What's new

Celluloid rot is evil

Got this huge blade in a lot of other huge solingens. The usual suspect is responsible-cracked ice celluloid. I put a junk blade in a ziploc bag with the scales to see just how aggressive the process it but such a shame. Sanding in jest. $20160904_145001.jpg$20160904_155102.jpg$20160904_155125.jpg$20160904_181315.jpg$20160904_181321.jpg

Yeah it's something. And its always the clear or least pigmented sections that gas off. Celluloid that's more pigmented with color tend not to do it. On some pieces you can pretty much line up the patterns with the rust.

Le grelot is the only bad black celluloid I know of really. It shrinks like crazy. Stinks because not many old scales fit a le grelot blade

$20160904_145031.jpg

I threw that sandwiched in thise scales amd wrapped in a sealed ziploc. I will update this at intervals if anything interesting occurs

I suspect the celluloid would be fine if the razor was used all the time -- no accumulation of corrosive gas. Sadly, most vintage straights have been sitting in mostly closed containers for decades, hence the damage.

I will be replacing scales on a lot of razors - either they are broken or badly warped. Easy enough to make and I'm an accumulator, not a collector, so I don't really care about "original" condition that much.

Too bad that razor is now a collector's item -- too many pits near the edge to ever get it really sharp, I suspect.

Peter

I suspect the celluloid would be fine if the razor was used all the time -- no accumulation of corrosive gas. Sadly, most vintage straights have been sitting in mostly closed containers for decades, hence the damage.

I will be replacing scales on a lot of razors - either they are broken or badly warped. Easy enough to make and I'm an accumulator, not a collector, so I don't really care about "original" condition that much.

Too bad that razor is now a collector's item -- too many pits near the edge to ever get it really sharp, I suspect.

Peter

doesnt matter if it's used or not. When they go they go . Nothing in the world you can do to stop it. And yeah I do know how fast that gas eats a blade. Nearly before your eyes !

Btw, I had a quick peep. Junk razor is already corroding a bit! People don't take cell rot serious who haven't dealt. I have heard tales of ppl trying to resue boxes that had razors with major rot in there prior and getting corrosion

If the celluloid is decomposing, it's probably producing nitric acid (it is cellulose nitrate). Cellulose acetate releases acetic acid -- a lot of my mother's Kodachomes from the 40's are going bad in a similar way.

Best to get suspect scales off, I guess.

Peter

Just an update. Blade and scales have been in a ziploc for a month and now you can see the germ of the same rype of rot pattern the original blade was subjected to $20161010_140356.jpg$20161010_140430.jpg

And if left open exposed to the air/humidity what more could we see?
i think we have all either experienced or read about rust spots over night on a blade not completely dry.

Moisture is no party either. I suspect this process would be somewhat slower in the open air, but it is still eating at the blade all the same.

Top Bottom