What's new

What's the best Swedish Straight Razor Maker?

I was on an auction site this morning and snagged a C.W. Dahlgren frame back, at least I think it's a frame back. I'm new to straight razor acquisition disorder, otherwise I'd know all about it.... I have DE RAD under control, but SRAD has me. Luckily I stole this razor for really cheap! I'm just curious, what are some other well respected Swedish makers to keep an eye open for? I don't know much about frame back razors, was it a functional design or was it for looks? Thanks

Matt

You should get a lot of great answers on this. People love that Swedish Steel. I think the frame back was to achieve that hollow grind with out actually grinding. You'll have to post some pictures when you get it!

There are a few Swedish makers that you will see pop up here more often than others.

C.V. Heljestrand
E.A. Berg
Edv. Niestrom
Klas Tornblom

One's the pop up that you'll see less often are:

Helburg
Dahlgren
Jernbolaget

There are quite a few of them out there, this is not all inclusive of a list, and I am far from an expert. For the most part, they are all quality blades. Arne, [MENTION=85745]Polarbeard[/MENTION] would be the person to ask on the subject of swedish steel. I'm sure he'll be by shortly. I love hearing the stories behind these razors.

$image.jpg$image.jpg
Photos from that site I got it from, I'm really excited to clean her up and send her off for a honing! It almost looks like there is some writing or a name on the frame back?

Last edited:
Matt, look at the photo in my profile, you will find examples of both of your razors. They should clean up nicely, the pitting on the CVH will remain, but not be as noticeable. On the frame back it is common to have a name on the razor as well as the tang and many times along the frame of the frame back. :thumbup:
I can only hope mine will clean up as well as your razors have! Those are gorgeous pieces of steel!

While my experience has mostly been with Heljestrands, I'd say any vintage razor made in Eskilstuna is going to be a good shaver. Even more obscure makers.

Doc 47 already have written most of what's to be said.

As Dan, Doc47, already have pointed out all Eskilstuna razors are made of Bergslagen steel from the purest ore in the world that's no longer mined. The razors keep their edge for a very long time, but the steel is also very hard to hone due to the same reason. It also means that the edges feels a bit different from other edges, you may like it or you may not. An Eskilstuna razor will never feel like a Sheffield razor.

Eskilstuna razors where produced for about 200 years. During that time different producers came, dominated and retired. There are about 20 major names. I'd like to add E.A. Berg and Söderen to the list of the most prominent ones.

Like Solingen Eskilstuna isn't a large town and it never has been. The different producers shared craftsmen and happily stole ideas and successful designs from each other.

So if you find an Eskilstuna razor that you like the looks of you can be sure of that it is a good razor no matter what manufacturer name, but that it may be tough to set the bevel. I strongly recommend the shoulderless models, but then again a standard full hollow 5/8 is always right.

I do hope that you'll enjoy your frameback razor. Beware of that the very thin tang will mean that it is "flippy" and need a slightly different technique.

Doc 47 already have written most of what's to be said.

As Dan, Doc47, already have pointed out all Eskilstuna razors are made of Bergslagen steel from the purest ore in the world that's no longer mined. The razors keep their edge for a very long time, but the steel is also very hard to hone due to the same reason. It also means that the edges feels a bit different from other edges, you may like it or you may not. An Eskilstuna razor will never feel like a Sheffield razor.

Eskilstuna razors where produced for about 200 years. During that time different producers came, dominated and retired. There are about 20 major names. I'd like to add E.A. Berg and Söderen to the list of the most prominent ones.

Like Solingen Eskilstuna isn't a large town and it never has been. The different producers shared craftsmen and happily stole ideas and successful designs from each other.

So if you find an Eskilstuna razor that you like the looks of you can be sure of that it is a good razor no matter what manufacturer name, but that it may be tough to set the bevel. I strongly recommend the shoulderless models, but then again a standard full hollow 5/8 is always right.

I do hope that you'll enjoy your frameback razor. Beware of that the very thin tang will mean that it is "flippy" and need a slightly different technique.
Thank you very much, the history is fascinating.

Due to [MENTION=85745]Polarbeard[/MENTION] I'm trying to find a frameback Jernbolaget.
Here in Portugal is the same as win the Euromillon.
Also in eBay, Tradera, etc., it is very dificult.
One day will be my day!!!

Last edited:
Hahaha, I spent the evening surfing the bay for all those brands... Enjoy the hunt, its the best part!
Due to @Polarbeard I'm trying to find a frameback Jernbolaget.
Here in Portugal is the same as win the Euromillon.
Also in eBay, Tradera, etc., it is very dificult.
One day will be my day!!!

Ah, ah, ah!
I have three C.V. Heljestrand, a n° 4, a n° 24 and a MK 31.
But as Polerbeard is an expert I'm looking for his favorite, a frameback Jernbolaget.

I'm sorry if I have mislead anybody. I do like Jernbolaget razors, but early frameback razors with a thin tang scares (and scars) me regardless of manufacturer.[emoji2]

Polarbeard,
Thank you for the clarification.
I have an unknown french frameback razor (Lecler FI) and I love it, but she has a robust tang.
But I' m going to try a Jernbolaget (not frameback) and C.V. Heljestrand n° 32.

Last edited:
Polarbeard,
Thank you for the clarification.
I have an unknown french frameback razor (Lecler FI) and I love it, but she has a robust tang.
But I' m going to try a Jernbolaget (not frameback) and C.V. Heljestrand n° 32.
I wish you the best of luck. A 32 is a demanding razor but I find it to be unmatched when it comes to shaving capability.

Skickat från min Nexus 10 via Tapatalk

I've been keeping my eye out for a nice straight from Eskilstuna. So far I'm really liking the C.V. Heljestrand's with thumb notches and blade widths over 5/8.

I've been close to buying a MK No. 5, 6 and 10. Are all of these full hollow, and are there any other's that fit the criteria of size and thumb notch you guys would recommend looking for?

I may just post a WTB thread in the BST as I'd trust a B&B member to have more info on their razor and be more well taken care of. It can be hard to really see flaws in online pictures and there's probably a lot of things I wouldn't know what to look for anyways.

This Swedish business is infectious.

I have just bought this Neistrom. A 4/8. Would be interested in your opinions. (seller's snaps)
$Neistrom 2.jpg$Neistrom.jpg

C.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
AGREED. Magnus Gabrielsson, a straight razor enthusiast from Sweden has some of the finest I have ever seen. His pair of Erik Anton Berg in tortoise with etched shark relief on the blades are delightful! $unnamed.jpg
While my experience has mostly been with Heljestrands, I'd say any vintage razor made in Eskilstuna is going to be a good shaver. Even more obscure makers.

Top Bottom