What's new

Kais Are SHARP

I used a Kai blade tonight, last one out of a sampler.

These blades are really really SHARP.... I used Williams as my soap and my favorite razor, the ball end Tech.

I got a few weepers which did not bother me too much... I attribute that to rushing a little, but man, post shave my face feels very extremely exfoliated. A BBS to the max. I do not get the same feeling post shave from other sharp blades, maybe the drying effect of the Williams has something to do with it... but I dunno.

Does anybody else here who uses sharper blades like these or Feathers get the same post shave feeling, or is it just me?

I am curious.

John H.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cool to hear it worked so well. I got a BBS from a no name dollar store for my last BBS,so I'm probably no help to you, lol.

I rate Kai and Feather as the two sharpest blades that I have tried!

Some of the post-shave feel may well be Williams. I prefer soaps that have a better post-shave feel such as MWF or Haslinger's but YMMV.

I love how clean I feel after using a very sharp blade. There are others (7 o'clock yellow, Nacet, GSB, + a few others) that leave me with a similar feeling.

The only problem with KAI blades is cost. If anyone can find them in bulk at a good price, please PM me or post where I can get them.

Take care,
Jason

The only problem with KAI blades is cost. If anyone can find them in bulk at a good price, please PM me or post where I can get them.

Take care,
Jason

Yeah, with the price of them I won't be buying any... I have other blades that work just as well already.

The post shave feeling may have been caused by the Williams. It does do that, been awhile since I had last used it.

An interesting thing about Kais is the lack of printing on them... just bare metal.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've tried Kai blades, and I wasn't too thrilled. You're darn right that they are sharp, but I didn't like the feel. I do love my Feathers, though.

Everyone's always complaining about the cost of Kai blades, but at about 36 cents per blade for a 100-pack on Amazon, they're still far less expensive than any cartridge.

I'm 3 for 3 on Japanese blades (i.e. I hated every one). Feather and Kai double edge blades, and Feather Valet Carbon steel single edge. None of them work for me.

Ive used Kai, Feather etc and never noticed any face feel/exfoliation. I use a Tech or Feather Popular only. Ive cut myself once in a great while with these blades but generally dont get weepers unless its to a raised area due to prior skin problem i accidentally cut.
It sounds like your issue is razor aggressivess or shaving angle or pressure, which is excacerbated by blade sharpness. In other words youve got something other than blade sharpness going on.

Ive used Kai, Feather etc and never noticed any face feel/exfoliation. I use a Tech or Feather Popular only. Ive cut myself once in a great while with these blades but generally dont get weepers unless its to a raised area due to prior skin problem i accidentally cut.
It sounds like your issue is razor aggressivess or shaving angle or pressure, which is excacerbated by blade sharpness. In other words youve got something other than blade sharpness going on.

I was rushing a little.... perhaps I over shaved some spots.

Going for the BBS you know.

Everyone's always complaining about the cost of Kai blades, but at about 36 cents per blade for a 100-pack on Amazon, they're still far less expensive than any cartridge.

But we don't use cartridges. Almost everyone here wanted to get away from cartridges, with the extremely high price being a major factor. Look, if someone wants to use Kai blades because they don't mind paying the premium and enjoy the shave they give, that's great. Comparing them to cartridges is not really valid at all. JMO.

I haven't tried Kai blades, but I am a huge fan of Feathers. Are they sharper than Feathers? Smoother?

In the big scheme of things, none of these DE blades are expensive.

I've tried Kai blades, and I wasn't too thrilled. You're darn right that they are sharp, but I didn't like the feel. I do love my Feathers, though.

I haven't tried Kai blades, but I am a huge fan of Feathers. Are they sharper than Feathers? Smoother?

YMMV

For me, KAI blades are both sharper and smoother than Feathers. I suspect TexLaw would not agree with me. At the end of the day, I love KAI blades and am happy to pay a few pennies more for them. Feathers? Not so much.

I prefer Feathers over KAIs but YMMV. Once again, KAI are great blades.

As far as cost, the same Amazon vendor selling 100 KAI blades for $36 is also selling 200 Feathers for $40.

As been stated, KAI blades are better and cheaper than cartridges.

The only exception may be the new cartridge razor and blades being peddled by Brett Farve.

Last edited:
For me Kai and Feathers are good blades but just a bit too sharp and not quite as smooth as my top choices. Obviously, YMMV!

I'm a big fan of Kai blades. Very sharp, a bit smoother than Feathers, consistent shavers from blade to blade, day 1 to day 5 or 6. I also like that they have no sticky wax spots on them and no printing on the blade. Sleek, utilitarian looking. In a mild razor they are fantastic performers. They do tend to leave my face feeling "zingier" after a shave, which may be what the OP is referring to.

It may be just my perception, but Kai's feel a bit "thicker" than other blades. There's no way for me to confirm this, but they feel sturdier when I tighten down my EJ or Tech handle after loading a new one in. Just an impression that I get from them.

I like Kai blades. They're very sharp and have a unique feel due to their increased rigidity. They're not my first choice though because they lack the smoothness that other blades give me. I have quite a few tucks of Kais on hand though for when the mood strikes.

I'm a big fan of Kai blades. Very sharp, a bit smoother than Feathers, consistent shavers from blade to blade, day 1 to day 5 or 6. I also like that they have no sticky wax spots on them and no printing on the blade. Sleek, utilitarian looking. In a mild razor they are fantastic performers. They do tend to leave my face feeling "zingier" after a shave, which may be what the OP is referring to.

It may be just my perception, but Kai's feel a bit "thicker" than other blades. There's no way for me to confirm this, but they feel sturdier when I tighten down my EJ or Tech handle after loading a new one in. Just an impression that I get from them.

I also suspect that they ARE thicker....

I palm strop my blades between shaves and they don't bend nearly

as much as the other ones do during the stropping.

Top Bottom