What's new

Gem Micromatic

The MMOC is great. I'm glad it is treating you well.

It really has been an interesting two(Yes two!) shaves. Tonight was a two days growth and the first pass I thought this is not cutting anything. Until I looked in the water in the sink and realized how much it was actually doing! For some reason with this razor I filled the bowl with water to rinse - I think I like the feed back I get and running water drowns it out.

You got a great deal on that MMOC, I got mine for 8$ buy it isn't half as clean as yours, but if you like the MMOC you gotta try the Everready shovelhead (1924) and the everready 1914 ( the little lather catcher ) I just revisited the shovelhead with a shim in it and wow amazingly smooth and deceptively agressive and in my opinion more efficient than the MMOC but if you do get a shovelhead there are at least 2 main types the square gard bar [(most aggressive ) the one I like] and the round guard bar slightly less agressive but still very efficient anyway you have opened up a whole new kinda RAD rabbit hole with SE

You got a great deal on that MMOC, I got mine for 8$ buy it isn't half as clean as yours, but if you like the MMOC you gotta try the Everready shovelhead (1924) and the everready 1914 ( the little lather catcher ) I just revisited the shovelhead with a shim in it and wow amazingly smooth and deceptively agressive and in my opinion more efficient than the MMOC but if you do get a shovelhead there are at least 2 main types the square gard bar [(most aggressive ) the one I like] and the round guard bar slightly less agressive but still very efficient anyway you have opened up a whole new kinda RAD rabbit hole with SE

Can you show pictures of the round versus square guards? Or link to a thread with them?

n $IMG_5985.jpg

Great pic indeed!

It isn't easy to get the right angle so that the difference can easily be seen.

I know - I've tried!

--Bob

CVS and Rite-Aid had blades but I am pretty sure they are not PTFE blade - where are those hidden in the wild or wil I have to go on the WWW to find them?

Those two store sell high carbon steel blades and are not coated. In the wild look for Gem by Personna Stainless Steel blades, they are coated. It cuts for me the same as the PTFE blades. So I assume they are the same coating. Walgreens carry them, or I should say some do. It depends on the store. On the web I suggest http://www.myotcstore.com/ They have lowers prices than many sellers. Each month they change price so it goes up and down, but is cheaper than the locally owed drugstore price. (I prefer the high carbon steel blades to the SS.)

Tryablade.com is where I purchased my PTFE blades.

I have one loaded in my GEM MM Clog Pruf with 3 shaves on it. My next goal is to see how many shaves it will provide before tossing. I have nothing to compare it to as my SE experience is rather limited and this is a new journey for me.

Tryablade.com is where I purchased my PTFE blades.

I have one loaded in my GEM MM Clog Pruf with 3 shaves on it. My next goal is to see how many shaves it will provide before tossing. I have nothing to compare it to as my SE experience is rather limited and this is a new journey for me.

I get between 8 and 14 shaves from the Ted Pella PTFE blades. I will be interested to see what you get from them.

Check Fred Meyers, pretty much every one I've visited in Oregon (and I live in Portland) carries GEM single edge blades in the shaving section.

Checked both Walgreens near me and neither carry SE blades. :bored:
I will have to wait until my order arrives from Tryablade.

do not have a Fred Meyers, and just checked the Wallgreens near the house - no go. I will look at other WG but may just get some on line when I need more.

So last night I wanted to shave with this again - 4th over all. I have been taking the blade out after each use and drying and storing on a paper towel. I did not make it through the 2nd pass - awful. I thought the blades lasted closer to 10-12 minimum.

was this unusual or do I have to get the coated blades?

The Gem stainless steel blades sold in the 10-pack dispenser (below) are coated, even though it does not explicitly say so on the packaging. This has been verified by ASR.

$450.jpg

In addition, West Coast Shaving carries these blades (another good source) and describes them as "made from high quality coated stainless steel."

I personally believe that these are the same as the ptfe coated blades sold in bulk by Ted Pella, etc., but that is just my opinion.

--Bob

yeah - my Walgreens does not have them - or any really.

I will keep a look out and try the ones I have again - until they are gone then replace with the GEM if they do not get any better.

Thanks guys!

yeah - my Walgreens does not have them - or any really.

I will keep a look out and try the ones I have again - until they are gone then replace with the GEM if they do not get any better.

Thanks guys!

Apparently at some store locations they keep them behind the counter, you have to ask for them.

Top Bottom