What's new

MLB 2016 Playoffs

With two games left in the regular season, three wild card spots and two homefield advantages are up for grabs. It should be an exciting weekend of baseball. My WS prediction: Cubs v. Red Sox, Red Sox in six. We'll see how it plays out. :popc:

What, no love for the Jays?
:001_cool:
Should be a lot of fun over the next week. The Jays are in the win-and-you're-in Wild Card against those trash birds from Baltimore on Tuesday. And I'm scared. Marcus Stroman, our entertaining arm of the future is pencilled in as the Wild Card starter against the O's...and his record against them this year isn't inspiring. I think seven starts, he's 1-2 with an ERA over 7. Last season, no problem...the Jays would score more than eight runs for the win. This year, not so much. And Stro's September was to put it charitably, crap.
For the Jays to have another Joey Bats Flip against Texas in the ALDS, a freakin' miracle must occur tomorrow night just for the chance.
Elsewhere, Indians over the Red Sox and onto the World Series against the Cubs. After that, who cares. I've got an Indians and a Cubs cap to alternate during the Series. Who wins? Who cares? Should be fun.
Sorry for the AL centric pseudo-analysis, but other than the Cubs, no other squad on the NL side is really on the radar.
That said, is Steve Bartman still around?

I think the AL is more interesting this year, too. With three teams coming out of the East, there could be some great games. When two of them play one another, it should be a chess match, as each will know the other through and through. I've got a sense, or should I say a hope and a prayer, that the Red Sox will take it on the strength of Ortiz's bat.

Love baseball playoffs. This is gonna be fun!

Ha ha, you get the feeling there are only two idiots here who give a rolling donut about the playoffs? And both named Bruce??
I take it your a New Englander...friends of mine ordered tickets back in May for the Jays-Red Sox series this weekend and they came back raving about the experience at Fenway Friday and Saturday. I told them to hit the Cask and Flagon for some pre gaming, but apparently the line up was brutal. You're not there early enough. They tried some place down the road (Hard Rock??) where Green Day was playing...jeez, those clowns are still a thing...and no go there, either. They had fun, nonetheless, and even decked out in Jays gear, they said the Fenway faithful were a lot of fun and accommodating. Well, being first in the AL East, there is a bit of magnanimous generosity. And they got to see Bobby Orr during the pre game Big Papi Lovefest, so there's that, eh?

The Cubs are a powerhouse, that's for sure. Their pitching can be scary good. My prediction is more of a wish - I'd love to see Ortiz go out on top.

And yes, I'm from NE, though I left in 1976, landing for good in Pittsburgh in 1979. Became a Red Sox fan in 1967 at age 10, and have been rooting for them ever since (I have the scars to prove it). I root for the Pirates, go to games, as I do with the Penguins and Steelers. But the Red Sox are special to me, and Fenway is a cathedral to me. Glad to see your friends were treated well - it hasn't always been that way for out of towners.

My team is the Dodgers but they keep choking in playoffs.

There's something magical about David Ortiz and maybe he will finish a winner. Everything is going well for him this year.

The Cubs are supposed to be in the World Series but the team with the best record have only won the series 3 times and that was a while ago. We will see what happens.

Didn't stay up for the end, but glad Toronto took it. That hometown crowd is nuts. Hope they threw out the fool who tossed a beer into the outfield.

First baseball game I attended was in 1957, at Fenway Park. A New Englander and a fan since. A lot of good times and a lot of heartache. The heartache makes you really appreciate the good times.

Split this season. I really like the Red Sox team. A good mix of veterans and young players. However, I have a distain for management. Not a Henry fan who sided with Lucchino and let Epstein go. Scapegoated and took cheap shots at Francona on the way out. Chose to sign Price over Lester. Sleazy revenue making schemes-selling personalized paver bricks outside the park. All done with the influence of Lucchino. The worst Lucchino influence was his enthusiastic support in hiring Bobby Valentine as manager! Thankfully he is gone.

I will root for the Red Sox but wouldn't be heartbroken if the Indians under Francona win. Too bad their rotation is injured. I wouldn't be heartbroken if the Cubs win with all the ties to the Red Sox.

Red Sox score a ton of runs and are deep but haven't always been clutch this season. Too often this season they leave bases loaded trailing 2-1 in situations with less than two outs. Kimbrel is good but can make you pull your hair out with wildness. Playoff baseball is different than the regular season. I would like to see Ortiz end his career on a high note, win or loose.

One thing for certain is you never know who is going to step up. Playoffs-big boy baseball. Let's hope for exciting games.

Although I am not a Cubs fan, I would love to see them win it this year. When I was in St. Petersburg FL I enjoyed watching the Rays play. Joe was incredible doing what he did with such a limited budget. And Ben Z., was one of my favorites.

They had school contests of take Ben to School Day almost every week. He would show up at a school and spend hours there with kids.

Jays throttle the Rangers in game one of the ALDS, and the story will continue to be the chucked beer can at the O's left fielder in the wild card game.
Sigh.
As I explained to the hand wringing people in my small circle of acquaintances, C-Cell batteries were thrown at outfielders in New York (Yanks or Mets, I can't remember), Iggles fans booed and threw snowballs at freakin' Santa, South American soccer fans routinely toss cups of human waste at opposition players...and then there are the soccer fans in Europe who throw bananas at black opposition players. Really??? I'm prepared to hear how the beer chucker will have been seen on the grassy knoll in Dallas on November 22nd, 1963. We get it, Canadian drunks are a dime a dozen up here. The only reason this is/was a big story is that the projectile was too close to Kim's head...shameful yes, but Buck Showalter should've got the beer chucker signed and suited up to throw for the O's in the 11th inning in the wild card game. The beer chucker had better control.
Anyway, the Red Sox look pretty good against a injury riddled tribe from Cleveland. Heck, the Sox this year look good against everyone's healthy line up.
Amazing that both ALDS series could be two games done before the National Leagues's series' could start Friday. Nats and Cubs for the NLCS...of course I was rooting for the Mets over the Giants last night...what do I know, eh?

Playoff baseball is different than the regular season. I would like to see Ortiz end his career on a high note, win or lose.

One thing for certain is you never know who is going to step up. Playoffs-big boy baseball. Let's hope for exciting games.

:thumbup1:

TBS has coverage of the ALCS and has hired Dennis Eckersley as a color man. Eckersley was color man for the majority of the Red Sox season. Where do they send him to work? The Blue Jay-Ranger series and not the Red Sox-Indian series. Pretty smart guys those TV executives, don't you think?

Top Bottom