What's new

Best blade for a Wolfman?

Hey guys, I recently finally got my hands on a Wolfman WR1-DC. I've been using an ATT S1 for the past year along with Astra SP blades and getting excellent shaves. The Astras have always been my go-to blade in any razor and have given fantastic results. This new Wolfman (standard blade gap) is tearing my face up, though! :blushing: No matter how little pressure I use or how slow I go, I am cutting my face and head all over the place! I'm not talking weepers, I mean taking chunks of skin and actually cutting me. James said he would reduce the blade gap for me, but wants me to give it a few weeks to get used to the razor first. Do you guys have any suggestions on blades you've found to work well with the Wolfman? My head and neck would thank you!

I use Personna Labs, Polsilver, and Rapira Platinum Lux in mine. Have you tried palm stropping your blade before you shave? I find that it helps smooth out the coating.

Sorry about the Astras! (Wolfman is a terrific razor IME.)

My top 5 for the WR1 (in no particular order): Astra SP!!, German Wilkinson sword, GSB, Personna (Israeli) red, Personna lab blues. Hope this helps, but based on your experience with Astras YMMV!

Had the exact same problem. Purchased sample pack of blades, kept notes on all blades and managed to cut myself with all of them. Feathers made my face and sink a mess. Considered selling it and going back to carts. Experimented with several creams with no joy.
Something finally clicked and now it's a dream to use. Just kept on slowing down, trying not to put any additional pressure other than its own weight. Took me a while and the final result is just what you have read by so many posters.
Good luck and stick with it. Be gentle.

I've only used Astra SPs in mine (WR1-OC, with larger, 0.74mm blade gap). Every shave so far has been extremely smooth, with no irritation, cuts, weepers, etc.

Have you only used 1 Astra SP blade? If so, maybe it's a dud.

Are you getting similar results with both sides of the razor (SB and OC)? Try experimenting with the angle and using lighter pressure.

I've only used Astra SPs in mine (WR1-OC, with larger, 0.74mm blade gap). Every shave so far has been extremely smooth, with no irritation, cuts, weepers, etc.

Have you only used 1 Astra SP blade? If so, maybe it's a dud.

Are you getting similar results with both sides of the razor (SB and OC)? Try experimenting with the angle and using lighter pressure.

Yeah, I'm getting the same results with both sides. It feels like this thing is raping my face :bored:. I'll give the other blades a shot and see what happens. Not the results I expected with this thing after hearing so many hundreds of reviews no how smooth and mild it was... Hopefully I can get the hang of it!

Update: I tried the Polsilver SI blade in the Wolfman last night. I also really took my time and concentrated on my angle. Aside from cutting a mole on the back of my head (not the first time), I had one of the best shaves of my life! I think I had been spoiled by the "autopilot" of the S1. When I had the right angle, I couldn't even feel the blade at all. I had to check and make sure it was actually cutting anything! Thanks for all the advice! Glad I stuck with it!:thumbup:

Hey guys, just out of curiosity, could anyone possible please post a pic of their standard gap WR-1 with a blade in it? I just want to see how your blade gap compares to mine. Thanks in advance!

I had a similar experience when I first got my Weber PH. I think maybe it was the weight of the razor after only using a 34C? A solid SS razor is definitely a different beast.

In any case its my favorite razor now, and I have some other nice razors. When I shave now I can't even imagine what I was doing to make it so harsh, but after a month or so of bad shaves perseverance paid off and it became great for me.

Hey guys, I recently finally got my hands on a Wolfman WR1-DC. I've been using an ATT S1 for the past year along with Astra SP blades and getting excellent shaves. The Astras have always been my go-to blade in any razor and have given fantastic results. This new Wolfman (standard blade gap) is tearing my face up, though! :blushing: No matter how little pressure I use or how slow I go, I am cutting my face and head all over the place! I'm not talking weepers, I mean taking chunks of skin and actually cutting me. James said he would reduce the blade gap for me, but wants me to give it a few weeks to get used to the razor first. Do you guys have any suggestions on blades you've found to work well with the Wolfman? My head and neck would thank you!

I also just got a Wolfman and I do experience the same results as you and after 20 years of shaving only with DE razors 3 of them in the Army I am surprised to get rough results like that with a razor that's build like nothing else in this world but I know why.
Wolfman razors are designed and built naturally rough and that's because there is no room for the blade to chatter. If you put it next to other razors you would see what I am talking about. The head of the Wolfman holds the blade at the edge and the small amount of blade sticking out pass the head can't move that's why the razor is rough. Changing the gap won't do much except making it less efficient but it is gonna be rough. Open comb or not wouldn't make much difference. It all comes from the blade not being able to move. I guess you have sensitive skin same as me. On my face the Wolfman does great but when I go below my jawline that's where the bloody battle begins. Guys with good skin won't have that problem and that's why so many do enjoy the Wolfman. I have used all kinds of razors in all those years and never had rough results like I do with the Wolfman. I absolutely love the looks and the way that is build but I would have to let it go because it's not useful to me.

I also just got a Wolfman and I do experience the same results as you and after 20 years of shaving only with DE razors 3 of them in the Army I am surprised to get rough results like that with a razor that's build like nothing else in this world but I know why.
Wolfman razors are designed and built naturally rough and that's because there is no room for the blade to chatter. If you put it next to other razors you would see what I am talking about. The head of the Wolfman holds the blade at the edge and the small amount of blade sticking out pass the head can't move that's why the razor is rough. Changing the gap won't do much except making it less efficient but it is gonna be rough. Open comb or not wouldn't make much difference. It all comes from the blade not being able to move. I guess you have sensitive skin same as me. On my face the Wolfman does great but when I go below my jawline that's where the bloody battle begins. Guys with good skin won't have that problem and that's why so many do enjoy the Wolfman. I have used all kinds of razors in all those years and never had rough results like I do with the Wolfman. I absolutely love the looks and the way that is build but I would have to let it go because it's not useful to me.

I would personally disagree. A blade that is stiffer will always provide a smoother shave.

Top Bottom