What's new

10 shaves

After 10 shaves with a Mach 3 the razor is still going strong. My original goal was 10 but now it is 15. Only time will tell. I am not sure that I am getting any different quality of shave than with my fatboy and GSB. I do use brush and soap.

I have a Mach 3 cart still on the handle with 75 shaves on it. I really need to get back to it but the Merkur Progress is difficult to say no to first thing in the morning. Granted somewhere in the high 20's number of shaves I began stropping it weekly on denim and that really seems to help.

If I shave 5X a week that's 15 weeks on one cart. If I could get that many shaves from each of 50 carts that's 750 weeks or somewhere just north of 14 years worth of shaving! (if I did my math right)

Now I'm attempting an endurance test on Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless. My previous high point was 15 shaves. The goal in this case is not to strop or otherwise help the blade, but only quit when it no long provides comfortable shaves. We'll see :)

I have a Mach 3 cart still on the handle with 75 shaves on it. I really need to get back to it but the Merkur Progress is difficult to say no to first thing in the morning. Granted somewhere in the high 20's number of shaves I began stropping it weekly on denim and that really seems to help.

If I shave 5X a week that's 15 weeks on one cart. If I could get that many shaves from each of 50 carts that's 750 weeks or somewhere just north of 14 years worth of shaving! (if I did my math right)

Now I'm attempting an endurance test on Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless. My previous high point was 15 shaves. The goal in this case is not to strop or otherwise help the blade, but only quit when it no long provides comfortable shaves. We'll see :)

I'm now on a second cart, it will last me one years because every five or 7 days i use it when i'm in hurry. If we are going to believe gillette's claiming that one cartridge will last 5 week it means that 8pack will be enough for a year (in CRO 8pack costs 20$, for fusion double the price)
Now I use safety razor because I enjoy it i get great shaves, but one thing that bothers me is that dorco blades have variations in quallity, blade I used this morning was used only once in 2 pass shave and got dull during second shave-also 2 pass :blink:

Last edited:
When I use these, they last for 3-4 weeks of daily shaves.

After 10 shaves with a Mach 3 the razor is still going strong. My original goal was 10 but now it is 15. Only time will tell. I am not sure that I am getting any different quality of shave than with my fatboy and GSB. I do use brush and soap.

Well I had my 12 th shave today, and I am through. I had to get my fatboy out to finish up the shave. I could not get a close enough shave under my chin with the Mach 3. I made many passes over the same area in every direction possible. At $1.55 a cartridge that about 13 cents per shave for blades. That is the cost of one DE blade. If your a one shave and throw it away guy then cost are about the same. If like me with 4 or 5 shaves per blade you are way ahead using a DE.

Next I am going to see what my GEM lightweight can do. My time with the Mach 3 is over except as a travel razor.

Those numbers sound about right. I get about 2-3 weeks from Mach 3 and 3-4 weeks from Fusion.

Since you mentioned Gems, with a Gem Push button and a Gem stainless blade I get 10 shaves before blade replacement.

I've used mostly the Mach 3 Turbo since 2005. I get 15-20 shaves from a cartridge before it starts tugging. Just rinse thoroughly and dry after using. I'm trying DE shaving now and get 4 shaves per blade.

I used Mach 3 carts before I switched. For me the difference between them and my FatBoy or any single blade razor is massive.

Top Bottom