What's new

Gift for the wife

Okay, so I have been looking around on this forum for a few weeks now and let me tell you...I am still a bit overwhelmed. I have been using my Pilot Metropolitan with Medium Nib and really enjoying it. The wife has a birthday coming up and she has been eyeing my pen as of late. So I would like to get a decent FP for her but nothing too expensive. My wife is a lawyer and so I would like to get her a nice classic/conservative looking pen. Also, looking more for a workhorse type of pen and nothing for the special occasion like signing peace treaties or constitutions or anything. I want to make sure I get her something that she will use. And finally, I want to get her a nice looking blue ink or possibly blue/black. Something that will write smoothly and consistently and can write on pretty much any type of paper. So here is the hard part. I would like to keep the pen somewhere between the $50.00 to $75.00 range and the total package under $100.00 if possible. I am willing to fudge a little on the price, but it will have to be worth it.

I know a lot of these have been posted and apologize if this is an inconvenience to anyone, but like I said. I am a little overwhelmed by it all. Any help provided is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just throwing some ideas out there but based on what you would like to get maybe a pilot custom 74 with a con 70 converter and bottle of Diamine majestic blue might be around your price range. Good luck with the search!

Just throwing some ideas out there but based on what you would like to get maybe a pilot custom 74 with a con 70 converter and bottle of Diamine majestic blue might be around your price range. Good luck with the search!
[MENTION=103890]kcore[/MENTION] Thanks for the suggestion! I had really passed up on that until you suggested it. They are quite a bit out of my price range on Goulet but seem to be almost half the price on that other site. I think that Blue is an amazing color. It seems as if Diamine inks get a lot of love around here.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If she is a "takes lots of notes" person, get a apiston filler. The best options are the Pilot custom heritage 92, or a Pelikan 210 or higher. My preference is for the Pilot ... Japanese ebay sellers will get it for you at about $120 or so. The Pilot is more modern looking, and the Pelikan is more classic. These may be a bit over your price rnage, but ... a lot better than what you could get in your price range ... Noodlers Konrad or TWSBI.

If she is a "take notes occasionally" then any cartridge/converter pen is fine ... but I suggest a Pilot vanisihing point. They come in two different nibs in terms of gold content, and if you get the one that has less gold, they are reasonably priced for your pricerange. Again, Japanese ebay is your best bet.

For ink, a good Registrar ink ... Diamine or ESS ... is a great, no nonsense starting point.

Well she has been eyeing your Pilot Metropolitan fp? Perhaps get her another Metropolitan fp as well but a different colour? I have a Cross Radiance that isn`t being made anymore but one can still easily buy a new one through various online places and I think it`s a very nice looking conservative pen. There is also the Pilot 78G or Pilot Solo all can be easily bought online and they all write excellent and all look great. Maybe for inks Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite or Parker Blue black Quink Ink? They`re both very well behaved inks and well liked by many. By going this route you will certainly have some change left over for other things as well.

A couple of years ago I got my wife a Sailor 1911 in yellow with a standard medium nib. She absolutely loves it and uses it almost daily. There are quite a few colors and nib varieties to choose from. Their inks are pretty good as well.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I will take a look at these and consider them. I know I should spend a bit more on this, but a couple of things. I want to make sure she uses it before I break the bank and this year hasn't been the kindest in respect to career earnings so the wife and I have scaled back on some things. Thanks again!

You can get a Pelikan M200 or M205 for about $100 through Japanese sellers on Amazon. A Platinum 3776 Century for $75-100 same place.

Diamine Blue Black is a good ink.

There have been a lot of good suggestions as far as pens on here for you to choose from. As far as the ink you might want to check out the color of the ink she writes with daily, I'm not sure if blue or black ink would be better. you might want to ask here what color she uses to sign legal papers and go with that ink. I know she has to use blue or black ink to sign them I'm just not sure which.

There have been a lot of good suggestions as far as pens on here for you to choose from. As far as the ink you might want to check out the color of the ink she writes with daily, I'm not sure if blue or black ink would be better. you might want to ask here what color she uses to sign legal papers and go with that ink. I know she has to use blue or black ink to sign them I'm just not sure which.

Thanks for the suggestion...this is something we talk about at length believe it or not...yes I know...we are nerds. She uses blue ink almost exclusively. This is for many different reasons, but mostly this is because when you photo copy something and you signed a paper in black ink, often it is very hard to tell what is the copy and what is the signature. Blue ink is much harder to confuse. There are a myriad of other reasons also.

What about the Monteverde Invincia Stealth Fountain Pen? Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this pen? It seems like it gets good reviews. I know it's not quite on the classic looking side of things but it is very eye catching and I know the wife would love the way this looks! It exactly in the price range I am looking for also.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What about the Monteverde Invincia Stealth Fountain Pen? Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this pen? It seems like it gets good reviews. I know it's not quite on the classic looking side of things but it is very eye catching and I know the wife would love the way this looks! It exactly in the price range I am looking for also.

I think you could do a lot better with $60-70. For me, it's got an uncomfortable step in the grip area and a metal grip section as well. I find metal sections to sometimes be slippery and hard to hold.

I'd recommend a couple brands that begin with the letter P and not Parker.

If you can kick it up to $75, you can get a Platinum 3776 Century off of Amazon. Gold nib, beautiful pen, great writer!

$61i9cYFwnxL._SL1500_.jpg

When is her birthday, @dangerousdon? Are we too late? Did you find a winner yet?

Her birthday is this Sunday. I did decide on a couple of things and made some purchases. I read and watched a lot of reviews in the process. I am always a sucker for things that are eye catching and I found something that i think was a great value so it left me room to get something else for her.

First off I decided on the Monteverde Jewelria Black Carbon Fiber Fine Nib. Goulet pens has it listed for $56.00 and I have seen it a lot more than that at other places. I picked it up for almost $20.00 off. I know there are probably other pens out there that are better, but this one has favorable reviews and it looks the part of my wife's job. I went with a medium priced to lower priced pen now, because in the next six months she will be getting an important raise (Deputy General Counsel) and I plan on buying her a much nicer pen for the occasion. So I will be asking for advice at that time too.

$MV Jewelria Corbon Fiber.jpg

I also went with a bottle of Diamine Majestic Blue... Kevin [MENTION=103890]kcore[/MENTION] suggested it and I love the color of it.

$Diamine Majestic Blue.jpg

This allowed me to get something additional for her. We have a local jewelry designer around our parts that takes antique buttons and uses them to make jewelry. My wife goes crazy over this stuff. So I was able to get her an open cuff bangle style bracelet. All in all I think I did pretty well. We will see on Sunday.

Don, Congrats to your Wife on her upcoming promotion. I think you did a fine job with your choice...I'm sure her colleagues will notice and be a bit jealous :clap:.

Don, Congrats to your Wife on her upcoming promotion. I think you did a fine job with your choice...I'm sure her colleagues will notice and be a bit jealous :clap:.

Thanks! I am thinking for her next pen...if she like this one...maybe something along the lines of a Montblanc, Edison, Pelikan, etc. But I have a lot to learn about pens and I will probably change my mind a few times.

Thanks! I am thinking for her next pen...if she like this one...maybe something along the lines of a Montblanc, Edison, Pelikan, etc. But I have a lot to learn about pens and I will probably change my mind a few times.
Even more important than your mind, is hers. Once she gets a chance to use the pen for a while, she'll probably have an idea of the things she likes (and dislikes) about it. Future pen purchases should be based on that feedback. The fun part is there's so many different combinations to try!

Even more important than your mind, is hers. Once she gets a chance to use the pen for a while, she'll probably have an idea of the things she likes (and dislikes) about it. Future pen purchases should be based on that feedback. The fun part is there's so many different combinations to try!
Most definitely, I guess I didn't phrase my statement very well.

Sent from the Danger Phone

Top Bottom