What's new

Shave brush bacteria

Hey everyone-
I've been thinking about bacteria build up on the brush in between shaves. Every couple of weeks I will use some baby shampoo on the badger hair. Any easy/ safe ways to disinfect the brush?

Thanks

Hey everyone-
I've been thinking about bacteria build up on the brush in between shaves. Every couple of weeks I will use some baby shampoo on the badger hair. Any easy/ safe ways to disinfect the brush?

Thanks

Perhaps try using head and shoulders shampoo on it if that is something that bothers you. A quick google search pointed out that it uses Zinc pyrithione, a antifungal topical medication, which does double duty by also discouraging bacteria.

Bacteria need moisture to live. If your brush is drying out in between shaves, then any bacteria left on your brush after your shave will die.

This is a non-issue for me.

I seem to recall using a brush every other day provides sufficient drying time. Needless to say that good post-shave routines would help greatly.

Since it's soap and you've already showered well, bacteria becomes less of a concern; never-ending dampness is though. Using a nice [good] shampoo and conditioner should keep it working wonderfully.

I've also heard others using their brush daily for years without issue. No questions were raised on density nor hair type..

I have many brushes and rarely even use the same one twice in a two week period, so a non-issue for me too.

A solution in search of a problem perhaps. As long as it's what you want to do and it isn't hurting your brush then why not right? Also if it bothers you synthetic might be a good way to go as they dry very quickly leaving less chance for bacterial growth. Overall I think that the soap we use to shave with will kill most bacteria that we would be concerned with. I believe that the USDA and our Canadian equivalent have even come out and said that normal soap and water is best for cleaning. They have discouraged the use of these antibacterial soaps/cleaners saying they cause more problems than they solve (drug resistant bacteria and such).

To clean it use a small amount of borax in warm water and let it soak then rinse it out :). Great question

A non-issue unless you store your wet brush in some dark drawer for days. Some high-end brush makers like Thater actually warn against using strong detergents and mention Borax specifically. My stepdad never even rinsed his brush out after a shave in the 1950's & 60's and the man was a germaphobe.

Last edited:
Unless you have a bad immune system, you shouldn't worry about it. Do you disinfect your soap? It probably have more bacteria than your brush. Especially hand soap, as you are using it more frequent, it will develop bacteria between uses. Not to mention the toothbrush. If you are using it at least two times a day, your toothbrush definitely have much more bacteria than your shaving brush. And you put it in your mouth. Your hand/face towel. Great bacterial environment. But there are your microorganisms on all these things, you are immune to them, you shouldn't worry too much.

If you do have some immunity problems, the best bet is canned foam or shaving gel.

Just to make something clear, soap does not kill bacteria, but it helps water breaking it up and washing it away. In the case of washing your hands, the whole process is important soaping up>rinsing your hands. If you would just soap up and not rinse, that bacteria will live happily ever after in their bacterial palace from your hands. Same goes with the shaving brush. It's good to give a good rinse when you are done with it and leave it to dry between uses. I would say that the most "clean" shaving brushes are synthetics, as they don't keep moisture long after you use them, and most "bacteria friendly" are dense badger brushes, as they take a lot to dry.

I'm a bit of a germ freak myself, but I learned to deal with my germs and to accept that there aren't too many bad things that can happen in a controlled environment like my own bathroom.

Safest way you can use your brush is as rarely as possible. If you have more shaving brushes, use them in a rotation, leave them to dry for at least 48 hours before using them again. Store them in a dry room, with enough air, like your bedroom, and not in your bathroom.

Bacteria should be a worry if:
- You are sharing your brush with someone else;
- You are using it when traveling.

When traveling, it's not such a good idea to use the hotel faucet, or hotel cabinets, for example, as you might encounter some bacteria that your body is not used to and you might have problems.

I never saw this as an issue. I shave with soap, so after each shave the excess soap in the brush gets rinsed out. In essence my brushes get cleaned after every shave then hung up to dry. I should never have any issues with bacteria growing on my shaving brushes.

We have immune systems for a reason. Our body naturally fights infection from "everyday" bacteria and viruses. Otherwise, we would be sick all the time. There are about a billion more "germs" on doorknobs, staircase bannisters, elevator buttons, public facilities, etc., etc. and we're not walking around with chronic infectious diseases (at least I hope you all are not !) No need to worry about micro-organisms invading the shaving brush and causing infections .... it simply will not happen if you are a relatively healthy person with a normal functioning immune system.

Top Bottom