What's new

Doc's Rescales

I sent some razors to Alfredo along with some woods I selected. These just arrived home. Wackers redone in stabilized Quilted Maple, Boker Silver Steel with Spanish point mod done in walnut and the ERN in a stabilized burl that I cant remember what it is...

Attachments

• $IMG_2163.jpg
    $IMG_2163.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 203
  • $IMG_2162.jpg
    $IMG_2162.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 195
  • $IMG_2165.jpg
    $IMG_2165.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 194
  • $IMG_2167.jpg
    $IMG_2167.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 198
Thanks guys, I am still marveling at how well everything turned out. I just wish I had better photographic skills to capture the beauty and depth of the quilted maple. I don't need to shave tonight, but Im going to use that ERN anyways!

Doc did a great job. He has four more of my razors making new scales for them as well. Cant wait to see them.

Thank you gentlemen

The CA finish is great, really makes the grain pop

Best captured in videos

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad Doc uploaded the videos especially the quilted maple on the Chevalier. You can only really capture the depth and complexity of its grain through light reflecting off it from multiple angles. My limited photographic skills just cant get it right.

I am really enjoying the beauty of the different woods. I think my one unknown wood on the ERN is a two toned Amboyna burl. I originally bought it for a photo prop and added to the box of woods going to Doc at the last second. I honestly think its my favorite, but that might change because the quilted maple is hard to beat.

The walnut was a bit of a surprise, it turned out well on the Boker. I was tempted to have the walnut put on a Wacker, because its a crotch cut of walnut, lol.

Thanks again for all the hard work Alfredo.

The second group of four came back. Hart Steel Custom in mystery wood, Revisor Spanish point in cocobolo, Revisor round point in briarwood and a CVH in Koa.

Attachments

• $IMG_2306.jpg
    $IMG_2306.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 84
  • $IMG_2300.jpg
    $IMG_2300.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 81
  • $IMG_2297.jpg
    $IMG_2297.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 83
  • $IMG_2307.jpg
    $IMG_2307.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 85
  • $IMG_2305.jpg
    $IMG_2305.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 81
The second group of four came back. Hart Steel Custom in mystery wood, Revisor Spanish point in cocobolo, Revisor round point in briarwood and a CVH in Koa.

WOWSERS!!!! those are outstanding!!!

Quick question for you though....the last one with the round tail/spine how does it hold in your fingers...im interested in that design.

WOWSERS!!!! those are outstanding!!!

Quick question for you though....the last one with the round tail/spine how does it hold in your fingers...im interested in that design.

Thank you, Alfredo did a great job once again. He has one more of mine that should be on the way home now. He did 9 rescales for me.

Thats a Hart Steel custom thinned paddle tang square point. I purchased it based solely based on looks. The tang is oval, thin from the side profile but wide enough on top and bottom for a good shaving grip. You actually forget there anything different about her when shaving. Stropping and honing is a bit different, as its "flippy'" if you don't use a bit of the scales for support when stropping. Alfredo didn't like honing her and I am resetting the bevel for tape free honing today. You actually have to grab the back of the blade for a secure honing grip. Top the funky grip off with the fact the blade has a slight smile built in and its a slow awkward process.

Form follows function in terms of razor design, this is a bit of a departure from that into artistic..... creativity? I like her for the looks alone, probably the most striking modern razor design I have in my collection next to the Wacker Chevalier. The design of the Hart is polarizing, either you like it or you don't.

Attachments

• $IMG_2269.jpg
    $IMG_2269.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 68
  • $IMG_2268.jpg
    $IMG_2268.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 69
  • $IMG_0126.jpg
    $IMG_0126.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 70
Brian,

All very, very nice razors, I am thinking i need to have at least one scaled in some exotic wood after looking at these, most of mine are a mixed bag of original, bone, horn and ivory scales. And you are correct the Hart is very different.

Top Bottom