What's new

My guess why straight razors give me a better shave.

When I started using a straight razor, I was switching from a open comb slant DE and Feather DE blades for many years. I did not hold out much hope that I would get a better shave with a Straight, but wanted to give it a try. To my surprise, I was soon getting the best shaves of my life. I have been wondering how this is possible. My skin stretching is the same technique, as is my prep and same # of passes (four). I doubt that I am honing my blade sharper than the Feather DE blades. BUT, I have noticed something that I have been doing unconsciously that I think may be the reason for the superior shaves I have been getting with straight razor use. On each subsequent pass I am decreasing the angle of attack of the razor. Somehow I was decreasing this angle without thinking about it during the steps of beard reduction. Of course, this is just a supposition on my part, but I can think of no other reason. Either way, I won't go back to DE's.:thumbup:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It's all about finding what works for you and running with it. Well done!

Wasn't it amazing how much better your bicycle became, once you were able to ride without the training wheels? Safety bars and combs are the same, imo.

I think you are correct in thinking that it is in the angle. I have not used a DE since I was a teen, carts until three years ago, but I think DEs and carts are set up to shave a bit steeper than optimum from a practical design, so that they shave reliably on all the parts of your face. The longer I've been using straights, the flatter my angle has become.

^i agree.
straights give greater control of edge angle to skin.
Due to geometry.
De's and carts cannot get to such shallow angle.

For me (aside from the aforementioned shave angle control) the custom honing to fine tune the blade adds infinitely to the satisfaction.

I think also the fact the you have PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to what you are doing with a sharp piece of steel near your throat may have something to do with it.

Top Bottom