What's new

Above The Tie Kronos SE1: First shave

Just received my ATT SE1 on the Kronos handle today. Purchased directly from the Above The Tie website. Also picked up Kai Captain Mild blades, which I used for the shave.

Little bit about me... Learned on a DE, I have shaved a few times with various disposable cartridge razors, don't like them. Unlike a lot of guys here, I don't spend a ton of time shaving, it's not some luxuriant morning-spa-me-time experience at all, it's purely utilitarian. I face lather, because it's quick. I don't prep beyond soaking my brush and wetting my face. I shave fast, usually two passes.

Right off the bat, this should have been a terrible shave. A few reasons for that... Firstly, I usually shave every 3-4 days because my beard grows slowly. It's full and relatively coarse, just slow. This time I shaved after 2 days, and with me that's asking for a bad shave. Secondly, I'm using a new brush I'm still figuring out, and not only did I only soak it for like 30 seconds, I didn't shake out enough water, so my lather was foamy and not as thick as I like. Thirdly, this is a new razor I'm unfamiliar with, and I shaved faster than usual, because I was in a rush. I just whipped it around my face.

As it turns out, this was a pretty fantastic shave, despite my apparent best efforts. Zero irritation, no nicks, and baby smooth after two passes, with and against the grain. This razor does not have the learning curve I was expecting. It just delivers. It's really sort of a hybrid experience... Half DE shave, half barbershop straight-razor shave. Like a barber shave, I could hear every hair being cut. Very audible experience. Love this razor under the nose... Detail work is easy, which I was surprised by, as it's a much wider head side-to-side than a standard DE, since the blades are longer. Probably helps that it's pretty thin (meaning the head is thin top to bottom) where the blade sits. The Kronos handle initially appeared a little short. When I first opened the package I thought I'd probably end up swapping it out for the Colossus. However I think that's just an optical illusion due to the wide head... the Kronos fills the hand just fine, and allows for multiple grips. All in all, the SE1 Kronos is just an excellent, highly functional razor.

I won't go into the finishing and build quality of the razor... Plenty of threads on that. Suffice to say, it's top-notch.

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying your SE1. I got the one with the bamboo handle when they first came out. I was worried about the handle, but it turned out not to be a problem. In fact, I like the bamboo handle as well as any of the handles on my other razors. The SE1 is a real beauty and provides a heck of a close, comfortable shave.

Thanks for the review - I have decided that this is the the #1 wish list for a razor. I wanted the Mongoose (thinking it was the only "new" SE out there. everything about this razor is just beautiful.

I too have one with the Kronos handle on it and I love it. I think this could be the best designed SE razor ever. The artist club type blades are the sharpest blades around. And they last awhile too. Together they are a great match. Can't be beat IMO.

I'm into my first week with ATT Colossus SE1 and find the razor to be excellent. Had a couple of first shave nicks due to my bad technique/not the razor's fault. Think I've got it dialed in using lighter touch. It's good!!

I've had mine for awhile now and have to say, the SE1 + Kronos is the shizzle. I received the bamboo handle with my purchases at AtT and re-purposed it under a Muhle R41 head with phenomenal result. This razor head seemed to be designed to take optimum benefits from the Kai Titan blade with none of the potential downsides that can be experienced using single edge blades with Artist Club.

"The artist club type blades are the sharpest blades around. And they last awhile too."

I'm on day 15 on one of these blades, with a RR Hawk. Still can't believe how long the blades last.

Top Bottom