What's new

My blade split down the middle

I don't like the design.

proxy.php

Like I said, I was tightening the razor a lot, really cranking down. It is possible that this is what was causing the problem.

I have now just snugged the razor up, I'll use it like this and see if the problem repeats.

Having never shaved with one I do not speak from experience but other razors I have tried that do not clamp the blade close to the cutting edge definitely have a chatter issue.

I wonder if the curve of the top cap for the blackland is enough to negate this typical problem?

Now I am going to have to look at my razors from the side and do some visual analysis...

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't provide much more info. It turns out that the Blackland Blackbird split just about every blade I tried, GSBs, Nacets, Voskhods, Personna Red Israelis.

The razor I was using was the black oxide model. Shane offered to send me a new head to try to fix the problem.

I can't say for sure if the polished version behaves any differently, because something shiny caught my eye and I started using a Timeless Razor. So I haven't used the Blackland much since this problem appeared, and I never took Shane up on his offer.

And now, I've reverted back to my beloved Above The Tie R1, and I'm not sure if anything can convince me to switch back to anything else. That is, until the next new shiny thing comes onto the scene...

Having never shaved with one I do not speak from experience but other razors I have tried that do not clamp the blade close to the cutting edge definitely have a chatter issue.

I wonder if the curve of the top cap for the blackland is enough to negate this typical problem?

Now I am going to have to look at my razors from the side and do some visual analysis...

I have heard that some refer to audible feedback as "chatter". I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but for what it's worth the Blackbird never gave me nearly as much audible feedback as my ATT.

As ever [MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION] has hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

Before I saw Toby's posts (and pics) I looked the razor up and from the pics on the website immediately thought "well, that was just waiting to happen."
$Blackland-Blackbird-A.jpg

$Blackland-Blackbird-B.jpg

$Blackland-Blackbird-C.jpg
Lovely looking tool. But the design... :facep:

Stress corrosion (used to be called fatigue) of the metal. Razor blades are very hard, hence brittle, and I'd bet that razor both applies quite a bit of bending moment AND very little support, allowing the blade to vibrate. All the stress and strain (bend, stretch) will be concentrated at the bit of metal at each end. Too much, and it cracks, then breaks.

Won't cause any serious trouble with the blade in use, but it will be in two pieces when you open it.

Poor design, the blade needs more underside support near the edge.

Peter

Stress corrosion (used to be called fatigue) of the metal. Razor blades are very hard, hence brittle, and I'd bet that razor both applies quite a bit of bending moment AND very little support, allowing the blade to vibrate. All the stress and strain (bend, stretch) will be concentrated at the bit of metal at each end. Too much, and it cracks, then breaks.

Won't cause any serious trouble with the blade in use, but it will be in two pieces when you open it.

Poor design, the blade needs more underside support near the edge.

Peter

Definitely not stress corrosion cracking. There is no corrodent that attacks stainless steel in the normal shaving environment, and all of the blades that split in my razor were stainless steel. Not to mention that the temperatures and pressures are nowhere near where one would expect stress corrosion cracking to occur.

BTW, fatigue cracking was never called stress corrosion cracking, and the two are definitely distinct phenomena.

Top Bottom