What's new

Please help me decide which SE to try

My first vintage SE -- acquired recently because I've been bitten by the SE bug -- was a GEM Featherweight.
I got it for a nominal price, and it's terrific.
The results are so good, in fact, that I wake up the next day with very little growth at all.

A 1912 is on its way (it may even arrive today).

I am surprised that nobody has recommended the Ever Ready Streamline. Are we trying to keep it a secret, in order to keep the prices down?

I have used both types of GEM MMOC, Ever Ready 1912, 1914, 1924, GEM Junior, Featherweight, G-bar & my Streamlines (actually my two are Jewels) shave better than all of these razors. The 1914 comes closest in terms of performance, so I wonder if my face just prefers razors with curved end caps.

+1.. my GEM Junior squashed SERAD before it had a chance to develop .. almost :tongue_sm
Still have a slight hunger for a pre 1912 lather catcher.

Lather catchers are crazy cool! Just slide the blade in and flip the tab!

I've got a Junior.

$100_2027.jpg

$100_2026.jpg

There was a beautiful complete cased GEM Junior Bar set on the bay a while back. Almost went for it but a bit out of price range for a while.

A few years ago you could get them for a song, now they want actual money!!! I wish I had started picking them up when they were cheap,... oh well! :001_rolle

A few years ago you could get them for a song, now they want actual money!!! I wish I had started picking them up when they were cheap,... oh well! :001_rolle

Ya I read some 5+ year old threads that would mention how cheaply people were obtaining desirable straight razors.
Though in those old threads there wasn't much talk about all these wonderful artisan soap makers.
If only I could live in a world that had nice razors for cheap AND a large variety of software to try.:tongue_sm

I proposed the Clogpruf with PTFE because its medium in aggressiveness and will do excellent for first time user paired with the PTFE blade. Later on he can shop around for all different types of ER and Gem brand razors

Great advise from experienced users. Thank you.. Update, I have a 1912 coming early next week and I picked up a nice schick injector type G at a local antique store. Looking forward to giving them both a try.

Enjoy the G. I picked one up a week ago and haven't stopped using it yet.....I also use a gem MMOC in rotation, all of the aggression I can ever imagine needing

I proposed the Clogpruf with PTFE because its medium in aggressiveness and will do excellent for first time user paired with the PTFE blade. Later on he can shop around for all different types of ER and Gem brand razors

The first shave I ever had with a Clog Pruf had me hooked! What a smooth, easy to handle SE.

Great advise from experienced users. Thank you.. Update, I have a 1912 coming early next week and I picked up a nice schick injector type G at a local antique store. Looking forward to giving them both a try.

Good man! :thumbup1:

Make sure to post pix!!!

To answer the original question, if you're at all like me, it doesn't matter what you start with because you'll end up trying a bunch. All SEs are different from DEs, and each SE type (Gem blade, injector blade and Feather AC blade) is different from the others. In my experience, the Lather Catcher, 1912, 1914 Little Lather Catcher, 1924 Shovelhead, MMOC and Streamline are all similar to each other, but much different from injector razors and Feather AC razors. Similarly, my injector razors are similar to each other, but different from my AC razors, which are also similar to each other. They are all absolutely enjoyable, and I use them about ten times more often than my DEs.

Gents,
I'm almost convinced to go and get a Gem 1912. The only problem I see it's that I have DE blades by the 100's, injector blades, AC blades, the Gem uses its own blades which are different still. How many kinds of blades should one have in the den? If the police brakes in, they will think I'm an assassin by profession.

Gents,
I'm almost convinced to go and get a Gem 1912. The only problem I see it's that I have DE blades by the 100's, injector blades, AC blades, the Gem uses its own blades which are different still. How many kinds of blades should one have in the den? If the police brakes in, they will think I'm an assassin by profession.

Ditch everything but the DE's and the GEM's, the rest of that crap is senseless! :w00t:

Top Bottom