What's new

Your shiny dome?

So, I shave my head too... I am a recent convert to the safety razor thanks to all of your fabulous peeps here.. So... I am asking for tips. I am a little learly on shaving my head just yet with the safety razor. Can you all give me some tips?

I have tried injectors, various DE including slant, SEs, and Cobra.

On my nugget, Cobra worked the best. However, for a quick shave without nicks, it's hard to beat the HeadBlade. I feed it generic Atara cartages from the FleeBay.

YMMV

I use the same razor on my face and head and I pretty much shave daily and start a new razor/blade every four days. I do two passes on my face and 3 on my head. Slow, shorter strokes, listen for feedback, take your time. I had a DFS today with a 1953 Superspeed, but was getting BBS on the dome from my 1969 Super 109 earlier in the week. For modern razors, the Merkur 37c and Fatip Piccolo give a great head shave.

If I had to pick one razor for my head shaves, it would be my 48-50 Aristocrat. My 46/47 is great for starting a blade with but quits after about 10 head and face shaves.

I used the 48-50 Aristocrat today with an Astra SP that has 21 face and head shaves on it, with a few more to go.

I would also recommend a postwar Tech, also a top head shaver for me.

After you get comfortable, I recommend playing with the Fatboy, or other Gillette adjustables.

Drawing blood on my head is extremely rare.

I use the 46/47 Aristocrat, 48-50 Aristocrat, and then the Fatboy on level 9 for the life of a blade, in that order. I get around 30 face and head shaves from a blade now.

BBS everyday.

I shave my head every couple days, I've used Gems, Muhle R41, Red Tips and other SuperSpeeds, but my favorite is a fat handle Gillette Tech, either pre or post war and a nice sharp blade. Light, maneuverable, and mild. Two passes and a little touch up for a damn near BBS every time. Just go slow, no pressure, map your head like you do your face. You'll get your own head shaving technique down in no time!

Hello, I shave my head every three days. I like the Maggard V2 head with Personna labs, it is mild yet efficient. My first pass is against the grain the second is a simple clean up. My scalp is no where as sensitive as my face.

It takes me SO long to shave my head with a DE razor (I tried my EJ89, Super Speed red and medium tips, and Lord 6) and just as long with a long-ago discarded Gillette multi-blade that I switched to Head Blade (with cheap, probably Dorco, two-blade cartridges). The HB has worked great for me (with Arko, Palmolive, or LEA sticks and a scrubby, fairly old Omega synthetic).

It's not that big of a deal. I prefer mild razors like Gillette Techs for head shaving. They're efficient and maneuverable, exactly what I need.
Just follow the rules, map your hair growth, use a very light touch, you'll be fine. I find my scalp is actually much more forgiving than my face or throat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom