What's new

First Time Honing Experience

I typically share my thoughts in my journal but I wanted to post my experience here so that I could get more insight from more experts. Here is my experience with some more detail:

So last night I busted out the Fredrick Reynolds razor that was a restoration project. I decided to give a whirl at honing on this just because it is a long term project.

I went thru the progressions with the tomo and nagura stones that I read and saw on YouTube. I appreciated @Gamma where he did lots of research on JNATs. His website is invaluable IMHO.

Here is a pic of the Shobudani again with the stones (thanks @Ron991) :
proxy.php

After all is said and done, my first honing attempt was a fail. It seemed like I got a decent bezel on it. It was challenging getting it to a shave ready edge after going thru all the stones, slurries, dilutions, etc. Having spent 30-45 min I gave up and decided to go to bed.

A few hours later around 1:00 am, I couldn't fall asleep. I watched some more videos and read some more articles. I looked at the FR razor and remembered that the spine had loads of wear and I should probably tape it up to get the optimal angle to create a keen edge.

Around the same time I got the FR razor, I obtained a Kropp razor that is in great condition but it just wasn't shave ready. So I decided to give the Kropp a honing session since the spine looks to have very little home wear and the angles seem good to me. So I am not sure on what the best progressions should be but I decided to set the bezel using the tomo. This seemed to work well and I focused on creating more slurry than before to make it easier to use. Also when watching videos from JNS, they hone while holding the JNAT in their hands. I decided to do this as well. I could see how it helps with downward strokes and using gravity to move the slurry around. I have no idea on how long I spent with the tomo slurry but I seemed to get a decent bezel where it was uniform and very fine to the naked eye. I was satisfied with the result and moved on.

Without boring you, I went thru each nagura: the botan, tenjyou, mejiro. I couldn't tell you the differences in slurry. It was interesting seeing the evolution of each slurry and how the razor behaved with each one. You could feel how fast and slow the slurries affect the speed of the honing. When diluting, the stone gets super fast. All in all, I think I was honing for at least 45 minutes.

Here is what I did with each stone:
1. Create slurry for ~30 seconds
2. Make circular motions back and forth - roughly 10-15x
3. Make up and down motions - 15-20x
4. Dilute slurry
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for two more times

I did some stropping on nylon and leather. I took out the C-Mon since it came shave ready and compared the sharpness using the HHT. The Kropp was comparable except I had a few reservations if it was truly shave ready. I can't be that lucky to get it right on the 2nd try. Well I didn't shave last night and waiting for tomorrow (technically today) morning.

So the Kropp shaved well. The edge was sharp but a little rough. I did end up stropping the razor mid shave and it did wonders to the smoothness.

Here is a pic of today's set up:
proxy.php

Thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, advice, and recommendations for improvements.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Seems like you are on a great trajectory. I personally don't believe in diluting the slurry from Nagura as it dilutes already when adding a few drops of water to keep it lubricated. Intentionally diluting it only lessens the abrasive qualities of the slurry. I am not an expert but I may have to do 2-3 sessions on botan slurry to get a bevel set.

Seems like you are on a great trajectory. I personally don't believe in diluting the slurry from Nagura as it dilutes already when adding a few drops of water to keep it lubricated. Intentionally diluting it only lessens the abrasive qualities of the slurry. I am not an expert but I may have to do 2-3 sessions on botan slurry to get a bevel set.

I will definitely try this out the next time. Also I was wondering if I was only doing touch ups, would you recommend just using water or go with using the mejiro nagura stone?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I doing things differently than most and use CBN abrasive sprays on leather for touch ups. I have never had good results on water with my stone so when I go to the stone for touch ups it's mejiro slurry at the minimum.

Depending on your stone and the level of dullness touch ups on water are certainly possible IMO, but experimenting and keeping track of the best results would work most excellently IMO.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Sounds like you're off to a great start Tom. My first honing attempt (actually my second, I don't speak of my first, lol) was an epic fail too.
Pay very close attention to that bevel. If it's not 100% set it can lead to many problems.
Keep it up!

There's a good chance that the Fred Reynolds defeated you due to a poor bevel. The Kropp, however was shaving, albeit rough, when you started. The Kropp with a decent bevel, liked your finishing progression, so I would stick with it and refine it as you experiment. Souds like you're off to a great start. Keep on keeping on!

I have set a bevel and finished on the same stone (JNAT) I used a DN slurry and did like 4 refreshes, I never really diluted it just added water to keep the slurry moving, you may want to try setting the bevel with say an inexpensive King 1K or similar then work thru your progressions, I personally don't have a Asano Nagura set all I use is a 4/8K then one of the finishers I have with a DN slurry then tomo slurry, I have used just the 4K then finisher but using the 8K reduces the time and wear and tear on my more expensive finisher, I found out early on if the bevel is not set correctly the rest will no go well and sometimes the bevel can be set quickly and sometimes not.

Thanks guys for the advice and support. I do have a King 1K that I bought for my kitchen knives. It can do double duty for razors too I guess.

I think I am gonna focus on doing everything on the JNAT solely because I am stubborn and I prefer to use one stone. I rather not deal with having to use multiple stones mostly because I am lazy and if I can use different slurry stones, I would opt for that. :) Hopefully this is good signs for the future. The only thing I am worried about is wanting one of those pretty stones that cost $$$$.

Tom, if you do bring the King into the equation, make sure that you lap it flat. I also use a King 1K on kitchen knives, and I do not worry too much about flatness when sharpening them. I just move around the stone and try to keep the wear even. However, I have lapped it flat and used it on setting a razor bevel as well to good effect.

Tom, if you do bring the King into the equation, make sure that you lap it flat. I also use a King 1K on kitchen knives, and I do not worry too much about flatness when sharpening them. I just move around the stone and try to keep the wear even. However, I have lapped it flat and used it on setting a razor bevel as well to good effect.

Walt! Stop making me buy more stuff like a DMT! :lol:

Thanks guys for the advice and support. I do have a King 1K that I bought for my kitchen knives. It can do double duty for razors too I guess.

I think I am gonna focus on doing everything on the JNAT solely because I am stubborn and I prefer to use one stone. I rather not deal with having to use multiple stones mostly because I am lazy and if I can use different slurry stones, I would opt for that. :) Hopefully this is good signs for the future. The only thing I am worried about is wanting one of those pretty stones that cost $$$$.

Nothing wrong with doing it all on one stone but my suggestion would be add at least an inexpensive bevel setter like a King for those razors that have chips and such in the edge or just need that little extra then add a 4K to take up the slack and be the work hors and keep the wear and tear off your expensive finisher.

Walt! Stop making me buy more stuff like a DMT! :lol:
You will need some DMT or Atoma plates one day. How else are you going to keep your Jnat flat?:001_smile But yo don't have to worry about it just yet. We will allow you to get another paycheck or two under your belt before we start heckling you.:w00t:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
You will need some DMT or Atoma plates one day. How else are you going to keep your Jnat flat?:001_smile But yo don't have to worry about it just yet. We will allow you to get another paycheck or two under your belt before we start heckling you.:w00t:
:lol:

Have an extra laying around? :p

Top Bottom