What's new

The Scotch Whisky Road

It also means the selection is often limited as all the stores get the same stock. There are a few Premium Collection stores that have a nicer selection.
Don't get me wrong, my wine of choice is whatever the Chairman has Selected in a nice, robust red, though I'm seeing more and more Italians these days. CA Pinot Noirs and Spanish tempranillos in the 10-20 dollar ranges (68% off!!!) usually ends up in my basket. I wish the Chairman would Select a good Single Malt once in a while :)

Don't get me wrong, my wine of choice is whatever the Chairman has Selected in a nice, robust red, though I'm seeing more and more Italians these days. CA Pinot Noirs and Spanish tempranillos in the 10-20 dollar ranges (68% off!!!) usually ends up in my basket. I wish the Chairman would Select a good Single Malt once in a while :)
+1

New to this sub of badger and blade but I am certainly a lover of whisky . I would suggest Glenfarclas 25 year old Single Malt. It is sublime.

My dad just got back from Scotland on business and picked me up a bottle of Lagavulin 16(so it was like 1/2 price :001_smile).

Definitely enjoying it.

Well, after finishing my bottle of The Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask (which was good, but not on my restock list) I decided to try an Oban 14. Oh my. It's good. If I had to pick a nice, Fall Scotch Whisky this would be it. Great earthy tones, nutty, apples, citrus, tobacco and even a little chocolate - all topped of with just a hint of smoke and peat. Very lovely indeed.

This will definitely be the whisky that takes me into the colder months...

$IMG_2001.jpg

Because of this thread I purchased a bottle of Glenmorangie 10. I am new to single malt scotch. I have had Glenlivet 12, which was good but not good enough to buy again at $35. Unfortunately I would have to wait until Friday to have the Glenmorangie, nonetheless I'm excited.

Because of this thread I purchased a bottle of Glenmorangie 10. I am new to single malt scotch. I have had Glenlivet 12, which was good but not good enough to buy again at $35. Unfortunately I would have to wait until Friday to have the Glenmorangie, nonetheless I'm excited.

Ohh nice! Let us know how you like it.
I enjoy the Scotch reviews by members here at B&B.

:sailor:

That's a good single malt. I think you'll like it a lot.

I have been enjoying Glenmorangie 10 over the weekend. Very smooth and floral. I tried different amounts of water and settled on a few drops.
After this bottle I'd like to try something different.

Well, after finishing my bottle of The Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask (which was good, but not on my restock list) I decided to try an Oban 14. Oh my. It's good. If I had to pick a nice, Fall Scotch Whisky this would be it. Great earthy tones, nutty, apples, citrus, tobacco and even a little chocolate - all topped of with just a hint of smoke and peat. Very lovely indeed.

This will definitely be the whisky that takes me into the colder months...

View attachment 690891
Just now seeing this post. This is one of my favorites. Outstanding selection!

Just now seeing this post. This is one of my favorites. Outstanding selection!

And you just reminded me to pour myself a dram of this. I've really been enjoying it, but I don't see it on many other's lists. I was hesitant to buy it as Ralfy's Whisky Site ralfy.com gave it a mixed bag review, but I'm thoroughly enjoying every drop of it. Although I love Ralfy's reviews and insights and his all around good nature, from time to time I'm able to disagree with him a wee bit on his malt marks with points garnished in my favor. This is one of those whiskies where it sounded like the shortcomings were too much and overshadowed something much greater. I found those "shortcomings" to be more balanced and not very distracting at all.

With such an amazing variety of single malt Scotch available, I would whole heartedly recommend this one as it gives a unique view on what Scotch Whiskies taste like. The peat and smoke is very refined, and there's a strong citrus and honey and nougat rush on the outset, which softens to a salty mineral and chocolate finish, with just s teeny tiny bit of band aid at the very end, and not in a bad way at all.

I think my Talisker 10 will be the natural choice after finishing the Oban 14, as I do enjoy the peat and smoke during the colder months.

Cheers!

And you just reminded me to pour myself a dram of this. I've really been enjoying it, but I don't see it on many other's lists. I was hesitant to buy it as Ralfy's Whisky Site ralfy.com gave it a mixed bag review, but I'm thoroughly enjoying every drop of it. Although I love Ralfy's reviews and insights and his all around good nature, from time to time I'm able to disagree with him a wee bit on his malt marks with points garnished in my favor. This is one of those whiskies where it sounded like the shortcomings were too much and overshadowed something much greater. I found those "shortcomings" to be more balanced and not very distracting at all.

With such an amazing variety of single malt Scotch available, I would whole heartedly recommend this one as it gives a unique view on what Scotch Whiskies taste like. The peat and smoke is very refined, and there's a strong citrus and honey and nougat rush on the outset, which softens to a salty mineral and chocolate finish, with just s teeny tiny bit of band aid at the very end, and not in a bad way at all.

I think my Talisker 10 will be the natural choice after finishing the Oban 14, as I do enjoy the peat and smoke during the colder months.

Cheers!

Love your descriptions.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
According to you guys, much is a dram in terms of volume?
Well, that's quite a question. Different places seem to have different ideas on that. However, when you're pouring for yourself or a friend, a dram is just the right amount for the moment.

I have been enjoying Glenmorangie 10 over the weekend. Very smooth and floral. I tried different amounts of water and settled on a few drops.
After this bottle I'd like to try something different.

Well, I kept my word and bought something different, Laphroaig 10. I have never had a drink like that. Taste wise very different than Glenmorangie 10.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Well, I kept my word and bought something different, Laphroaig 10. I have never had a drink like that. Taste wise very different than Glenmorangie 10.

Whoa, yeah. VERY different. If you've never had an Islay Scotch, well, you just jumped right in with both feet. I love smoky stuff, and even I need to be in the right mood to enjoy a Laphroaig (which is more often than not). Enjoy it, and take your time with it. That time will be rewarded.

If you want to get an Islay that's milder on the smoke to compare with or to work more gently up to Laphroaig, look at Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Both have an array of great whiskys.

Whoa, yeah. VERY different. If you've never had an Islay Scotch, well, you just jumped right in with both feet. I love smoky stuff, and even I need to be in the right mood to enjoy a Laphroaig (which is more often than not). Enjoy it, and take your time with it. That time will be rewarded.

If you want to get an Islay that's milder on the smoke to compare with or to work more gently up to Laphroaig, look at Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Both have an array of great whiskys.

Excellent recommendations. I might also add Talisker 10. While not an Islay (it's an Island - the only distillery on The Isle of Sky) it has an excellent balance of peat/smoke and friut/spice. One of my favorites so far. I also noticed that the Costco in my area had the Laphroaig 10 on special - a 2 bottle deal. Can't remember the price, but it was tempting. I need to finish a bit of what I already have before rabbit hole-ing anymore ;-)

Top Bottom