What's new

Cold Water Shaving?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I lather and prep with hot water (warm, really, but also a hot shower). It's all cold after that.

I use a cold water rinse for the razor. To me it feels good on the face. I do everything else with warm to hot water, brush soak, pre shave wet down, rinse after (before a cold final rinse)

Well, I just had my first cold water shave.

This may be incorrect, but I took a hot shower. If the correct way to cold water shave is to shower in cold water, then I won't do it. I love my hot showers.
Anyway, the shave went great! I wouldn't say it's as "luxurious", but there was noticeably less irritation in certain spots. I went ahead and used the coldest water my tab could do. Why not? I can't say I really enjoyed feeling cold metal on my skin, but the blade cut just as good as hot water. And I even shaved AGT on my chin, which I usually don't do, and it didn't hurt at all! Completely BBS all over, except on the lower parts of my neck (I get razor bumps if I shave AGT there). Splashed some AV Blue Ice on, afterwards, to top it off.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this experience. I was scared to try cold water, but I might do it more often.. Except maybe with lukewarm instead of ice cold.

+1 for cold water shaving!

Every so often I do mainly in summer. It's a nice change don't notice a difference regarding irritation or not.

Never hurts to try

-Stephen

Hi I do hot shower to soften, then cold water shave. It reduced irritation when I started, and now I just find it way easier. No worrying about things cooling off, ect.

Jeremy

Inspired by some of the comments in this thread, I decided to shave with cold water this evening. Aside from the initial shock (went as cold as my faucet would go) I have to say I was extremely happy with the results. Very little irritation and was able to get a lot more shave in, 4 passes plus touchups. I think I'm a convert

Inspired by some of the comments in this thread, I decided to shave with cold water this evening. Aside from the initial shock (went as cold as my faucet would go) I have to say I was extremely happy with the results. Very little irritation and was able to get a lot more shave in, 4 passes plus touchups. I think I'm a convert

Glad to hear that it worked for you as well! Did you notice if the blade was cutting the same?

I'm a committed cold water shaver. My scuttle now is used for ice water. I simply get a noticeably superior shave, closer and with no irritation . If I lived in an old house in Green Bay I might give the ice water a pass in the winter...but I don't.

I started with hot water shaving, but with our drought in California (now in year 5), I felt guilty about running so much water to get hot water... I just gave up and tried shaving with (tap temp) cold water.

Now I shave exclusively with cold water. It just seems to work better for me.

I've never used a cold shave before, at least not in the full sense. I've done touch ups with it, but never a full shave.

Cool, not cold water for me. The few times I tried cold water I actually increased irritation because the skin of my neck tended to "goose bump", presenting an irregular surface that didn't go well with my blade.

I don't enjoy cold water. Even if the shave was superior I just have no desire to use cold water. A nice hot water shave is my preference.

Some may like a cold water shave... I've had to do it enough times that I'll happily proclaim 'Never Again!!' I'll grow a beard before I ever take a cold water shave again!!!

I really like cold water shaving when its warm or hot weather.
But I'll admit that even though I know the water, the brush and the lather are all cold since I made them just seconds before, it is always a shock when the brush first hits the skin.....:w00t:
I get great shaves and lots less irritation, I think.
About 40 years ago when I first attempted non-cartridge shaving, I used the hottest water I could get out of the tap and got razor burns from the actual razor.
But even when I use "hot" water in winter, it's never more than a comfortable 90F or 100F.
Post shave rinses are cool to cold, regardless.

Top Bottom