What's new

Finally made my first 100pack purchase

GSBs perform very well for me. I consider them my "luxury" blade, if such a thing exists. My first ever 100 pack purchase was Astra SPs which are my go-to blade, I can always count on them and they're cheap.

GSBs perform very well for me. I consider them my "luxury" blade, if such a thing exists. My first ever 100 pack purchase was Astra SPs which are my go-to blade, I can always count on them and they're cheap.
I have yet to buy a 100 pack, but GSBs or Astra SPs are likely to be it.
The GSBs might be better than Astra SPs, but I don't think they're more than twice as good, even though they cost more than twice as much.
I'm thinking I might end up getting Astra SPs after all.

100 blade purchases that I can remember. There may be others. Derby's were the first. Not sure the order of the others.

Derbys - starting off with a SS, I thought Derbys were great. I wound up PIF'ing 60-70.
Feathers - gave about 90 to my son-in-law. He likes them.
Israeli Red Personna - loved them in my old SS, but about 450 are now in the basement box with the SS I haven't used in years.
7 O'Clock Blue - jumped on 100 because they were discontinued. Used 5-10, then traded them for more IP Red. Oops!
Merkur - maybe 10 blades left. I like them, but they are not worth the difference in price between them and Astra SP.
Astra SP - have only used a Merkur 34G for several years and Astra is my preferred blade in it. I have used almost 200 and just got 200 more blades this week.

No more blade experimenting for me.

First was Astra SPs because they seemed to be very popular and adequate for everyone, unlike some other blades.
I then bought PolSilver SI's because I thought they were going to vanish, some Dorco ST-301 New Platinums because they were cheap, Nacets because I thought they would last longer, GSB because they have a reputation for longevity, and 100 German Wilkinsons for the same reason. A couple samplers, another 100 Astra SPs (mostly for my brother, who just switched back to DE razors) and a giant sampler of Moscow blades.

Then I discovered I can shave forever on a blade, so I probably have enough to pass on to my heirs, there is no way I'm every gonna use these up if I get 20+ shaves on every blade. Managed 6 on a Derby (and probably could get more now, I've learned to use a less acute angle) and that's the worst so far -- I've only discarded two blades in six weeks or so.....

Peter

For the past several months I have been trying various blades either by buying a tuck or so of them or I had won the weekly new comer PIF but up until last week I hadn't tried a blade that had me say "oh my god I found my blade!" Then I tried the Gillette silver blues. I used that blade for 6 shaves and every time it was a great shave and I was sad that it was my only one. So I jumped on Amazon and ordered me a 100 pack. I still want to try other blades like the personna lab blue, Israeli reds and the med preps but now I have a good go to blade with a nice stock pile.

What was some of you guys first 100packs? Or what do y'all think of the GSB blades?

I just ordered my first 100 pack on Black Friday - 100 Derby Extras for 6 bucks. Can't say that they're the best blades I've ever tried, but I've had good luck with them in the past. I just bought a Slim on Ebay, and this morning's shave with a Derby on setting 4 gave me a DFS+ with no irritation.

Derby was my first. LOVE these blades.

Then I bought Astra SP and Gillette Silver Blue in hundred packs a few times. I may never go through all of my razor blades.

I can get a good shave with most any blade, but last time I looked there were 3-400 GSB in the den. Shark Chrome, Derby and Astra SP I have also bought 100 of, but the GSB will always be ordered whenever I see a good deal on them.

I have 2800 GSB blades so I guess you could say I like them? Astra SP came in second (super smooth) but they are not quite as sharp so loaded up with GSB. Tried the Med Preps, Derby, Shark ugh, Kai, Perma Sharp, Feather, Dorco, Polsilver and a few others. Though I went with GSB some of the others could have won the contest if I shaved 'blind', meaning I used blades without knowing what they were.

It was that close really. The Astra, Kai, Perma Sharp, Polsilver and Med Preps could have been the winner for me, all fine blades. Felt I had to pick one and load up in case they were discontinued.

My first were Personna Blues, followed by Astra SP and my latest are Polsilvers which are my favorites. :thumbup1: I'll give some Personna's, Astra's and a few Derby Premiums to my youngest son to start with for Christmas.

Astra SP were my first. I've since gotten vokshod 3x, Polsilver SI, dorco 301, Wilkinson swords, rapira SS, personna lab blues, and most recently a Russian sampler.

My first 100 blade purchase was Shark Super Chrome, but if had tried GSB first things would have been different.

Top Bottom