What's new

Cold Weather Favorites

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It's still blazing hot here in Texas. Same for the last 10,000 years. So guys I need some help. We need a little cold air pushed down our way. The old saying, "if you cook it, it will come" type thing I know will help. Give us your favorite cold weather favorites.

For me, hands down, it's chili. Followed closely by beef stew (braised short ribs make it even better).

Borscht. I wish I knew the full recipes, but I never make it myself. I normally just end up in the kitchen chopping things up when other people make it. Beets, cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, dill, and apple cider vinegar seem to form the base. It always smells like someone has been cooking vegetable stock all day when I walk in, so probably a cabbage-based stock full of bits and pieces that get strained out before we add things. Occasionally, people add kidney beans for protein and potatoes for bulk.

Nothing better than a nice hot bowl of borscht and a cup of warm mulled cider eaten on a porch watching the sun set. It'll warm you up and put you in good spirits.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Cocoa: I love this stuff.

And the Borscht looks like a good idea. I may give that a try.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Borscht. I wish I knew the full recipes, but I never make it myself. I normally just end up in the kitchen chopping things up when other people make it. Beets, cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, dill, and apple cider vinegar seem to form the base. It always smells like someone has been cooking vegetable stock all day when I walk in, so probably a cabbage-based stock full of bits and pieces that get strained out before we add things. Occasionally, people add kidney beans for protein and potatoes for bulk.

Nothing better than a nice hot bowl of borscht and a cup of warm mulled cider eaten on a porch watching the sun set. It'll warm you up and put you in good spirits.

Cocoa: I love this stuff.

And the Borscht looks like a good idea. I may give that a try.

+1

Baked breaded turkey or chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes & gravy, creamed corn (my favorite cold weather comfort meal from childhood)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It's still blazing hot here in Texas. Same for the last 10,000 years. So guys I need some help. We need a little cold air pushed down our way. The old saying, "if you cook it, it will come" type thing I know will help. Give us your favorite cold weather favorites.

For me, hands down, it's chili. Followed closely by beef stew (braised short ribs make it even better).

Same here...

Oven roasted chicken surrounded by a melange of root vegetables roasting in the rendered chicken fat.

Osso Bucco last winter with Colcannon, sprouts braised in heavy cream and roasted orange glazed carrots- hits the spot.

proxy.php
dave

For lunch, it's a Red Pepper Soup that a friend gave us the recipe for, with a multigrain baguette. Three drops of Tabasco sauce is optional.

At night, I make a hot chocolate beverage that starts off with 3 heaping teaspoons of Carnation "Rich & Creamy" hot chocolate mix in a large mug, a teaspoon of Coffeemate, two heaping tablespoons of Fry's Cocoa, half a teaspoon of instant decaf coffee. Stir. Add about (1 ounce?) of milk, and stir it to a thick dessert topping-like consistency. Add 6-10 drops of peppermint extract. Add boiling water gradually as you stir, filling up the mug. Sometimes I'll use 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract instead of peppermint.

Two hundred seventy days until summer, it's not too soon to start talking about hot weather favourites.
dave

Homemade vegetable soup and cornbread! A million times better than the stuff from a can. The fresher the veggies, the better.

Potato soup and cornbread is another favorite.

Boiled dinner, smoked shoulder, carrots, potatoes and cabbage, simmering all day filling the house with nice smells, meat falls apart. After if you like can make pea soup with the broth and chunks of leftover stuff. We will have it once it cools down here in cent fl.

I second the call for Ossobuco- or practically any slow-cooked meat dish. The cooler weather makes the kitchen much more inviting. Don't forget Fondue and Raclette either.

My version of US Senate Bean Soup; a favorite of my late father-in-law.

Meatloaf made with a mix of ground lamb and ground beef.

Chicken (or Turkey) ala King over fresh made biscuits.

The "World's Best Lasagna" (It really is.) Allrecipes, where this recipe lives, is down right now but you can also find it here: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/worlds-best-lasagna-allrecipes-20463587

Standing Rib Roast (I like 5 bone with the fat cap intact.)

Beef Bourguignon

From scratch Corned Beef Hash. (Takes about two weeks.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom