like mild razors a GEM G-Bar or Feather weight. If you enjoyed the maneuverability of a cart then an Injector is the way to go.

start with a 1912, preferably the more common flat cap. It's a great place to start, because it's right in the sweet spot of user friendly and efficient. If you want something a little more mild get the curved cap '12, g-bar, mmbt, or feather weight. If you want more aggressive get a 1914, 1924, mmoc or mmcp.

i would suggest a 1912, if you like aggressive razors get the gem clug pruf, if you like mild razors a gem g-bar or feather weight. If you enjoyed the maneuverability of a cart then an injector is the way to go.

bingo!

+ 1000

It's funny, but I did not try a SE razor until I joined B&B - and that's after 50+ years of DE shaving. My first razor was a Featherweight which was fine. Then I went to the 1912, G bar, and Gem Damaskeene. All of those were good although I had to change the way I shaved. At first, I did not put the head against my face but used a different angle. The results were not that good - and then I did it the way GEM recommended. My next SE razors were the Micromatics both OC and CC. For me, they were not as smooth as my other razors so I sold or PIFed the Micromatics. However, there have been a number of DE razors that are not smooth and they are no longer in my stash.

My favorite SE razor is the Gem Damaskeene. Incredibly smooth shaver. The Gem 1924 is also fantastic just more aggressive.

A 1912, a 1912, a 1912. Gem, Ever-Ready, Damaskeene, Junior, doesn't matter.

Everybody should own a 1912 (or several).

--Bob

Top Bottom