What's new

Looking at a Writing Tool.

I have been creeping around here for a while and now I am looking for help on my first post here .. I looking to get my first pen as I have a tendency to write alot through out the day.. With me I carry a small note book to help remember everything I need to and have several repair logs and electronic notes .. Also I have a lot of paper work for my dump truck .. I am trying to stick with a fine point with blue or black ink, but prefer black .. Do you have any suggestions ?? Oh I almost forgot I don't have alot of money to play with..

Thanks

Are you looking for a fountain pen in particular or a 'regular pen?'

As far as fountain pens go, I'd say you would be well served with a Pilot Metropolitan in Fine or Medium. They can be had in the $15 or less price bracket, and you can add ink cartridges or a bottle of blue or black ink of your choice and be set for a good long while.

Are you looking for a fountain pen in particular or a 'regular pen?'

As far as fountain pens go, I'd say you would be well served with a Pilot Metropolitan in Fine or Medium. They can be had in the $15 or less price bracket, and you can add ink cartridges or a bottle of blue or black ink of your choice and be set for a good long while.

+1.

I use a Pilot Metropolitan and the lower-cost Platinum Preppie, both in fine point, and am satisfied in how they write. That said, fountain pens and some of the grit I'm around and working conditions (frequent, but not constant, pen use) has reluctantly led me to leave my fountain pens at home.

I never had a problem using a fountain pen jotting down note in a pocket notebook, but it was precisely kneeling over a hole with my hands in dirt and then jotting down information with my Metropolitan that led me to admit this wasn't working too well for this application. I still use and like fountain pens, just they don't work well for me at work or in home repair situations.

What I use now for work and such situations is the Uni-Ball 207 Ultra Micro in black. It's low cost; the ink is water resistant, which means sweat isn't going to make it run; is supposedly UV resistant; is fraud resistant; and may be archival (not sure about the latter). If you need to read your notes years later, this means it shouldn't fade.

That said, the most popular pen at work is the Pilot G-2 in 0.38 mm. It's also low cost and makes a thicker line than the 207 Ultra Micro, but is a smooth writer. I don't know how well the ink will hold up under time; it's not billed as fraud resistant; and though I've never had problems with it and sweat, I'm not sure if it's waterproof. I've also had occasional leaks, but it's rare.

Both these pens are gel pens. Gels tend to write smoother than ball points.

Well I am not really sure what to get .. Personal I have never owned or used a fountian pen before in my life .. I use to check them out though when a girlfriend of mine would get them for her boyfriend that collected fountain pens.

[MENTION=94131]Raissermesser[/MENTION]
Thanks for the excellent point.

For work situations where a fountain pen might not be practical, a Pilot Dr. Grip Gel pen would be my recommendation. Not expensive, but writes well and is very comfortable to use. If you're in an office or other "clean" environment, a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen is my regular recommendation for a starter pen.

From the description you gave, it sounds like it might be more convenient for you to have a pocket type pen/one that can take a bit of abuse. I would recommend a Kaweco sport with a fine point. As for black ink, Aurora black is my favorite black.

Pilot Metro ballpoint uses G2 refills. Metal body, snap cap and plenty of colors/designs from which to choose to make it uniquely yours. $15ish for the pen, refills are a couple of bucks for a two-pack. Different line widths and ink colors available.

My plan was to get a roller for work and fountain for home..I had a Parker Vector roller which I really loved but some how it got lost.. The only problems I really have is the ink drying time for my paperwork so it doesn't smudge or such. Also I was looking to get maybe a Fisher space pen for work ??

For work situations where a fountain pen might not be practical, a Pilot Dr. Grip Gel pen would be my recommendation. Not expensive, but writes well and is very comfortable to use. If you're in an office or other "clean" environment, a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen is my regular recommendation for a starter pen.
Yeah I don't don't think a Fountain pen will good for work either.. I managed to get a Dr.Grip and writes pretty good and feels nice but the ink smudges alot and takes a while to dry..
From the description you gave, it sounds like it might be more convenient for you to have a pocket type pen/one that can take a bit of abuse. I would recommend a Kaweco sport with a fine point. As for black ink, Aurora black is my favorite black.
Those are really nice and would love to get my hands on the Aluminum version..

Pilot Metro ballpoint uses G2 refills. Metal body, snap cap and plenty of colors/designs from which to choose to make it uniquely yours. $15ish for the pen, refills are a couple of bucks for a two-pack. Different line widths and ink colors available.
Will have to check them out..

Oh my favorite

Zebra F-701

Last edited:
I like the Lamy Safari because you simply snap the cap on. It is super lightweight and if you are not particular to a color they can be found for around $15-$20. Pen size same in fountain and rollerball.

I like the Lamy Safari because you simply snap the cap on. It is super lightweight and if you are not particular to a color they can be found for around $15-$20. Pen size same in fountain and rollerball.

I would love to get a black or dark green Lamy Safari but right now I don't have the money to get started unless I sell my slim or trade for starter set or something...

Ditto on the Uni-Ball 207 posted above. It's waterproof, writes a fine line and writes very smoothly. I am relatively new to fountain pens and have been using inexpensive fountain pens at work. I work in a busy hospital step-down unit and my work environment is very hectic. I've managed to kill both my Pilot Metro (smooth nib) as well as a Platinum Preppie by dropping them on the floor. I was going to replace these with a Lamy Safari but was hesitant as I might break it again.

Instead of getting the Lamy, what I did today was order on E-Bay a set of eight Jinhao 599a & 599c combo. These are Lamy Safari lookalikes that write well. 4 solid colors and 4 translucent. The cost was $8.95 with free shipping. I won't get it till about two weeks later but I don't mind. If a pen breaks, I wouldn't mind as it would be $1+ each. I'm splitting the pens with my 12 year old daughter and as she likes purple ink I ordered Chesterfield Amethyst, Fire Opal and Antique Orchid 50 ml bottles with free shipping from xfountainpens. You could go this route and save some money.

I take notes all the time with my Kaweco Sport classic, black, with a fine nib. It's a small pen, takes international cartridges. Maybe $30, plus two bucks for the clip. Best pen I own. I've also written long essays with it, no problems, sweet nib. Goulet Pens or Jetpens sell them.

+1 I have a Lamy Safari in clear and it is always a conversation starter.

Top Bottom