What's new

Strop remedy

Oh B&B, my B&B...I've gone and knicked my strop. nothing significant, but it was enough to make the very top layer start to peel off a little. Its a brand new strop, used <20x's.

I've heard sandpaper to smooth it out, but how do I know what grit, or how much is too much sanding? Can you offer some tips on how to fix it? I'm at work, so I do not have a picture handy, but i'll try to remember to post one when I get home in the AM. Thanks!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Pictures would help greatly!

Yes you can sand leather strops. Iwasaki describes sanding strops in his paper and every couple of years when wiping with a damp cloth doesn't clean them well enough, I sand my Kanoyamas with 1000-2000 grit. You can start with anything 80 grit or up, and use a sanding block to keep everyhing flat. I don't remember the exact progression, but 80-280-240-320-600-1000 should be fine.

Good luck! Cheers, Steve

I have sanded using 400 and 600 grit and get nice results. Also helpful is to wipe with a damp cloth (to wet the surface) then roll a large glass bottle up and down the length. I roll with a good amount pressure. Rolling can solve some surface imperfections and really helps post sanding.
The thing to remember (as I was told) is the strop surface can have a missing chunk and work fine ...it CAN't have anything sticking up. Usually a finger nail Emory board can remove the dangerous loose parts then a good rolling or two can ensure it is set. If it's on the very edge you can use a spoon to rub the side flat again or "round" the edge so the cut isn't as obvious.
Nicks usually occur to n places we turn the razor over ...so just make the nicked area safe for future stropping. ...and yes, the strop forum has plenty of help.

Post up some pics, it happens to alot of us, I cut the heck and of several strops before finally taming the beast in me, if iy can be glued back that would be ideal just apply some glue under the flap and press down, if it's a nick like missing leather you can use a high grey sandpaper and lightly sand that area

[MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] - Here's some pictures, any ideas? How bad is it? [MENTION=73183]Steve56[/MENTION] - Here's some pictures, any ideas? [MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] - Here's some pictures, any ideas? [MENTION=88630]Jnatcat[/MENTION] - Here's some pictures, any ideas?
$stropcut1.jpg$stropcut2.jpg$stropcut3.jpg

You could sand those, but I don't think it's necessary. Might be good practice for the more serious damage to come . . . .

Those would be easy to repair. Light sanding with fine sandpaper followed with a good damp rag rubbing to make sure no sandpaper grit was left behind. They look small enough that I would probably use 400 grit till smooth and then a bit of 800 to finish. After the damp cloth let the strop sit over night and then rub the affected spots with a tiny tiny tiny amount of neetsfoot oil. Massage two drops of neetsfoot oil between your hands and then rub the strop with one hand. Follow with glass bottle rub down and it should be in great shape and the spots will be nearly invisible.

Yeah, Brian and Dan said it. I think even a finger nail file (even the smoother side) would do a good job of removing anything that protrudes and threatens to catch your edge. It may only take a few seconds of light buffing with the fingernail file, clean it with a damp rag and a little oil. If you don't have neatsfoot oil you can use a little beard oil (on your hands then rub on the strop ...light...light oil application) OR better still just rub your forehead with your hands then rub the leather.

Larry is right that is not a bad nick at all and probably doesn't need much attention ...just be sure that any nicks that have a loose piece of leather flopping UP are sanded just until nothing can pop up.

Nice looking strop by the way.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. Its the first couple knicks I put in the stop, and I hated myself for it. Everyone said buy a cheaper strop until you learn the form, but I figured that meant it wouldn't be as good of a strop because, leather wise, you get what you pay for, and I wanted good leather with longevity, fortunately, I was able to get a good price and great quality. That's a "rich man strop" from Whipped dog. Larry has such great stuff at his prices. IDK how he does it.

Top Bottom