What's new

About to start my hunt.

I am about to start my hunt for my first vintage DE. I've only started DE a few month ago with my Muhle R89. I hope this doesn't lead to RAD. Anyways:

1. What is the first thing to look at when looking at a vintage DE?
2. Any tips when purchasing online? Am not really worried about our BST but more of the other site out there.
3. How do you clean a used razor? Is barbicide any good?
I have more questions but let's start slow.

Any other tricks/tips/links are welcomed.

Thank you everyone.

1 The razor has all the components it should (they don't always) and you like the look of it. Things like bent teeth on open comb razors need not necessarily be a deal breaker, but I would avoid anything with obvious signs of damage. However, plate loss is not something to worry too much about, and nor is a layer of dirty soap scum.
2 Look for a good history for the seller. Don't pay more than you're comfortable with. Some very good vintafe razors like New and Old type Gillettes can be had for £15 or less (or the equivalent in $s).
3 Soak in dish soap and hot water for a few hours, scrub with an old soft toothbrush, repeat if necessary, then let sit for 15 mins in Scrubbing Bubbles, with bleach in, to kill any bacteria off. Rinse and use. Or, if the razor is nickel plated and the finish is a bit scratched, youn can buff lightly with a mild polish like Flitz. I wouldn't do this with gold plated razors.

Good hunting.

Hi boys and girls,

can you spell Razor Acquisition Disease?

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole.. come on in.. lots of room....

:a29:

1 The razor has all the components it should (they don't always) and you like the look of it. Things like bent teeth on open comb razors need not necessarily be a deal breaker, but I would avoid anything with obvious signs of damage. However, plate loss is not something to worry too much about, and nor is a layer of dirty soap scum.
2 Look for a good history for the seller. Don't pay more than you're comfortable with. Some very good vintafe razors like New and Old type Gillettes can be had for £15 or less (or the equivalent in $s).
3 Soak in dish soap and hot water for a few hours, scrub with an old soft toothbrush, repeat if necessary, then let sit for 15 mins in Scrubbing Bubbles, with bleach in, to kill any bacteria off. Rinse and use. Or, if the razor is nickel plated and the finish is a bit scratched, youn can buff lightly with a mild polish like Flitz. I wouldn't do this with gold plated razors.

Good hunting.

+1 to Cumberland Sausage's advice. Especially don't catch "Buck Fever" when bidding... stick to your budget.

I was good yesterday.. I watched a clicking counter counting down the final 3 minutes on ebay watching a nice FatBoy in need of some love go to another home. I was so proud of myself.. I was sad.. Today is a new day with another struggle. :D

I think the hunting and finding is part of the fun. shh.. I'm going to an antique mall today for some scouting...wish me luck.

I hope this doesn't lead to RAD.
Famous last words!

1. What is the first thing to look at when looking at a vintage DE?
I start looking at antique stores and thrift shops. I buy anything that I find, that is reasonably priced. You'll usually do better price wise at antique stores than online, and therefore get to try more variety.
2. Any tips when purchasing online? Am not really worried about our BST but more of the other site out there.
Look at pics carefully. (If shopping for Single Edge razors, be sure to look at blade stops! Ensure seller accepts returns. Read descriptions carefully. If seller doesn't give good descriptions, ask questions.
3. How do you clean a used razor? Is barbicide any good?
Scrubbing bubbles, Toothbrush, Dish soap, toothpicks, Q-tips, MAAS metal polish, rag/washcloth. That All I use for any razor job. Barbicide is a disinfectant only. Scrubbing bubbles will clean and disinfect. And SB is much cheaper!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sorry, I wrote in my first post on this thread to soak in Scrubbing Bubbles with bleach in; it should be with NO bleach in.

I quoted the above only to underline that you only want to use scrubbing bubbles with NO bleach in it. On the same note, be careful about doing anything to harsh with your razors. You'll see a bunch of folks talking about doing all sorts of things to "clean" or disinfect a razor, but all you really need to do is get it visibly clean. Don't go ruining your plating or paint (if you have any paint on the razor) out of some unfounded fear. If your razor is clean, rubbing alcohol will sanitize just fine.

If you're looking at that other site, check out the "sold" listings on that site to give you an idea of what a decent price is for whatever razor(s) you might have your eye on.

Start looking in local antique stores first. If you find a good razor you will probably save money. Antique store razors are educational and fun for a newbie.

Look for a razor that is mechanically intact and in good working order. Doors aligned and close smoothly and properly on a twist to open razor is paramount. Ditto no cavities or broken teeth on an open combed razor.

The condition of the finish is important. You might like and use that razor for decades.

What is the toughness of your beard? If your whiskers are coarse, you don't want a mild razor like a Gillette Tech. You would have more in common with a more aggressive razor like a Gillette Super Speed Red Tip, for just one example. Whiskers mild? Then conversely a Gillette Tech, for example, would be fine for you.

BTW I've never met an adjustable razor that I didn't like. Instead of customizing your beard to your razor, an adjustable razor allows the shaver to customize one razor to their whiskers. The Gillette Fat Boy, Slim, and Super Speed Adjustable are outstanding in appearance and performance.

The concern over sterilization is vastly overstated. A razor sitting in a dusty antique store for a week has fewer "germs" on it than your plate and silverware at you favorite restaurant IMO. A soak in a little warm soapy water and a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush is all you need to clean a razor.

Last edited:
How common is it to find a razor in a antique store. Most of the stores around me are about a good hour drive. Like should I try and call the stores or just hope for the best and look around. Don't get me wrong I could find something else cool at the stores but when am on a mission I tend to really get a bit tunnel visioned.

Top Bottom