What's new

Mixing things up with my Moka pot suggestions needed!

I drink a full 6-cup Moka pot worth of coffee every morning using an espresso grind. It gives me the jolt I need to get up in the morning and I love the taste of this home "espresso."

I drink it black without any variation, and I would love a way to break the routine. I was wondering if there was any way I could mix things up. I'm a vegan so milk is a no go, milk substitute are ok though.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can diversify the use of my Bialetti, I would really appreciate hearing them. Let me know what you do!

Thanks!

Last edited:
You might not want to do this if you're headed out to work but in Normandy coffee and Calvados (Normandy apple brandy) is fairly common, they'll often drink most of the cup of just coffee or cafe au lait and then add a bit of Calvados to the last swallow or two of coffee.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It sounds a little crazy, but I sometimes mix things up by dropping a small sprig of rosemary into my French press while brewing coffee. It works well, but don't ask me why I tried it the first time. I have a rosemary plant handy, so it's easy to snip off an inch-long sprig when I'm so inclined.

A drop or two of a flavor extract (make your own, if you like) also can make quite a difference in a cup.

You might not want to do this if you're headed out to work but in Normandy coffee and Calvados (Normandy apple brandy) is fairly common, they'll often drink most of the cup of just coffee or cafe au lait and then add a bit of Calvados to the last swallow or two of coffee.

[emoji23] I forgot to mention that I'm 17 so alcohol is also a no go. Thanks for the suggestion though! It may be helpful to others.

It sounds a little crazy, but I sometimes mix things up by dropping a small sprig of rosemary into my French press while brewing coffee. It works well, but don't ask me why I tried it the first time. I have a rosemary plant handy, so it's easy to snip off an inch-long sprig when I'm so inclined.

A drop or two of a flavor extract (make your own, if you like) also can make quite a difference in a cup.

That sounds super interesting! I will give it a shot. May be cool to add almond extract or something similar to the coffee as well. I'm not the biggest fan of rosemary but I will experiment with other herbs and spices. Thanks!

Go to your local grocery store and take a look for some Torani. It will be in the coffee isle

proxy.php

If you're interested in adding flavor, but not sweetness, I often add a dash of either vanilla extract, cocoa powder, or cinnamon (sometimes all three). The vanilla, I add when it's already brewed, the cocoa and cinnamon, to the grinds. I've always wanted to experiment with cardamom, as well, (I love a good masala chai) and wonder how it'd do with coffee.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've always wanted to experiment with cardamom, as well, (I love a good masala chai) and wonder how it'd do with coffee.

I've done that, and it can be very good. A little goes a long way, though! Start small and work up to what you like. Cloves are the same way (i.e., one clove in my French press is enough for me).

I've been thinking about other herbs and spices I've enjoyed adding, and star anise is another I've enjoyed. Again, a little goes a long way. In fact, it's been a very long time, and I'm just about to finish up my first cup. It might be time to brew up a little anise coffee.

Not answering your question directly, but do not fall into the rut of buying the same coffee each time, making sure to vary the coffee origin and roast profile. And occasionally drink some filtered coffee like that made using a simple pour over. As much as I like certain coffees and brewing methods I find it necessary to switch things up.

I chose to give up sugar after having €700 worth of dental work
But I used to love a Carajillo..........
Cafe Solo (Spanish Espresso) with sugar and a small dash of Brandy - the ultimate heart starter
There are a lot of variations too, some more conventional than others.........

Carajillo de Vodka
Carajillo de Whisky (usually Scotch, but just as good with Bourbon or Irish)
Carajillo de Ron Negro (usually Captain Morgan)

Some more quirky ones......

Carajillo de Anisette - either Dulce or Seco (the most popular brand is Mono - with a picture of a monkey on the label)
Carajillo de Ron Dulce - usually made with Amazona

Since I switched to Cafe Americano, Carajillos are just a happy memory

Last weekend I discovered the joys of the 6-cup Moka pot, and I'm like a kid in a candy store - I've got Coffee Acquisition Disorder
I pour the contents of the pot into an enamelled mug and enjoy it as a very full flavoured version of a Cafe Americano

View attachment 705116

A cool way to vary your daily "heart starter" is to buy as many different coffees as you can and alternate between them - that way you can have a different blend every day of the week

Top Bottom