What's new

Cold Weather Favorites

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's still blazing hot here in Texas. Same for the last 10,000 years. So guys I need some help. We need a little cold air pushed down our way. The old saying, "if you cook it, it will come" type thing I know will help. Give us your favorite cold weather favorites.

For me, hands down, it's chili. Followed closely by beef stew (braised short ribs make it even better).

This is why I suggested "Make a warm bowl" for the cookout. I love a good bowl of chili or stew. I was at the Farmer's Market this week and picked up a butternut squash. I am going to make some soup, and cornbread with jalapeno and cheese.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This is why I suggested "Make a warm bowl" for the cookout. I love a good bowl of chili or stew. I was at the Farmer's Market this week and picked up a butternut squash. I am going to make some soup, and cornbread with jalapeno and cheese.

That sounds aewsome. Pictures or it didn't happen. I say that because you always forget.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
First cold (or cool) snap here, we say, "It's gumbo weather."
Daniel:
Bingo! You hit the 'nail-on-the-head'!
proxy.php

attachment.php
"Life without Gumbo [don't forget the Filé] is like no life at all". Popular Proverb

My wife makes a mean beef "stewup." It's a very thick beef vegetable soup with coarsely diced (half-inch chunks) of cheap beef cuts, carrots, potatoes. unions, assorted mixed vegetables, plus a can of diced tomatoes, cooked in a slow cooker all day. She also makes homemade applesauce. This is one of my favorite cold weather meals: the above "stewup," the homemade applesauce, and a good crusty loaf of French or Italian bread.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My wife makes a mean beef "stewup." It's a very thick beef vegetable soup with coarsely diced (half-inch chunks) of cheap beef cuts, carrots, potatoes. unions, assorted mixed vegetables, plus a can of diced tomatoes, cooked in a slow cooker all day. She also makes homemade applesauce. This is one of my favorite cold weather meals: the above "stewup," the homemade applesauce, and a good crusty loaf of French or Italian bread.

Sounds great Jim. May I suggest carne Guisada? It's a South Texas beef stew. You can serve it with potatos, rice or the way I like it, in a flour tortilla with salsa.

Here's the recipe posted on B&B.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Heaven-on-a-Tortilla?highlight=Carne+Guisada

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Carne_Guisada_-_Heaven_On_a_Tortilla_Recipe

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I wonder what a smoked lamb shoulder (or the any other rear- ended part) my taste like?

I can tell you that a smoked lamb oyster cut shoulder is a thing of beauty.
I have also smoked a lamb leg spiked with garlic and juniper berries. Then basted with a mix of butter, olive oil, lemon juice and rosemary. Guess how that tasted......

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I can tell you that a smoked lamb oyster cut shoulder is a thing of beauty.
I have also smoked a lamb leg spiked with garlic and juniper berries. Then basted with a mix of butter, olive oil, lemon juice and rosemary. Guess how that tasted......

Let me guess....Good...great? Would a rack of lamb ribs be something you could slow smoke in a BBQ method?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Let me guess....Good...great? Would a rack of lamb ribs be something you could slow smoke in a BBQ method?

Yes it was great.

I have not tried but as low and slow is best with the fast twitch muscle groups, I would suggest not. If I was to try it I would give it the reverse sear approach and go for medium only.
Just remember fast twitch muscles cook slow and slow twitch muscles cook fast.

Now as a Rack is a slow twitch it works best cooking fast. It is basically the same cut as a Bone in Rib Eye so use that as a guide.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes it was great.

I have not tried but as low and slow is best with the fast twitch muscle groups, I would suggest not. If I was to try it I would give it the reverse sear approach and go for medium only.
Just remember fast twitch muscles cook slow and slow twitch muscles cook fast.

Now as a Rack is a slow twitch it works best cooking fast. It is basically the same cut as a Bone in Rib Eye so use that as a guide.

Gotcha.

....now all of the sudden my mind is drifting to lamb stew.

Many to chose from but a shepherds pie .

+1, there's nothing like shepherd's pie or just a plain flaky meat pie on a cold day - the ultimate comfort food! Another big one for me is a big pot of corned beef hash stew w buttermilk biscuits... I need to go visit my grandmothers :001_smile

Top Bottom