What's new

Faded dial numbers on Gillette Adjustable

I got this Gillette Slim Adjustable from eBay. It's in great mechanical shape, and cosmetically pretty nice.
The only problem is that the numbers on the adjuster dial are faded or else the black [enamel?] has partially come off. It's difficult enough to read them without my glasses. :detective:

Is there a recommended paint and/or method for restoring them?

I'm thinking to just use Testor's black model enamel, dab it into the numbers with a fine watercolour brush or toothpick, and wipe the excess off with a paper towel. Repeat if necessary.

Anybody ever have to do something like this? How did it turn out and/or how long did it last?

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Been there, done that. You got it right.

Use a bright color for your favorite setting or start shaving with your glasses. :surrender:

paint,or nail polish.the nail polish is new to me but sounds good enough that im going to use it on my next project

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I use testors gloss black enamel. Works great using the method you described.

Cheers,
Adam

I second Doug. Testors lacquer instead of an acrylic enamel can be hardened with a blow dryer for an extremely durable repaint. The original paint used by Gillette was lacquer. With that said, their enamel is easy to use, cleans up with soap and warm water when you are finished, and will last for some time. Regardless of the paint you choose- it is an easy project. Repainting the numbers later is no real problem. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Sounds like a plan. Testors it is then.
With any luck, I should be able to layer it up so that it's flush with the surface, and thereby avoid having dried soap accumulate in the numbers.

I have a similar problem with all 3 of my Adjustables:
My Severodonetsk-1 (photo 1 in the case) has no enamel/paint and I get eyestrain trying to read the numbers
My Ideal Adjustable (photo 1) has very faint enamel/paint
My Wizamet W-11 Adjustable (photo 2) has no enamel/paint, but luckily the engraving in nice and deep

Part of me is debating on touching it up, and part of me likes to keep things original.
I'm still not sure either way, but in the meantime, I learned a trick to make adjustment easier.............
I count the clicks

View attachment 684169 $20160704_123905.jpg

John Rose; You do not want the final paint application flush with the surface of the adjuster dial- it should dry slightly below the surface so that the paint within the indicator wells does not abrade off or is removed from cleaning and drying with a cloth. Under magnification, the painted surface should have a concave meniscus due to the paint's surface tension when dry, exactly like viewing the concave meniscus of water in a chemistry test tube. Still, put as much paint inside as you like, but the end result should be as pictured below. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$MGB Shift Pattern Solid Cast Aluminum Gear Shift Knob Unused Full Top View.jpg$MGB MKII 1969 Shift Pattern Knob.jpg$MGB Smiths Heater Control Knobs Restored.jpg$Austin Healey 3000 Choke Knob.jpg$Fat Boy Finale Close View.JPG

Use radium paint! I'm surprised they didn't try that back in the day. Everybody needs glow in the dark numbers. :001_rolle

Ha! Toby; That would be pretty cool- My Heuer Mastertime and Sebring rally clocks, and my Autavia chronograph have quite the half-century eerie glow, as does my Hamilton pilots watch from 1977. They are all painted with Tritium. Those poor radium girls though... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $MGB Rally Heuer Sebring Unrestored Decimal Minute.jpg$MGB Rally Heuer Mastertime Unrestored.jpg$MGB Rally Gear - Heuer Autavia - first triple action wristwa.jpg$MGB Rally Gear - Clipboard1 - note Heuer Mastertime & Sebring.jpg$MGB Rally Gear - USAF Hamilton GGW-113 wristwatch.jpg

Top Bottom