What's new

October Mess Hall Group Cookout - Theme: Iron Chef

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
And how much, if at all, are you allowed to expand beyond the core five ingredients?

dave

It's my understanding that you can add any additional ingredients you want as long as you use the core five split between a couple of dishes.

For example using Jim/langod's list of "Fish, Corn, Pumpkin, Prosciutto, & Chocolate", maybe you make a main dish using Fish & Corn with a dessert made using Pumpkin, Prosciutto, & Chocolate.

Intrigued

Quick!!! We need more people to submit items for the cookout to cut down on the likelihood of Dave's Calf Liver and Tofu making the final list. :blink:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Quick!!! We need more people to submit items for the cookout to cut down on the likelihood of Dave's Calf Liver and Tofu making the final list. :blink:
Okay

head cheese
tripe
Rocky Mountain Oysters
Pig's feet
carrots

Glad I could help :biggrin:

There is method to my madness!

A food enthusiast friend recommended i try out this little hole-in-the-wall real Chinese, Chinese restaurant and first thing i ordered was the Chef's Special. The waitress had this incredulous look on her face, "Are you sure, Do you know what the chef's special is?" I didn't, it was all organ meats and may have included some tofu just for good measure. It was alright, never ordered it again but they did have a terrific hot and sour soup, best one going plus loads of other delights. Often the only non-Asian table.

Not what i had in mind though for tofu and calf liver...

dave

Intrigued

There is method to my madness!

A food enthusiast friend recommended i try out this little hole-in-the-wall real Chinese, Chinese restaurant and first thing i ordered was the Chef's Special. The waitress had this incredulous look on her face, "Are you sure, Do you know what the chef's special is?" I didn't, it was all organ meats and may have included some tofu just for good measure. It was alright, never ordered it again but they did have a terrific hot and sour soup, best one going plus loads of other delights. Often the only non-Asian table.

Not what i had in mind though for tofu and calf liver...

dave

See that's why I suggested randomizing the list, so that nobody got the chance to bring in a weird list that they already had recipes for. :lol:

Now back to Owens list... :glare: My rule for the Oct. Cookout.... You can only submit a list if you are going to take part in the cookout. 'Cause if members pop in from all over the forum just to make bizarre and disgusting list, this cookout is not going to work out to well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
See that's why I suggested randomizing the list, so that nobody got the chance to bring in a weird list that they already had recipes for. :lol:

Now back to Owens list... :glare: My rule for the Oct. Cookout.... You can only submit a list if you are going to take part in the cookout. 'Cause if members pop in from all over the forum just to make bizarre and disgusting list, this cookout is not going to work out to well.

I thought people would react to the ridiculous juxtaposition of the first 4 oddball items and carrots :biggrin:

+1 do you think chicken livers would be better?

Seeing as we're a worldly scattered group i think whatever offal was easily/readily available to each participant would be acceptable if calf liver was to make the cut.

Can't recall having liver since i was a kid and back then it was choke down the shoe leather, i think i can still taste it, feel it in my mouth! For a couple years now i've been eyeing it, i will, i won't, i will, no i won't try it... This would force my hand, time for action, face down the revulsion, cook it right, i'm curious! It may be time to revisit the nightmare.

dave

Intrigued

Seeing as we're a worldly scattered group i think whatever offal was easily/readily available to each participant would be acceptable if calf liver was to make the cut.

Can't recall having liver since i was a kid and back then it was choke down the shoe leather, i think i can still taste it, feel it in my mouth! For a couple years now i've been eyeing it, i will, i won't, i will, no i won't try it... This would force my hand, time for action, face down the revulsion, cook it right, i'm curious! It may be time to revisit the nightmare.

dave

I don't know that I'd want my hand to be forced in this particular challenge..... but try cooking up some bacon till it's nice and crispy. Now take some of that bacon grease and fry up some sliced onion until soft and slightly caramelized. Set the onion aside. Now take some calfs liver... salt and pepper it and dredge in some flour. Fry it in that pan until it's golden brown, turn it over brown that side. Now serve it with with the onions and crispy crumbled bacon. That's some pretty good eating right there. :001_smile

Thanks Connie, a classic! My wife says she used to eat liver regularly before we married and how did she prepare it, she must have read your post.

Thanks again, keep your fingers crossed, liver...
dave

Top Bottom