What's new

PIF: honing, keeping my skills up.

lately i haven't been doing as much honing as i like. not that i dont have the time. its just that im at that point where i have all my razors shaving exceptionally well(by my standards), and have rehoned my edges for the hell of it more times than i've shaved with them.

so i figured since i enjoy honing and have some time on the weekends to hone, why not just offer up my services for free.

so without further adieu, the rules:

1. i don't want a huge volume of razors a week. im more than comfortable honing 4-6 a weekend, but when it starts getting much more than that its a chore, ive spent plenty of weekends honing 15-20 razors for friends with no existing bevel along with chips/pitting, its not an enjoyable experience. so first come first serve, get on the list and send up to 2 razors.

2. i GREATLY prefer honing hollow ground razors. although i suppose you could talk me into honing a wedge or 2, just no wedges without an existing bevel.

3. tape or no tape is up to you, but if the razor has any goldwash on the spine, ill be honing with tape.

4. you cover round trip shipping, i ship in small priority boxes since they are simple and include a bit of insurance($50 ins $6.80 price iirc). IF YOU ARE A SERVICE MEMBER active duty or otherwise i will cover the return shipping so please lmk. if you are tight on funds i will also cover return shipping, just give me a heads up.(no shame in this)

5. you choose how you want the razor finished. what i have for finishers: a host of synths including 8/12k naniwa ss's 8k sw, 8k sg, suehiro gokumyo 20k, 1u/.3u films. for naturals primarily a selection of jnats/nagura with a few coti's thrown in. (dont like finishing on coti's, maybe i suck but they dont churn out the keen edges like i prefer)

i will be honing almost entirely on the weekends and will be shipping the following mon/tues

here's a pic of the battlestation, a ton of stuff not shown:
$RDJcqtt.jpg

*bissell not a recommended finisher

What a super PIF. Not in either, but I know there are some guys just getting started that will hugely benefit from your generosity.

Wow indeed! I am just learning to sharpen and hone razors myself and was wondering what I was going to do to stay fresh. Especially since they seem to hold an edge for quite a while.

This is a great solution and very generous! Not in, but had to comment!

Great PIF. I recently PIFed one of my SR to someone just starting out and I'll be buying another SR to replace it in my rotation. I'd love to take up up on this for my new SR.

I would be interested in taking you up on that offer. I am more curious to see how various edges feel.

I'm up for this. I hone my own, but would like to try the edges from some other members to compare. My edges are still generally... not great shall we say? Very kind of you to share your time and services here.

I've got a couple I'd like to get honed up. If the list is still open. I'm a retired service member if that counts for shipping. But I'm happy to ship either way. Thanks for doing this!

Great PIF. I recently PIFed one of my SR to someone just starting out and I'll be buying another SR to replace it in my rotation. I'd love to take up up on this for my new SR.

since you got in, by all means pm me to take me up on this offer whenever. just make sure to check in if i have some time free and can fit it in.

Great pif. Wish i had a couple straights to send you. Not yet but soon.

same as above, just shoot me a pm w/e

I would be interested in taking you up on that offer. I am more curious to see how various edges feel.

I will do it. I have no finishers and need a comparison.

I'm up for this. I hone my own, but would like to try the edges from some other members to compare. My edges are still generally... not great shall we say? Very kind of you to share your time and services here.

sending you guys a pm, you guys can be the beginning of the first group.

I've got a couple I'd like to get honed up. If the list is still open. I'm a retired service member if that counts for shipping. But I'm happy to ship either way. Thanks for doing this!

indeed it does count for shipping, although you probably get tired of hearing this but thank you for your service, much respect. pm'ing

also thanks for the kind words fellas. ive had nothing but pleasant experiences and tons of info/learning from the people around these parts.

just glad to give back when i can.

I would like to report back as the first recipient here.

I chose to send 2 razors in, one to be finished on 1um film and the other jnat. Turnaround time was less than one week, and communication was excellent the whole time. The razors were packaged well on return shipping.

IMO the edges came out very well. I have only had 2 other "pros" hone my razors at this time, and [MENTION=86955]runninscared[/MENTION] was right on par with them. If I had paid for the service I would have been satisfied.

Overall great job and thanks for your service! I hope this post helps convince other members to take advantage of this offer. [emoji106]

I've got a couple of straights I'd like to get re-honed to try and get better at using them if you still have room.

Active duty, but would prefer to pay the shipping in return for your services.

Thank you!

Top Bottom