What's new

Enter to VENT

I haven't come across a room suitable for venting annoyances of the shaving world. Ones that those who share our passion may encounter.

Like today, I got my brand new Ralf Aust SR in the mail today, and wanted to show it off to my daughters' mother and my own mother. MUCH to my dismay, they (being non-familiar with SRs) their first inclination was to open it and try to take some hair off of their arms with it, I immediately cringed both times and told them (calmly, as to not cause them to jump) to not do that. The shave ready edge is so fine that any non-essential surface contact for the blade can dull or cause other various edge related mishaps. They did not understand, of course. But it just really irked me that I can't show that to anyone without the immediately trying to shave a part of the with it, when I haven't even gotten to try the edge first.

So my vent is non-shavers or newbies to shaving, trying out the blade edge when they don't understand that damage can actually be done to it if you have a bad angle or at least dull it before I get a chance to first use it. Its like buying a firearm, then someone squeezes off a shot before you, it's maddening that they aren't more considerate of me being the firs to feel that fresh RA edge. But they didn't know, so I wasn't harsh.

Anyway, that's my vent. Please post your vents or annoyances, or anything that bugs you about non-shavers or newbies. But of course, please post in good conscience, I did not start this post to "hate" or knock people down. We are an unique community and other's simply do not understand our ways, so please be patient and understanding. There won't be any hurtful talk in this thread or you will not be welcome to participate.

I don't think that anyone here will be hurtful on purpose, just a disclaimer to remind everyone that this community is about learning and helping people with this interest/way of life. All are welcome to it, and everyone had to learn for a first time.

At least they didn't use it to open up boxes or chop carrots?

Bottom line: NEVER let anyone touch your stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
Arm hair is less tough than face hair. You would probably damage the edge more shaving normally with it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Maybe the Barber Shop would be a better fit to your question.

That being said we were all new shavers at one point, so we all likely made the same faux pas that would make veterans cringe. I am grateful the members here were patient enough to help me the through those times :).

The one thing I hate hearing..... You don't neeeeeed another razor.

Woman yes I do! Quit saying that. These are pieces of history. Who knows who could have used these.

The one thing I hate hearing..... You don't neeeeeed another razor.

Woman yes I do! Quit saying that. These are pieces of history. Who knows who could have used these.

Yeah, she's got 40 pair of shoes in her closet and tells me I don't need another razor. The injustice of it all!

I'm with you two. It really irks me when she whines about me spending $50 on something when A) I never tell her how to spend my money and B) She ain't got no job. lol

Yeah, she's got 40 pair of shoes in her closet and tells me I don't need another razor. The injustice of it all!

Be careful with that shoe line....they can hurt!!

proxy.php

I've experienced that too, you show someone a new razor and they immediately rub their thumb in the edge to see how sharp it is

Top Bottom