What's new

Locals Only

Like many here, I do a lot of my purchases on-line. I would love to have a local place where I could peruse, shop, and maybe even chat. I recently found an interesting local shave shop (no need to mention names unless asked) that turned out to be a little disappointing, mostly because of the overpriced items, but also a limited selection.

Post any local gems you've found here. The only rules are: keep it local, no national chains please. And only list the city and state, physical addresses are not necessary; locals will be able to find it.

The only place I know about in Albuquerque that carries soaps, blades, brushes, etc. is Model Pharmacy. They have a small corner of the store that is dedicated to traditional shaving. I've purchased various small items there, but no razors as I prefer vintage Gillettes, and they only carry modern razors. Their prices are high, which is understandable as they are a small brick and mortar and have overhead. They must have a problem with shoplifting as they find it necessary to follow you around the store and watch you the whole time you are there. It makes for uncomfortable visits. They normally have a pretty good variety of shaving items, but the last time I was there (last weekend) their selection seemed a little sparse (hopefully due to sales and not five-finger discounts).

I would love to have a local place where I could peruse, shop, and maybe even chat. I recently found an interesting local shave shop (no need to mention names unless asked) that turned out to be a little disappointing, mostly because of the overpriced items, but also a limited selection.

Not a whole lot in southern california, nothing worth mentioning in orange county. There's one in LA on Broadway called ross cutlery. But, they are so overpriced and the staff has a chip on their shoulder that they're not good for anything other than showcasing. I've only bought from two places: Online (ebay/amazon/aliexpress) and flea markets, despite having a collection with a decent rotation.

Last edited:
Not a whole lot in southern california, nothing worth mentioning in orange county. There's one in LA on Broadway called ross cutlery. But, they are so overpriced and the staff has a chip on their shoulder that they're not good for anything other than showcasing. I've only bought from two places: Online (ebay/amazon/aliexpress) and flea markets, despite having a collection with a decent rotation.
I need to check out some flea markets. I'm in an independent city adjacent to Los Angeles. One shop nearby is kind of a bust (as mentioned earlier) and there is an AOS barber/razor supply store, which is also a bust due to overpricing and stock mostly limited to their own brand. There are one or two other shops in my general area, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I've tried second hand shops, but haven't found anything.
I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
We have one not to far from me, but I have never been there yet. It is in Media, Ohio. And sounds like a nice place.

We have one not to far from me, but I have never been there yet. It is in Media, Ohio. And sounds like a nice place.

Actually it is in Medina, Ohio. I've been there more than once. Take a two wheel dolly in there - it will make it easier on your back as you haul off your purchase. LOTS of stuff and displayed beautifully.

Charlie, what is it that you're looking for? If you're checking flea markets, sounds like you're looking for razors. I don't know of a brick & mortar in the L.A. area for vintage razors.

If you're looking for software, try Old Town Shaving in Pasadena. Their prices are competitive (you'll always be able to find it cheaper online) and the staff is much more knowledgeable than AoS. The owner, Damon, is a very nice guy and will talk shaving any time. If you're to the east of L.A., try West Coast Shaving. They are in Chino and have a storefront (with online pricing). If you're to the northwest (or in the San Fernando Valley), there is Handlebar Supply (or Handlebar Barbershop ... I forget what the exact name is) in Thousand Oaks. They used to be a vendor here at B&B, but for some reason the owner let his membership go. I think he still posts, though. I've bought from them online, but have not been there in person.

It's been my experience that in Southern California, antique shops are a waste of time. Too expensive and most of them specialize in furniture.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Actually it is in Medina, Ohio. I've been there more than once. Take a two wheel dolly in there - it will make it easier on your back as you haul off your purchase. LOTS of stuff and displayed beautifully.
Sorry Medina[emoji106]
It's on my list of things to do

I tried Old Town. Great people and really knowledgable. It was like talking to someone from this forum. The store looked nice (literally, a brick & mortar) and had a lot of untapped potential. Very welcoming and pleasant. However, very minimal vintage available and prices were waaayyyy too high. I expected prices to be higher than on-line and was okay with paying a little more to help support a local shopfront, but most of the prices were so high that it made me feel like I was being suckered instead of appreciated. I bought some things because I was there and the staff was so great, but I doubt I'll go back.
Old Town Passadena is kind of an upscale, foofy, yuppy, hipster, liberal area. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful area with a lot of culture and art, but if you're looking for an area to hustle, it is full of marks. Probably already has a few confidence men and grifters working there. Too bad.

I'm always on the lookout for something vintage, but not for top dollar. I was, more or less, looking for a home of sorts. I'll try Oh!U later since they're practicall just down the street from me, but it seems like it is only a place to buy things and not a home/shop, I'll see.

I tried Old Town. Great people and really knowledgable. It was like talking to someone from this forum. The store looked nice (literally, a brick & mortar) and had a lot of untapped potential. Very welcoming and pleasant. However, very minimal vintage available and prices were waaayyyy too high. I expected prices to be higher than on-line and was okay with paying a little more to help support a local shopfront, but most of the prices were so high that it made me feel like I was being suckered instead of appreciated. I bought some things because I was there and the staff was so great, but I doubt I'll go back.
Old Town Passadena is kind of an upscale, foofy, yuppy, hipster, liberal area. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful area with a lot of culture and art, but if you're looking for an area to hustle, it is full of marks. Probably already has a few confidence men and grifters working there. Too bad.

I'm always on the lookout for something vintage, but not for top dollar. I was, more or less, looking for a home of sorts. I'll try Oh!U later since they're practicall just down the street from me, but it seems like it is only a place to buy things and not a home/shop, I'll see.

Was going to mention Old Town but yes they are in a high end area. Ross Cutlery is way over priced on vintage razors. Plus parking is not great.

West Coast Shaving in Chino

There's a store in Torrance called Shaver Shop. It's a bit more than online.

A bit more than on-line, I can deal with. It's when the price is 200-300% more than on-line, that I won't support them, no matter how nice they are.

BTW, there are many over priced items on-line too.

I've never been there myself, but in Baltimore, MD there is a place downtown called The Quintessential Gentleman. Its a combination barbershop, cigar store, coffee bar, sports club type place that will cater to just about any whim or legal fancy a Man might have.

Its the current rendition of many of the type of shops my grandfather took me to in the early 1960s ... updated with things like free WiFi and ginormous 4K TVs.

A bit more than on-line, I can deal with. It's when the price is 200-300% more than on-line, that I won't support them, no matter how nice they are.

BTW, there are many over priced items on-line too.

Yeah, Old Town Shaving is definitely not the place to buy vintage gear. I've never found affordable vintage gear in the wild, in Los Angeles.

You kidding me??? RoyalShave in Anaheim/CostaMesa....Mike and the gang their are fantastic! Not a huge showroom but they are more than happy to take out anything thats in stock on the web site for your oggling....

The only place I know about in Albuquerque that carries soaps, blades, brushes, etc. is Model Pharmacy. They have a small corner of the store that is dedicated to traditional shaving. I've purchased various small items there, but no razors as I prefer vintage Gillettes, and they only carry modern razors. Their prices are high, which is understandable as they are a small brick and mortar and have overhead. They must have a problem with shoplifting as they find it necessary to follow you around the store and watch you the whole time you are there. It makes for uncomfortable visits. They normally have a pretty good variety of shaving items, but the last time I was there (last weekend) their selection seemed a little sparse (hopefully due to sales and not five-finger discounts).
Be sure to have a seat and enjoy a shake!

Top Bottom