What's new

Heresy; burnt at the stake

Electric on the right.

proxy.php

Electric on the right.

Those photos look like pretty convincing evidence, sure.

But, in fact, one photo doesn't really prove anything. Out of thousands (millions) of whiskers shaved, I assume it'd be possible to get a microphoto showing how a safety razor left a jagged result and tore up one's skin, while the electric made a smooth, even cut and was gentle as could be.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, electric doesn't do quite as good a job for me as does a safety razor. Still, lots of men do use electrics, and some of them do seem to get good shaves from them. So I'm disinclined to make any blanket statement about how horrible electrics are. These things can, and do, vary from person to person, from electric shaver to electric shaver, from one beard prep routine to the next, and so on. If somebody wants to give an electric a try, fine. A few actual shaves are worth more than all the microphotos in the world.

WATT??? OH My word, I AM Personally SHOCKED at such a reVOLTing thought. I know we should LIVE and let live, but I cannot remain NEUTRAL on this issue. You need to show more RESISTANCE, reFUSE to yield, and curb your CURRENT thinking. Burning at the stake is too good for you - you should be subjected to assault and BATTERY.

OHM my... I agree with the general ARC of your argument, but I think we should remain GROUNDED and not AMP things up. What on EARTH were you thinking? I think we should go with the original punishment and go for the burning at the stake. Who has a POLE?

Last edited:
OHM my... I agree with the general ARC of your argument, but I think we should remain GROUNDED and not AMP things up. What on EARTH were you thinking? I think we should go with the original punishment and go for the burning at the stake. Who has a POLE?

Will these do?

proxy.php

I have never tried a wet electric shaver but i used to have one that was self cleaning and stuff and that thing used to tear my face up something horrid and would miss hair or at the very least it would make it feel like that micro picture and give me horrid ingrown hairs and made my neck look worst than when I was using carts.

I used nothing but electric razors until 2 months ago (I'm 50 years old), had them all, rotatory, foil, double foil etc. My last was the Phillips 1250x, by far the best electric I'd ever used. You need to replace the cutting head at least once/year, and they changed the replacement head to a much poorer design. I got tired of the ingrown hairs and major skin irritation, plus I didn't want to spend ~$50 on a cutter head that sucked, found this forum and jumped into DE shaving.

While more of a process, DE shaving really doesn't take much longer than electrics. You need to go over you face 3 or 4 times to achieve the same shave as one pass with a DE. This of course leaves your face beat red from irritation, and if you go more than 3 days without shaving electrics are painful, major pulling and you'll need at least 4 passes. My neck would often be red for 2 days from the electric, and you'll never get a close shave with an electric.

I used to shave every other day, love the DE so much I've been shaving every day, my skin is much better and the ingrown hairs have slowly gone away.

I have a high end Philishave but only use it if I am in a real hurry. I find it gives a good shave as far as looks are concerned but not a very smooth "feel". Also if I use it for more than two days running I experience skin irritation. I am now 71 years old and have settled on a Feather AS-D2 and a Toggle as my two "go to" razors. The Philishave gets used about three or four times a year, that is more than enough.

Only thing I use my electric for these days is to keep my ear and nostril hairs at bay in between attacking them with scissors. :laugh:
Ear hair for sure. I, ahem, also use an electric trimmer to keep my eyebrows from metamorphosing into caterpillars. For you young guys -- you're next, don't laugh!

I can't argue with that. Having said that; the difference for me it like chosing between a 57 Chevy and a Volt.

For a couple of months (unusual circumstances), I shaved with a Philips Norelco 1250x. It's one of Philips' higher end electrics, although not at the very top of the line. Three heads, 3D flex, waterproof, etc.

I normally shave in the shower, and continued to do so with the 1250x. With both Nivea Sensitive shaving cream (can) and Nancy Boy shaving cream.

The quality of my shaves was acceptable, right from the start. Somewhat more irritation than with a double edge, but not to the extent that it was an absolute deal breaker.

Cleaning the shaver wasn't a big deal. Usually, just a rinse it with water in the shower. Every so often, it'd get a more comprehensive cleaning. So, pretty much like keeping a double edge razor clean.

Overall, I get a better shave from a double edge razor, and I was happy to return to using a double edge. But the Norelco was good enough that if I'd had to keep using an electric, I'd still have been clean shaven and looking presentable.

Using it outside the shower (I tried this a number of times) tended to yield decidedly inferior results - vastly more irritation. Perhaps just a consequence of my not being used to shaving that way, although on those occasions when I shave with a double edge razor outside the shower, the drop in shave quality is quite modest. So, an open question.

Shaving with the electric in the shower, but without the use of shaving cream, likewise resulted in significantly increased irritation. 'Course, shaving with a double edge razor without shaving cream is a non-starter of an idea for me, too.

As for burning you at the stake, I don't have any religious fervor for my method of shaving. I want a close, irritation-free shave. I prefer using a double edge razor, because that tends to give me a close, irritation-free shave, and an electric shaver isn't quite as good - at least for me. It's a purely pragmatic decision, not one based on deep emotion.

If there were some inexpensive pill I could swallow every morning, which would have absolutely no effect on my beyond causing me to stop growing whiskers on my face, I'd swallow it. I care about being clean shaven, not about how I get there. I don't shave for the joy of the process; I care about the outcome.

If you can get a close, irritation-free shave from an electric, then why shouldn't you use an electric?

I can't argue with that. Having said that; the difference for me it like chosing between a 57 Chevy and a Volt.

Top Bottom