What's new

Nib quandry

So I have a Lamy Vista EF that I like a lot, and for most of the last 6 months have been exclusively using a TWSBI Eco EF that I really enjoy. A while back I acquired a used Levenger Kyoto in M and it just wrote to fat for me. Line was too wet, and too big. I put it aside and enjoyed my others.

Recently I started eyeing up the Levenger because its just a beautiful pen, IMO. I found a F nib for it and ordered that, which I just inked today. Well, its still a bit heavy for me. Here are the issues/questions:

- I like the pen but they don't seem to offer an EF nib for it, which is what I probably need.
- Threads on cap are a bit tight, but getting better as I have been using it. Not sure if there is any correction for this.
- The end of the body has a small bend to it, but I don't think I care enough to worry about that; it's just in the back of my mind all the time when I use it.

So, can I swap any other standard nib for this one to get an EF? It doesn't look like it, but I haven't tried to disassemble the M to see if the nib separates from the feed. Is having that ground down to EF worth the effort and cost? As you can tell from my other pens, I like to stay under a cost threshold, that I am climbing ever closer to as I buy more 'corrections' for this pen.

In lieu of all that, are there other pens with a similar look that are on the inexpensive side (under $100)? Thanks in advance for any help or information.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If you really like the pen you could send it to a nib master for way under $100 and have it write just the way you like it.

strop

Now half as wise
I have a couple of Levenger pens, and I would not try to take the nib/feed assembly apart. They remind me of the Esterbrook pens with replaceable nib units, just without the vast selection that Esterbrook had. If you like the Levenger pen, the best bet is to send it to someone to have the nib reground.

If I decide to have the nib ground, anyone have recommendations for a good vendor who does that? Second, since the threads on the cap are tight I might move to a new pen instead. Are there other good pens with a similar flecked style that are affordable?

I have a Letta ground nib and enjoy but I went in the opposite route. I went to an OB from a plain BB but it does what it should. Having met and listened to Pendleton Brown I would send a nib his way as well. Really everyone here has been mentioned numerous and I don't think I've read a bad review in regard to any of them.

Top Bottom