What's new

Loft and a fan knot

I recently picked up a Rubberset 400 and I'm getting a 24mm grade A Silvertip Fan knot to go in it. My question is would I want to set it as deep as I would a bulb? I'm thinking about somewhere between 49 to 51mm. The knot has an overall loft of 65mm. This is my first go with a fan so I'm not really sure. =)

If you use silicone you can experiment with different lofts.

With an assertive tug and slight twist a knot set with silicone will come out. Clean up a bit and try a different depth.

I'd normally say Silicone also but it's a Rubberset 400 handle and that could be tough since it doesn't have a shelf. It might hold enough to let you decide on the height if you just go around the outside of the base with a bead of caulk. Worth a try. I just sold one of mine with a fan knot as I didn't like the knot. It was a silvertip 24mm from TGN and a good knot but just not for me. I had it set at about 49mm. It lathered well enough and looked cool but I just prefer a bulb knot.

You can "set" a shelf.

I didn't have any trouble using silicone alone. I could see setting the knot in silicone and when it's thoroughly cured pouring in enough epoxy just to have a shelf under the silicone. Then you are sure you don't blow out the bottom and you would have an easier base to work with when adjusting the loft later. I really didn't find the need to do so, but I could see doing it anyway to have a shelf to work with later. Would just need more drying time.

I've done it a few times with my Switchback 400 as a matter of fact. I have four different finiels and all but one of them I adjusted and fine tuned using the loft using silicone until I was sure I had achieved the best I could get. Two of them I haven't bothered resetting in epoxy either. The silicone is holding them so well that I see no need to mess with them.

FWIW, I usually set all my 24mm knots at 50mm regardless of shape or type (even synth). It's worked out fine so far but keep in mind this is MY preference. As with all things shaving, YMMV. The fan shape seems to bulb out a little bit with time & use, so after I rinse & squeeze out the excess water I gently smooth it back into shape to finish drying.

Top Bottom